Maria SOTSKOVA - poetry on ice

DobrinFan

Figure skater Sotskova felt pre-Olympic excitement at open rentals in Sochi
Google translated: http://tass.ru/sport/4549265

SOCHI, September 10th. / Corr. Veronika Sovetova. Russian figure skater Maria Sotskova noted that at the first unofficial start of the season of Russian figure skaters, the open control of the national team in Sochi, there is already a pre-Olympic excitement before the Games in South Korean Pyeongchang in 2018. She told TASS about this after her performance with a short program at the rentals.

"The validity of the Olympic season is felt right now, in Sochi, but I try to stay calm," said the figure skater. "Whatever the season, you need to do your job qualitatively without distracting yourself from the statuses and ranks of competitions, otherwise you can just go crazy. you need to calmly go to the start - as in the past, as in the year before last. "

The figure skater noted that she had a chance to get into the Olympics six months later. "I understand that I have a chance to get to the Games, but like all other sportswomen, you just have to work hard and not allow yourself to make mistakes." Stability is a sign of skill, and I think that it's on the stability of riding that they will bet in selection for the Games, "she noted.

The athlete will perform a short program to the music of the waltz from the ballet "Swan Lake", an arbitrary one - under the piano piece by Claude Debussy. "A short program, it's a girl at a ball, an arbitrary one is air, it's nature, it's all classic, we did not take risks with experiments, we need to focus on the quality of programs this season." I allowed myself to experiment only in a demonstration performance - it's " Kalinka ", completely uncharacteristic to me, but the audience liked it very much."

Sotskova left in an arbitrary set of elements from last year's program, but the short essentially complicated. "In an arbitrary program we saved the elements of the past year, but the short was noticeably complicated - we shifted the whole hopping part to the second half of the rental." Here in Sochi, I realized that it was necessary to work three times more, because before the shows it seemed to me that the program was ready much better than it actually turned out, "- added skater.

The first start Sotskova will be the tournament "Finland Trophy", which will be held October 6-8 in Espoo.

Bellanca

Not too shabby for the lovely Maria @ Finlandia. Love the color of her dress... Of course, I'm partial to pastels and pink. :) Thanks for the link, @DobrinFan! :cheer2:

DobrinFan

Not too shabby for the lovely Maria @ Finlandia. Love the color of her dress... Of course, I'm partial to pastels and pink. :) Thanks for the link, @DobrinFan! :cheer2:

Well it's an old dress so it will change. But not a bad start. I was impressed she changed so much from test skates and still nailed it! The changes they made did wonders for the program :cheer2:

Hopes she :kickass: in the LP.

DobrinFan

Practice photos
https://vk.com/maria_sotskova?w=wall-66506743_2242
With Carolina
smiley-love017.gif

https://pp.userapi.com/c841624/v8416...9cYa8j98ck.jpg
https://pp.userapi.com/c841624/v8416...wieopnYywo.jpg

DobrinFan

Medal ceremony + mittens! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEEu6c-BpUU

Couple of pics from Sharov
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ_qRPXhPt-/?taken-by=mihail_sharov
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ_pxepBs1J/?taken-by=mihail_sharov

Interview (google translated)

Maria Sotskova: "After the control rentals, I changed my approach to many things"
The winner of the tournament "Finland Trophy" Maria Sotskova on the changes that occurred after the control rentals in Sochi, a new free program, music by Claude Debussy and created on the ice image.

- Masha, congratulations. The first victory of the season, what feelings?

- At first I was worried a little, because after the control rentals it was hard. After Sochi, I lost a bit of self-confidence, because the rentals were not very successful for me. When we returned to Moscow, we worked hard, changed the short program. Almost. Music, too. In fact, here I was rolling in a new program, because with coaches we came to the conclusion that we still need to put the cascade in the first half to be self-confident.

Upon arrival from Sochi, we began to work in a different direction. And I psychologically began to adjust myself in a different way. At the beginning of the season before the control rentals, I set up myself as that year. But I did not take into account the fact that over the summer I changed, grew up, and I should already have a completely different approach to myself, to business. Apparently, that's why I ripped off the control rolls - I failed there. But we remade the short program. I rethought my approach, psychologically adjusted myself. And the work went in a more correct direction.

- Did you understand it yourself or did someone prompt it?

- When something does not work out, it's because of something happens. Not just. I was well prepared before the hire. All the elements, the program is good in the training, everything was done. And in Sochi, the short one completely failed, I managed with an arbitrary one, but not well enough - I was better prepared. After the rental question arose: why? It's just that nothing happens. So, we need to change something. In the training process, there were no special problems. Everything was right. I trained well. Itself did not regret. She worked to the maximum. The team worked great, to them, too, no complaints. So it's in my head. I had to correct my approach. And I worked on myself. In training, it seemed more like I was at a competition. Because of this, everything went right.

"You said you grew up in the summer."

- Yes, she grew emotionally. I'm growing, I'm approaching 18 years. The body has changed. There are normal processes. We dealt a lot with the RPP with Leonid Moiseevich Raitsin. I will continue to work with him. This, of course, helped me. Over the summer, my muscles grew, body size became different. But, thanks to the fact that it's muscles, not fat, it helps. I feel more confident, stronger on the ice. All this work is in favor. I trust the trainers. And it helps me.

- In your group now trains Lena Radionova. Liza Tuktamysheva said that she is friends with Caroline Kostner, who skates with her on the same ice. And how do you and Lena get along?

- I came to Lena's arrival calmly, as to the due. This is normal when there is competition in the group, because many coaches are riding a lot of strong athletes. For example, Etere Tutberidze. In this there is nothing unusual. Moreover, the coach shares Lena and me. That is, Lena skates in the first half, I go out on the ice later, when she is already finishing training. We were divided so as not to push our foreheads. But we have a calm atmosphere. I think that Lena and I - we understand that competition is useful and good. But it takes a lot of energy, but we do not spend it. Each of us works according to our plan, for ourselves, because we are already grown-up girls, we understand who needs what, and we do not spend energy and energy on competition between ourselves. There is competition, but it is healthy.

- How to choose music for an arbitrary program? This is the "Moonlight" by Claude Debussy.

- It was not I who chose, but Pyotr Chernyshev with Elena Germanovna (Buyanova - comment ), Irina Anvarovna (Tagayeva - note ), our entire team. I did not take this music to the last, did not see myself in it, or rather I saw it, but it turned out that it was the same image that I had before, and I wanted something new. But in the end I was convinced that this season is not for experiments. It's better to do what I'm good at. And in the process of staging I fell in love with music so much, the program was so appealing, Peter so picked up all the moves, musical transitions under me, that I merged with this image. He complements me, and we are as one. Now I'm skating this program with pleasure. I'm grateful to the coaches that they insisted, they said: "Believe us." And I believed, because they are my coaches.

- What image do you convey in this program?

- The image of nature. Water, air, moonlight and even fire ... With the choreographer Irina Anvarovna, we come up with different pictures of nature - the waterfall, the jungle ... And I try to transfer the spectators to different places so that they feel and see this beauty together with me.

- Thank you, Masha.

--Tatiana FLADE, Espoo
Source: http://www.fsrussia.ru/intervyu/322...omenyala-svoj-podkhod-ko-mnogim-veshcham.html

DobrinFan

Skate Canada SP https://youtu.be/1b6wU7a9l3c

Here are some pictures I took from today https://flic.kr/s/aHsm6zM97e

Interview
Maria Sotskova: I do not need a psychologist
Source: https://mosregtoday.ru/sport/mariya-sotskova-psiholog-mne-ne-nuzhen/

Seventeen-year-old figure-skater Maria Sotskova from Reutov with today's performances in Canada will open a new Grand Prix drawing for herself. Before flying overseas, the young athlete told the correspondent "Podmoskovye today" Vladimir Serov about expectations at the start of the Olympic season and their programs.

- The beginning of the season is always very exciting, because people do not know what to expect. In this sense, you helped the recent victory at the tournament in Finnish Espoo?

- She seriously added confidence. Checkout rentals, which took place in early September in Sochi, turned out to be not very successful. This was the first start of the season, and to him I approached not quite ready - first of all psychologically. From this perspective, competitions in Espoo helped me find the ground under my feet. After returning from Finland, painstaking work does not stop: we correct deficiencies, strengthen programs. The main attention is paid to the implementation of technical elements.

- I know that after the failure in Sochi you changed the short program.

DobrinFan

Skate Canada LP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZnZ03iXcQw

Here's some more photos from yesterday's practice + medal ceremony
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm5aEvhN

Medal ceremony https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw0XYd07zpk

Maria Sotskova: "I was charged for one more hire"

Russian figure skater Maria Sotskova became the silver prize-winner of the Grand Prix stage "Skate Canada". After the performance, the sportswoman described how this start turned out for her.
- Today I felt rather calm, - Maria shared her impressions . - Usually I am very worried before the competitions. And then I was not that 100% sure, but I felt some kind of calm. I did not twitch, did not feel that something was wrong. I went to the ice calm, and it was easy for me to go. I rolled back an arbitrary program, got into the final pose and realized that I still have a lot of strength, that I can go again to the program. This rarely happens. Counted number of times. Usually I give out so much a program that after I get so tired my legs that I barely get out of the ice. And here I was charged for another rental.

- In a word, I rolled on good emotions.

- Yes, everything was calm. I came to the warm-up, calmly warmed up. Usually I experience, I jerk a little, but this time everything was different. I even relatively normally warmed up on a 6-minute warm-up, because I make mistakes, but they help me. And then everything was fine, and it became unfamiliar for me. Usually mistakes in the warm-up motivate me and stabilize, but everything went smoothly and well. "Skate Canada" for me was quiet.

- This start was easy for you?

- In fact, these were heavy competitions. I learned that the coach will not go with me and did not know how to behave, because I never acted without a coach. Even when I was in another group, the coach was always present at the competitions, and Elena Germanovna (Buyanova - note) then always was with me. Of course, I was worried about how I could adjust myself. Of course, with me was the choreographer Irina Anvarovna (Tagaeva - prim.), She tried to set me up. But all the same, only Elena Germanovna knows how to do it right. But I tried to imagine in my head that she was here, that she told me the same words that she usually says, and it helped.

- Were you with the coach in touch?

-- Of course. Only before the start I turn off the phone, I do not see what they write to me. Immediately before the start, we did not communicate, and after a short program phoned, we talked, and after an arbitrary I immediately wrote Elena Germanovna.

- The next stage of the Grand Prix you have in France. How will you prepare?

- There are many more things to work on. There is no limit to perfection. Yes, I cleanly skated, but there were blots on the accelerator. Therefore, after my arrival, I will work hard on the axel. I had a problem with him in training, so we'll fix it. And of course, to refine all other elements - rotations, tracks - the usual training process. I'll go home and work on the same thing as after the tournament in Finland, because after the competition you try to improve something, keep it in the same state, so that it does not go away. Will be working.

- A few words about the short program.

- I was happy, but the axel failed. And the only thing in the path of footsteps was a little squeezed. I can not understand why.The jumping elements ended, that is, according to the idea should have let go, but I was feeling a little dizzy, I felt a little strange in space, maybe that's why I kept myself. I needed to cleanly skate the program, and this was the most important at that time.

- With acclimatization there were difficulties?

"Not yet." I hope, I'll come home, and acclimatization will not catch up with me, although the flight was very difficult. We flew a day and a half on three different planes. It was not easy. I then got out of bed and my head was spinning. But we are athletes, and we have to cope with it, all of this is done. When you go out on the ice, spectators and judges are not very interested in how much you flew, how you feel. Just need to always please the audience and show the judges good results. Then no flights, injuries and illnesses will not interfere.

"Are you still in an old suit?"

- Yes, we did not have time. But he is coming to the program. I'm already waiting for a suit for a short program, I want to skate in a new one. I thought we could make it to Canada, but it did not work out. I sincerely hope that everything will turn out for France. But the most important thing, of course, is not a suit, but that I skate well.

- Thank you, Masha, and success!

Tatyana FLADE

Google translated, source: http://www.fsrussia.ru/intervyu/3307-mariya-sotskova-byla-zaryazhena-eshche-na-odin-prokat.html

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
She is gorgeous and a lovely skater. But that arm over her head is just weird looking. It looks like she is trying to scratch the ear over there.

DobrinFan

Yes, it's sad she has to try to alter her beautiful jumps to gain an extra feature in hopes for extra GOE.

Yeah. Too bad, I liked her jumps sans tano but I tend to look at her feet when she jumps and never notice what she is doing with her hands ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But her new landing position with the flip is super nice and the footwork before her layback spin is also very nice. Don't know if any of this has helped her GOE but I applaud her for at least trying. Now she really needs to work on her jumps that are in the 2nd half of her program. No sense in throwing away points with under-rotations.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
And one of her trainers posted on FSO that her bent tano arm position is the optimal position for her for now. It's just how she naturally holds her arm and that it will take time to straighten it.
http://fso.forum.cool/viewtopic.php?id=57&p=9
That sounds like the wrong edge in a jump is an optimal position for her now. It will take time............Um....how about learning to do it correctly, and then doing it....for both the edge and the arm. Just a thought.

DobrinFan

IdF Gala https://youtu.be/AqjrnjUC-fM

Interview (google translated):
https://rsport.ria.ru/interview/20171118/1128848735.html

The silver medalist of the fifth stage of the Grand Prix Maria Sotskova , who secured this result in the final of the championship series , commented to the special correspondent of "R-Sport" Elena Vaitsekhovskaya her speech, explaining why it is bad to skate at the end of the group, and how to make an arbitrary program even more difficult.
- In a short program, I was not at all nervous, and it was a shame that a stupid blot occurred. But the rental of an arbitrary program turned out to be much more nervous. It is still difficult for me to ride at the end of the strongest warm-up - it takes too long to wait for the performance, there is time to reflect, and in competitions it is always better when there is no time for reflection. Yes, and it was hard to ride - was tired at the end of the program.
- You said at a press conference that you did not manage to fall in love with this program at once.
- Rather, I just did not really understand the music and my image in this music. We talked a lot about this with the choreographer, worked on every gesture, and now I just fell in love with this production. I catch myself on that, rolling around, every time I find in it more and more new shades. I try, that the audience, looking at my skating, saw the same picture that I mentally draw myself.
- You were pressured by the thought that your participation in the Grand Prix final depends on the performance in Grenoble?
- Strangely enough, no. Although last year I just dreamed about it - I really wanted to go to the finals and go skating there. My second stage was held in Sapporo, and there I constantly reminded myself: "If only I could resist, just not make a mistake." She could not think of anything else at all.
"And what were you thinking about in Grenoble?"
- The fact that you need to skate to get pleasure from this rental. I wanted to please coaches, spectators. I wanted my parents to be happy for me.
- In the end, were everyone satisfied?
- So I do not happen - there is always something that could be done better.
"Even with such irreproachable hire as the one that turned out on Saturday?"
- I really did very well the elements. But in the path of steps a little podzagalas - took care of the strength to enough for the whole program. Emotions too were not enough.
- So talk about it, as if it's enough to turn a switch - and emotions will pour on the ice.
- Of course not. But I noticed: when I ride absolutely uninhibited, when I do not restrain responsibility, emotions break out by themselves. As soon as I start to control my actions, emotions immediately go away.
- What did you think about when you saw the ratings?
- Oh ... The final score has not been shown for so long ... When you sit in the kiss-end area, you can not worry. This is a very unpredictable moment - you never know what you will be shown on the scoreboard. Even when everything was done well, the place may not be what you expect. But this time everything turned out. However, as soon as the evaluations were made, Elena Germanovna (Buyanova), who was sitting next to her, began to react emotionally and joyfully to me, to embrace me, to congratulate me that I had ceased to understand what was happening-she had not had time to see anything. Only then I looked at my points and realized that I would definitely be in the top three.
- You are more than three points exceeded your personal record in an arbitrary program and overall standings. In terms of the complexity of the elements, is this the final version of the program, or is there still a reserve?
- The reserve exists, as well as the intention to implement it. Perhaps we will rearrange the cascade in the second half, but the idea is still under development.
- That is, there is only in theory, at the level of desire?
"Not really." I have already tried to roll the program with this arrangement of elements in the training. Just until everything turns out not so confidently to do the same in competitions. Now in the second half of the program I have a triple lutz separately, and frankly speaking, I'm pretty nervous about this jump. Do it in a cascade while scary. Although I understand that the problem is not that there may not be enough strength, but in insufficient head readiness. You just have to work on this more in training, and everything will happen.

DobrinFan

Another interview! Maria is putting her foot down dammit! A change in style/image is coming for next season :D

"The second place spurs me and makes me move on"

Figure skater Maria Sotskova became the silver medalist of the French Grand Prix stage. After renting a demonstration number, the sportswoman answered the questions of the correspondent Tatyana Flade.

- Masha, well done. Surely performed at this launch. Could you compare your rentals in Canada and France?

- Now I am more satisfied with my performance, although the error in the short program was more rude than in Canada. But I skated better here, the elements did more confidently. The only thing in this tournament was more enslaved, it was not possible to fully liberate in terms of emotions.

- At the press conference you said that this is not your greatest. What did she mean?

- My maximum, when I am completely satisfied with the performance. I know that I did everything I can, in the aggregate - in a short and arbitrary program. There was a good rental here, which can be modified. He is close to my idea of a good, we can say, ideal rental.

- In your opinion, what should be the ideal rental?

- The ideal rental, when I made all the elements, impeccably, on the pluses, and at the same time felt the freedom of movement that I was not worried, but confident. I go to every element, but do not forget to work for the public, the judges. And all my program, which we practiced in training, is done as planned. This is the perfect rental. To such I aspire. And I hope that at the main competitions I will show just such a skating.

- Did you already have the ideal rentals?

- The ideal rental was at the Grand Prix final in Marseille. It was the best rental of my free program, probably in my entire career. And performance in the finals of the junior Grand Prix in Japan, where I was pleased with the shows and results. Won then. In Fukuoka, all the stars were formed, and it turned out as we planned.

But so far, something is missing me for the first places. We are working on it. Still, I want to win already. It makes you angry when you can not win. But now, it seems to me, to me, on the contrary, it is a plus, because I get angry, I work even harder, I strive for the goal.

- Indeed, this season you often take second place - "Miss Silver".

- The second place spurs me and makes me move on. As they say, everything that is done is for the better, and we must look for positive moments in everything. And I'm looking for pros. The second place, as I said, motivates me, makes me relax, but move forward.

- Do you think about the final of the Grand Prix?

- The idea is material, and I believe that everything will turn out.

- How important is it for you to get into the finals this season?

- This will be another step to my main goal. Still, to be selected for the final is prestigious. This is the TOP-6 in the world. Every athlete strives to get there.

In that year, I really wanted to get into the finals. And at its second stage, the Grand Prix in Japan did not act for fun, as it often happens, but went out on the ice with the thought: just stand, just hold on, because she really wanted to go to the finals. Therefore, in Japan everything happened a little blurry, because even now I do not remember absolutely how the random program then rolled. Some moments of the competition float up, and the random just erased from memory. I was very worried then, because I really wanted to. Then all this affected the skating. And in Marseilles I arrived already calm, confident, we can say, relaxed. Because I no longer needed to be selected, but I had to go for a drive in pleasure and show my best skating. And now.

At these competitions in France there was no such thing that blood from the nose I want to get to the finals. I went here with the idea of how it will be, so it will be, because I understood: the competition is big, all the girls stably ride, take good places, gain points. Chances I had less than last season to be selected for the final. But I took this thought calmly, because after all this season the final is not the main task.

- This season you performed in Finland, then at the Grand Prix. How do you assess your progress in the season?

- Everything goes on as usual. I improve the hire. I try to correct the shortcomings. And in general from start to start I add. I feel it myself. From this confidence is added. To the most responsible start I want to come in the optimal form to show skating, which has never been shown.

- Immediately after Grenoble you plan to go to Shanghai.

- Yes, we come to Moscow and the next day we fly to Shanghai.

- Two tournaments in a row - is it difficult for you?

- There will be only an arbitrary program. This makes my task easier. Emotionally it will be more difficult, because here I have laid out, now I feel a little devastation, fatigue.

And now I've put my best on the show, because under Russian folk music you can not relax, ride peacefully, as, for example, in an arbitrary program. In the show room, you have to give out emotions. For me, this number is also a responsibility, because I represent Russia in it, I try to convey the Russian spirit, fervor, how we can dance, have fun. The music itself imposes a certain responsibility on me, and I should adequately rent and present this program.

"This number is very good for you." Perhaps in the future there will be a program in this style?

- We wanted to take Russian folk music, but since by that time a short program was put, then after it to skate to fast music in an arbitrary it would be hard. And this season is not for experiments. So we decided to leave it as it is. And next season, I talked about this many times, I want to change my style, image, music. Take something unusual for me.

- I hope you will succeed. Thank you, Masha, and good luck!

Tatyana FLADE

Google translated. Link http://www.fsrussia.ru/intervyu/338...stegivaet-i-zastavlyaet-dvigatsya-dalshe.html

DobrinFan

What is this event and why did Maria skate here? Not good to lose to Radyonova. :(

It's just some fluff competition that only involved a LP and prize money that's more than what the GP gives. Taking away positives, she almost scored 2.5 pts in PCS over Rad and Rad has more reputation with the judges so I think she will be fine come nationals. I thought since they gave Rad 65, Sots would get 64ish so they clearly like Maria better (not the tech caller :lynch:).

Here's the award ceremony https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=420&v=4Mi6GtspHSY
Poor thing looks so over it. I don't think I've seen her like this and I'm slightly entertained :watch: lol. Maybe this will motivate her to slay at her next 2 competitions!

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Really? I'm not seeing it. She was smiling politely. Probably not as big as she would have smiled if she'd won, but I wasn't picking up on any sort of furious vibe.

Bellanca

I'm always impressed by Maria's ice coverage which is evident even when performing in an exhibition! Maria covers the entire rink which is basic skating 101 that many abandon more often than not. Also, it appears that she enjoyed the exhibition. :) A good thing, for sure, especially in a stressful Olympic year. :respec:

Thank you, @DobrinFan.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information