Maria SOTSKOVA - poetry on ice

papa

Banned Member
I enjoyed her free skate in Russian Cup from yesterday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OnOMpvjGcw
Training is even better for analyzing her skills and grace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6UmqPYjg-I
Completely different than Sakhanovich, but very appealing, true poetry in movement. :)

Moreover, could someone more experienced explain to me the difference between Sotskova and Medvedeva? I understand that Sakhanovich is athletic, energetic skater, Proklova flirty and speedy, but Medvedeva's and Sotskova's styles look similar to me... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
I am sorry but what ballet? Her shoulders are raised, her toes are unpointed. Her port de bras is not that of ballet. She is a nice skater but not a balletic one.

Balletic impression comes from the entire body (see Elena Bereshnaya, for instance), not from elbows down. She looks somewhat better in practice, she uses her head there a bit but still no cigar.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
I agree that they are similar. Medvedeva looks more balletic to me than Sotskova, she pays a bit more attention to details such the position of her free leg at runout. Better posture and natural stretch to her limbs. Another nice skater--the Russian ladies skater factory does not close for the holidays, does it? :eek:

Having said that, these ladies show a lot more balletic consciousness than many others, US, Japanese up and comers do. Medvedeva and Hongo are from two different planets.

Last edited:

Dr.Siouxs

Sorry, but none of the new generation are truly outstanding skaters. Maria, like most of her compatriots, has some dreadful lines and sloppy style. She certainly has potential but unfortunately the current judging system carries little incentive for her to improve in these departments.

Skating is going the way of gymnastics. :yawn: :yawn:

papa

Banned Member
Sorry, but none of the new generation are truly outstanding skaters. Maria, like most of her compatriots, has some dreadful lines and sloppy style. She certainly has potential but unfortunately the current judging system carries little incentive for her to improve in these departments.

Could you please refer me to another 14yo with not so dreadful lines and sloppy style?

papa

Banned Member
A bit harsh, admittedly. But let's face it: "poetry in motion"? Perhaps you meant 10th grade poetry? :lol:

But I do wish her the best. In any event, I shall now leave and register my skating snobbery elsewhere... :slinkaway
I overused licentia poetica at creating new thread, I agree. :D
But you still haven't answered my question - if Sotskova is 10th grade poetry in motion to you - what 14 year old skater from the past was your "Shakespeare grade"?

I will examine her skating on youtube immediately and educate myself.

lala

I'm really in trouble..Who is my favorite? All Russian wonder baby is amazing. Can criticize them for some reasons, if anybody really wants. But they are incredible talented....
For me Proklova is the most balletic.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Could you please refer me to another 14yo with not so dreadful lines and sloppy style?

I don't know about 14, but at 15 Oksana Baiul had perfect positions and sophisticated lines. So did Sasha Cohen at 15 . I am still having difficulty finding that 14 year old, but my guess is that Oksana and Sasha didn't suddenly go from sloppy at 14 to graceful at 15.

ETA: Thank you Altai Rose. Gubanova has a mature style even before 14. I like Proklova also. Katia Gordeeva at 14 had lovely posture and lines.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Naomi Nari Nam is another 14-year old American skater who had wonderful lines and extension for her age. Someone more knowledgeable can assess whether she was truly "balletic," but she was certainly refined.

NNN was phenomenal in her lines, posture, and musical interpretation. Way beyond her years.

gotoschool

In this season's LP, I think Maria is elegant, soothing and smooth in her movements and presentation. Her performance reminds me of the old-timey musicals of Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers and Cyd Charisse, with variations on melodic themes and choreography that include upbeat and snappy jazz with quick multi-directional steps and lovely pirouettes that along with Satoko are the most seamless I have seen this season. Then, she concludes with a melancholy interlude as Moon River closes out her program in a feeling of wistful longing. She combines the wonderful qualities of balletic grace, musicality and agility.

I think she just needs to develop a little more speed, and a little more height and a little better posture on landing her jumps. But, I really enjoy Maria's skating a lot already. I think overall her posture and extensions are finely drawn out and quite picturesque. I am also really impressed with her full layback into a flexible Biellmann at the end of her programs.

Evgenia gives me a similar feeling of dreamy and nostalgic beauty when I watch her skate.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Thank COP for that.

A bit harsh, admittedly. But let's face it: "poetry in motion"? Perhaps you meant 10th grade poetry? :lol:

But I do wish her the best. In any event, I shall now leave and register my skating snobbery elsewhere... :slinkaway

Thank you.

shine

Love Maria. I think she has a true sense of style for someone so young and her dance training is very evident in her skating.

DobrinFan

Last edited:

DobrinFan

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Sotskova is a graceful skater and has the body type that would be considered "typical" or "ideal" for a ballet dancer (tall, slender, lean muscles, long limbs), but that doesn't necessarily make her SKATING balletic. I think there is potential for her to grow in that area, but she is still a little sloppy for now. Very talented though!

Cachoo

I'm really in trouble..Who is my favorite? All Russian wonder baby is amazing. Can criticize them for some reasons, if anybody really wants. But they are incredible talented....
For me Proklova is the most balletic.

In terms of seeing someone for the first time this is wonderful. I think we see so many skaters and see little or no artistry. But not with her. I like her and I love her pretty jumps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information