ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2017/18 Olympic season

jlai

Question everything
Since Rippon isn't exactly a likely Olympic medal prospect, in the long run whether he qualifies or not doesn't really matter to USFSA or anyone else, except Rippon.

jlai

Question everything
I'm generally not a fan of weakening the competition for the sole purpose of helping your skater win in the gp. You'll face your competition sooner or later; better face them now and figure out what you need to improve.

vesperholly

Since Rippon isn't exactly a likely Olympic medal prospect, in the long run whether he qualifies or not doesn't really matter to USFSA or anyone else, except Rippon.
Isn't qualifying to the GPF one of the criteria for "body of work"?

I don't think Han is much of a threat to Adam or the podium. He's had a rough time for a while and I'm happy to see him get the assignment.

jlai

Question everything
It is but it really doesn't affect anyone in the long run except Rippon like I said.

Fiero425

China is the only country that invited three U.S. dance teams to their GP event. (All of whom were a threat to China's national champions). I'd say the U.S. can afford to invite a second Chinese man who truly deserves to be on the GP.

I guess that's the reason Russia had 4 skaters in the ladies event at 2001 Goodwill Game in Australia! The host nation can invite whoever they want! That must have been it! :rolleyes: :duh: :oksana1: :irina1: :shizuka1: :sasha1: :sarah1:

clairecloutier

China is the only country that invited three U.S. dance teams to their GP event. (All of whom were a threat to China's national champions). I'd say the U.S. can afford to invite a second Chinese man who truly deserves to be on the GP.

They also invited another American pair (C/LD) to their GP when the first one (K/O) dropped out.

binbinwinwin

Polina needs silver or gold to make it in to GPF. Ashley needs gold or she's out, her score from Skate Canada is probably too low for her to tiebreak with either Polina or Wakaba if she gets silver.

chapis

I remember that a few seasons ago, people treated the GP´s and GPF as if those competitions were not important and without any prestige, even skaters skipping it even in olympic season, but now there are people tearing their clothes to qualify for the final. I'm glad that these competitions are gaining more recognition.

MAXSwagg

I remember that a few seasons ago, people treated the GP´s and GPF as if those competitions were not important and without any prestige, even skaters skipping it even in olympic season, but now there are people tearing their clothes to qualify for the final. I'm glad that these competitions are gaining more recognition.

Quite frankly, the men (specifically the fact that the three top men - Javier, Yuzuru, and Patrick - consistently were there and skated relatively good if not great performances) made the GPF more prestigious. In my opinion, at least. Men's event (or at least the free skate) at 2015 GPF was fantastic.

ALSO have to give major credit to Spanish fed and Barcelona for putting together an incredible event both times they hosted.

Ka3sha

Thanks for the info! To share my google-translate gleanings: she's rehabilitating her back injury. I wish her all the very best!
Yes, here Anna gives more detailed explanation
After Skate Canada they came back to Moscow and started working on choreo with Adoniev and on jumps with Kudriavtsev, everything went well but then she had a flue and didn't train for few days. When she came back on the ice, she started working too hard and her back was hurting again. She doesn't train on the ice right now :(

Serafima Sakhanovich got that spot at SA
http://fsrussia.ru/news/3385-anna-p...-turnire-ee-zamenit-serafima-sakhanovich.html
Plushenko's debut as a coach on GP series, happy for both of them :)

Erin

Banned Member
Also, given the pain that Pogo appeared to be in during her free skate at Skate Canada, I'm glad she is taking care of her body and not pushing herself through injury. I just wish this injury hadn't come during the Olympic season :( (though I know it is pretty much impossible for her to make the Russian team after that performance at Worlds last season)

barbarafan

Yes, here Anna gives more detailed explanation
After Skate Canada they came back to Moscow and started working on choreo with Adoniev and on jumps with Kudriavtsev, everything went well but then she had a flue and didn't train for few days. When she came back on the ice, she started working too hard and her back was hurting again. She doesn't train on the ice right now :(

Serafima Sakhanovich got that spot at SA
http://fsrussia.ru/news/3385-anna-p...-turnire-ee-zamenit-serafima-sakhanovich.html
Plushenko's debut as a coach on GP series, happy for both of them :)

She did great at Warsaw. Hope Plushi can make it to be at the boards with his schedule.

Clutz

Banned Member
Eh, I really do not think so. Ashley got the "Michelle Kwan GP Special" which kept her need to travel down. Does she really need to take a week to go to Japan some three weeks before Nationals? I would not think so. Na, she needs to stay home and post pictures of her and Adam on Instagram...and focus on training.

Ka3sha

According to Plushenko he and other coaches from his academy won't be able to go to LP with Serafima. He has shows in Europe and other coaches don't have an american visa :(
He's asked other Russian coaches to look after Serafima

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information