RIP Cecil

MacMadame

Doing all the things
And this one's a gynecologist. Yuck.
Gynecologist oncologist. That means he deals with cancer patients. If I had uterine cancer, I would not want a big game hunter treating me. I would be too disgusted and upset every time I went to his office.

Japanfan

Gynecologist oncologist. That means he deals with cancer patients. If I had uterine cancer, I would not want a big game hunter treating me. I would be too disgusted and upset every time I went to his office.

Cancer treatment, or pap, I sure wouldn't want him touching me down there!

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Doctor again. American doctors are in huge stress constantly and they decide that killing wild lives is a way to keep themselves from killing their patients? Sorry I am just being skeptical.
This is such an extreme generalization of American doctors & it is really not necessary in order to discuss two individuals who are involved in hunting clubs comprised of members with a wide variety of careers. Many of us have stressed doctors in our families who are not killing wild animals so they don't kill their patients. :(

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I watched CNN interview of a man who paid $350,000 to kill a rhino for a horn. He had no regrets. These people have money to burn and no qualms about killing animals for entertainment. It makes me sick.

Meoima

This is such an extreme generalization of American doctors & it is really not necessary in order to discuss two individuals who are involved in hunting clubs comprised of members with a wide variety of careers. Many of us have stressed doctors in our families who are not killing wild animals so they don't kill their patients. :(
Sure, this sport is for rich guys. I would have thought lawyers, brokers, investors... but it turns out doctors too.

rvi5

Cachoo

Wtf? I've now seen two "huntresses" with pictures of them with their dead giraffes. How can they argue this is sport? Giraffes are tall, elegant and not particularly fast. And so many in these areas have had some contact with humans so they aren't necessarly that afraid either. I don't want to hurt anyone. What I wish is that I could control a person's dreams each night. And I think I would make the huntresses know what it feels like to be hunted. My wish is that a night of dream fright would make them reconsider.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Wtf? I've now seen two "huntresses" with pictures of them with their dead giraffes. How can they argue this is sport? Giraffes are tall, elegant and not particularly fast. And so many in these areas have had some contact with humans so they aren't necessarly that afraid either. I don't want to hurt anyone. What I wish is that I could control a person's dreams each night. And I think I would make the huntresses know what it feels like to be hunted. My wish is that a night of dream fright would make them reconsider.[/QUOTE]

Sadly they will dismiss it as just a bad dream. Nothing will improve

Last edited:

Cachoo

This is a beautiful tribute. Do you know the title of the music used for the tribute?

I wanted to add what I believe Cecil's death means. My mother and I talked about this and she used the Civil Rights movement in her example. The court case desegregating schools occurred in 1952. Rosa Parks refused to yield her seat in 1953. The importance of these events are paramount.
But for my mother her "ENOUGH" moment came when she saw what happened to Emmett Till. His torture and death enraged and shocked her. And from that moment she vocally supported the Civil Rights movement.
Sometimes I think there are many of us that feel the same way about an issue but we have so many other activities crowding our day that the issue might take a backseat. I think Cecil will not have died in vain because he brought the issue of trophy hunting front and center. I don't know if laws will change. What I do know is that many school children saw what happened to Cecil and hopefully they will grow up knowing they have no interest in killing for a trophy. And the "sport" will have a quick death because of new laws or a slow death as people turn against the practice.

Last edited:

Artemis@BC

Do you know the title of the music used for the tribute?

About a gazillion comments on YouTube asking the same thing, and no (correct) answers yet. It sounds like an original public domain piece to me. Whatever it is, though, it's an absolutely perfect accompaniment to the art.

Artemis@BC

Delta has agreed to end shipment of "animal trophies":

Lots of airlines getting onboard with this, including American and United in the US, and a bunch of international airlines (including British Airways, Brussels Airlines, Iberia Airways, IAG Cargo, Singapore Airlines, Qatar, Qantas, Emirates, Etihad and Lufthansa).

Air Canada has said they won't carry African game trophies, but have no problem with "legally hunted" trophies from North America. How on earth they're going to distinguish between a legally and illegally shot bear is beyond me ... :wall:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Lots of airlines getting onboard with this, including American and United in the US, and a bunch of international airlines (including British Airways, Brussels Airlines, Iberia Airways, IAG Cargo, Singapore Airlines, Qatar, Qantas, Emirates, Etihad and Lufthansa).

Air Canada has said they won't carry African game trophies, but have no problem with "legally hunted" trophies from North America. How on earth they're going to distinguish between a legally and illegally shot bear is beyond me ... :wall:

I assume they will require some kind of documentation.

katmari

Stories about the portrait have been reported around the world and the artist Aaron Blaise has been inundated with requests for prints. Here's an update from his website:

So I am pleased to announce that I am now able to offer two versions of the image as museum quality poster prints. There is a version with and w/o the text.

Aaron Blaise website

I'd like to know what the music is too. It was so perfect and haunting. I was :wuzrobbed before the video was over.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Stories about the portrait have been reported around the world and the artist Aaron Blaise has been inundated with requests for prints. Here's an update from his website:

Aaron Blaise website

I'd like to know what the music is too. It was so perfect and haunting. I was :wuzrobbed before the video was over.
Nice to see that he's donating the profits!

Furthermore, I am pleased to announce that 100% of the profits from the sale of these images will be donated to WildCRU
– The organization that was studying and protecting Cecil and his pride.

Meoima

Lol at the articles about "At Zimbabwe we don't cry for lions". Dear people in Zimbabwe, you don't know what you are doing to your natural habitat, kill your animals until you have none, and join us in the group of delusional countries with "we were nautically gifted". Just kill and sell them all to the trophy hunters, until you have nothing left, no visitors no investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information