Status
Not open for further replies.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
Nagasu endures hard times with parents' support
Two-time Olympian recommitted herself to skating after 2014 heartbreak

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/02/01/265623186

A good long article by Phil...

She was the 16-year-old phenom who finished fourth in the 2010 Olympics but began to struggle competitively soon after. Some of her problems owed to her having to spend long hours on California's jammed freeways -- her family could not afford an apartment close to her coach's distant new training site -- and her dad, Kiyoto, needed her mother's help in the family's restaurant, Kiyosozu in Arcadia, California.

When she was younger and her family didn't have extra money for a babysitter, Nagasu would eat dinner and finish her homework at the restaurant, and then pass out on a cot in a closet. At 9:30 p.m., when Kiyosozu closed, her dad would pick up the sleepy little girl in his arms and take her home.

Spun Silver

Could she be any more endearing?

I'm so glad her father will finally get to watch her compete at the highest level!

I hope Mirai is finding her calm center and razor-sharp focus in these last days of training at home. Sending up many prayers for her!

Spun Silver

Last edited:

Frida80

I have a question for Mirai fans. Do you believe if he she skates cleanly with a clean triple axel in both programs she could pull off a shock and sneak out a medal? That would be incredible, and an even bigger surprise than her bronze in 2010 would have been had she gotten it.

Anything is possible. Iā€™m just happy that sheā€™s going. Sheā€™s worked so hard this quad for this very moment. Iā€™m so happy she achieved this dream.

toddlj

I have a question for Mirai fans. Do you believe if he she skates cleanly with a clean triple axel in both programs she could pull off a shock and sneak out a medal? That would be incredible, and an even bigger surprise than her bronze in 2010 would have been had she gotten it.
I think the OAR ladies have a near-lock on gold and silver. But I think the bronze medal is still up for grabs. Most notably, the Japanese ladies, the Canadian ladies, and Kostner will all be fighting for it. I would hope that a clean Mirai would be in the mix as well.

bardtoob

The medals are already allocated, so I just want Mirai to skate perfect for herself. Having perfect content will speak for itself in terms of being attention grabbing.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜

Not really.

International judges simply aren't giving her any PCS....

I completely agree with what @toddlj said a few spots up.

Also some people do have a notable comment in the slightly higher amount of crossovers than her competition. But my thing is the long preparation (telegraph) into those 3 axels. Does that hurt her do you think? I know you have to set it up but it is a long set up.

I would be over the moon if she did come back with an Oly medal. Just want to be realistic with my expectation with how judges respond to her.

I wish judges would be real with Zags PCS scores. Good technique on jumps, yes. But for choreo and interpretation she is still out there very much like a junior. Cant even debate that. Nothing to debate. Frantic, fly-swatting movement does not a ballerina make. No lines, no holding, no taking your time (for anything.)

Last edited:

joubertelegant

Banned Member
Not really.

International judges simply aren't giving her any PCS....

I completely agree with what @toddlj said a few spots up.

Also some people do have a notable comment in the slightly higher amount of crossovers than her competition. But my thing is the long preparation (telegraph) into those 3 axels. Does that hurt her do you think? I know you have to set it up but it is a long set up.

I would be over the moon if she did come back with an Oly medal. Just want to be realistic with my expectation with how judges respond to her.

I wish judges would be real with Zags PCS scores. Good technique on jumps, yes. But for choreo and interpretation she is still out there very much like a junior. Cant even debate that. Nothing to debate. Frantic, fly-swatting movement does not a ballerina make. No lines, no holding, no taking your time (for anything.)

It is a shame international judges dont give Mirai the PCS she deserves. She is not a ballerina with the most beautiful lines but is a wonderful artist in her own way with great feel for music and inventive choreography. Her excellent spins are a feature which greatly add to both her technical capacity and overall presentation.

baramin

I tried taking a look at base values based on Euros/4CC/Can&US Nats layouts, assuming all level 4s for everyone & clean jumps. Two 3axels give Mirai only about 3 TES points on Zagitova combined between the short & longā€”backloading is really effective. Medvedeva & the Japanese ladies are about 8 points back, Osmond about 9, Daleman 11, and Costner 16.

Based on that, beyond Med/Zag going 1/2, Miyahara actually has a solid chance at bronze if everyone goes clean, as does Osmond, though Carolina makes up a lot in GOE/PCS. If those 3 falter & Mirai goes all out like in 2010, thereā€™s a chance at bronze, but itā€™s pretty remote.

Spun Silver

It is a shame international judges dont give Mirai the PCS she deserves. She is not a ballerina with the most beautiful lines but is a wonderful artist in her own way with great feel for music and inventive choreography. Her excellent spins are a feature which greatly add to both her technical capacity and overall presentation.
That reminds me, in a recent NY Times article, written after Nationals, the writer called Mirai the most elegant of the US ladies. :) I don't think I would call her highly artistic, but she is refined. Sorry, I can't remember what the article was and the NYT's paywall is blocking me from finding it again.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Nothing to this article but what a queenly photo of Mirai!
http://communique.uccs.edu/?p=29716
What I like about that photo is that she looks so confident and determined. I know she must be so excited that she's going to the Olympics again and also of the fact that without a doubt she earned that spot. I think it's given Mirai the boost she needs, and we'll see that pride ... that sparkle and shine as she's representing the USA.

leigh466

So, in several dance threads people seem to be talking about a rumor or leak, that the ShibSibs are going to do both the SD and the FD because they have the season's highest scores in both. I've been a Shibs fan for many years, but have to admit that I have fallen in love with H/D since Boston Worlds and was secretly hoping for them to prevail this year. When they did, however, I was like, "Oh rats, that's what I wanted, but now I feel so very sad for the Shibs!" So, ambiguous feelings abound. If true, I'll feel sad for H/D to not get a chance for a team medal. But I have to say, overall, my primary emotion right away was, "Yippee, Hooray, this means Mirai will get to skate in the Team event!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information