Nam Nguyen Makes Coaching Change

Nomad

Celebrity cheese-monger
Would their shippers be called Chanflatters? We've already had Chanflation and Chanfellation, so . . .

On topic: I hope Nguyen's new coaches can at least avoid giving him programs about historical atrocities. You'd think that would be easy, but in figure skating that's not always the case.
Really? You don't want him to skate to selections from Wozzeck?

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
I remember how fascinated you seemed to be over the supposed Patrick Chan/Rachael Flatt relationship, too. It's disturbing.

I don't have any recollection of any rumors involving Patrick Chan and Rachael Flatt dating so this must have been a long, long time ago (not saying it didn't happen, I just don't remember it). Polina and Nam can do whatever they want I was just curious what their "status" was.

pinky166

Really? You don't want him to skate to selections from Wozzeck?

At all costs just avoid Ils Sont Tombes or anything pertaining to the atrocities in Armenia considering the prevalence of Medvedeva, Tutberidze, and Artunian in the sport right now, wouldn't want to potentially offend any of them :slinkaway

mrinalini

I don't have any recollection of any rumors involving Patrick Chan and Rachael Flatt dating so this must have been a long, long time ago (not saying it didn't happen, I just don't remember it). Polina and Nam can do whatever they want I was just curious what their "status" was.
Well, there wasn't any concrete evidence that Patrick and Rachael were together and yet you were obsessed by the possibility that they might be. And now you've jumped onto the idea that Nam and Polina might be a couple simply because they're going to prom together. I read that article on Nam and that thought never even crossed my mind. You seem to have a predilection for harping on Asian male/Caucasian female couplings in skating.

As I said: disturbing.

fan

Interesting that the quote from Orser refers to discussions with Nam's parents but doesn't mention Nam....Not to read too much into a press release which has probably been super-edited by all involved, but this does give the impression that Nam's parents might have been part of the reason for Orser not wanting to continue coaching Nam.
Confirmed

pinky166

Well, there wasn't any concrete evidence that Patrick and Rachael were together and yet you were obsessed by the possibility that they might be. And now you've jumped onto the idea that Nam and Polina might be a couple simply because they're going to prom together. I read that article on Nam and that thought never even crossed my mind. You seem to have a predilection for harping on Asian male/Caucasian female couplings in skating.

As I said: disturbing.

I apologize if anything I said came off as racist or disturbing. I'm just bored and was curious about the dynamic of Nam and Polina's friendship/relationship as it been frequently discussed as of late. Please do not read too much into it. It is not my intention to start new rumors or cause any drama.

Skittl1321

If they can do whatever they want, why would you care what their "status" is?

Nam was the one who made it a public thing. I can understand why a lot of fans wonder if they are dating or just friends.

I don't really care, and the promposal was pretty darn cute; but it entered them into the eye of "celebrity relationships".

Last edited:

screech

I think I read somewhere that at TCC Nam was saying he might miss prom because of his move, and that turned into Gracie and (I think) Gabby suggesting he ask Polina to go with him, and the next day Gracie had a sign made, and they were impressed that he actually did it (can't remember the source, though).

In any case, Nam's programs this year really did not suit him. While he still has no speed, he comes across as much more bubbly than the serious stuff he tried to show 'maturity' with this year. He should try to showcase his personality more - last year was a bit better.

But what he really needs most of all is someone to chase him around the ice for 20 minutes each day, just to get his speed up.

Sylvia

TBD
I think I read somewhere that at TCC Nam was saying he might miss prom because of his move, and that turned into Gracie and (I think) Gabby suggesting he ask Polina to go with him, and the next day Gracie had a sign made, and they were impressed that he actually did it (can't remember the source, though).
Source was the IN article linked in post #1: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/04/24/174203632/tcc-tidbits-nguyen-announces-coaching-change
Ah, but there are logistical problems, which is how the whole thing started.
"We were in the skaters lounge talking about prom and how I wasn't going to be able to go to my prom because I'm moving to San Jose," Nguyen recalled. "Then Gracie was talking about how Polina wouldn't be able to go to her prom because she's doing Stars on Ice. I think she completely forgot what I'd said, because she was like, 'You should ask Polina,' and then Gabby and Gracie started making signs.
"I kind of feel good about [getting a yes] -- but I don't know."

barbarafan

Confirmed by the poster who posted (obviously it's up to each of us to determine the reliability of the people who post insider-y news here). This speculation/hearsay info is not something that is likely to be confirmed in an article.

It was mostly postings here and there...in tsl interview with Tracy Wilson when questioned about Nam and his problems this year mentioned growth spurts ,training diff things...then Nam claimed to various people he did not do off ice training at all and then in the babbling review of tsl about worlds the blabbed not mentioning names about someone north of the border coming down and being a training mate of Polina...and garble garble about someone being with Polina......they never should have said anything as there was no announcement made yet so the proper media story was not out there yet but everyone figured on who they were talking about...the on 2016 TSL THREAD # 551- it was said that ...well read it....the someone jumped in and kind of denied it because Nam was in the ice show.....then right after that came the announcement

skatecat

Lurker Extraordinaire
Pinky, you don't need to explain or defend yourself. It's okay.

I apologize if anything I said came off as racist or disturbing. I'm just bored and was curious about the dynamic of Nam and Polina's friendship/relationship as it been frequently discussed as of late. Please do not read too much into it. It is not my intention to start new rumors or cause any drama.

barbarafan

Confirmed by the poster who posted (obviously it's up to each of us to determine the reliability of the people who post insider-y news here). This speculation/hearsay info is not something that is likely to be confirmed in an article.

also see -the trash can- Canadian Men 2015/2016 Season (threads merged) #231

shutterbug

Interesting that the quote from Orser refers to discussions with Nam's parents but doesn't mention Nam....Not to read too much into a press release which has probably been super-edited by all involved, but this does give the impression that Nam's parents might have been part of the reason for Orser not wanting to continue coaching Nam.
There's a note at the end of Nam's ISU bio that makes reference to his father working with him "off the ice". Possibly at odds with what Team Orser was recommending?

Cleo1782

I don't care whether Polina and Nam date. Brian did great things with him, but I think David has developed Polina very well from almost the beginning. She doesn't get a lot of love here of FSU and she may not be everyone's favorite, but David put a lot of time and effort into her. He probably has more time to do that with Nam as well. It maybe hard to be third behind the top two men vying for time. I say wait and see what he can do with him.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I'm not convinced this change will work long-term for both Nam/Polina.

Polina Edmunds is a star, and Polina Edmunds' man could be a distraction. Only Polina Edmunds can block the spotlight on Polina Edmunds. :glamor:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information