Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

Fiero425

Nadal confirmed that he will be back at the tournament next year.

Amazing! Like Roger Federer, he just won't let it go! He can't leave the stage @ 37 years old! He see Novak Djokovic still killing it at 36 & figures he needs to at least try to compete! We'll see how he fares after being off the tour since USO loss to Tiafoe! He says he has this injury he's been living w/ for decades, but keeps coming back! Another one of those players destined to roll in a wheelchair one day! :confused: :wall: :rolleyes: :eek:

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I thought I would share this here.

Evert announced in January that she was “cancer-free” one year after sharing her stage 1 ovarian cancer diagnosis.

Chris Evert announced that her cancer has returned.

Evert shared the news in a statement with ESPN on Friday, Dec. 8.

“Since I was first diagnosed with cancer two years ago, I’ve been very open about my experience. I wanted to give all of you an update. My cancer is back,” Evert wrote in a statement shared by ESPN. “While this is a diagnosis I never wanted to hear, I once again feel fortunate that it was caught early.”

In her message, Evert explained that she underwent a robotic surgery after receiving a PET CT scan. Doctors discovered cancer cells in her pelvic region, which were then removed, before she started chemotherapy again.

Genetic testing revealed that Evert Dubin had a BRCA1 variant. While Evert said initially that her sister's variant was of “uncertain significance,” it was later reclassified as “very clearly pathogenic.”

“It is only because of the genetic road map my sister left behind and the power of scientific progress that we caught my cancer early enough to do something about it,” she wrote at the time. “My doctor said if left undiscovered, in four months' time I would probably have been Stage 3 like Jeanne, with very few options.”

She added, “Instead, I was diagnosed with Stage 1 ovarian cancer, and I immediately began six rounds of chemotherapy.”

Since genetic testing is available now, I would suggest for any woman to get tested especially if there is a history of cancer in one's family. I've taken the genetic test, and it revealed I have no cancerous gene cells.

In 1977, my mom at the age of 42 was diagnosed with Stage 4 Ovarian Cancer. Her doctor performed a complete Hysterectomy on her. She was given a small round pink pill for her chemotherapy and had a follow up exploratory surgery a year later.

By the grace of God, my mom went into remission. She was cancer free for 8 years until the cancer came back in July of 1985. My mom lived two more years and passed away in April of 1987. The chemo she took was an experimental chemo that mom volunteered for and was administered by MD Anderson.

She also made history when she volunteered to have a portacath or port implanted underneath her skin in her upper chest where she could take the chemo once a month. I remember doctors coming from all over the U.S. to watch the procedure being done by a doctor from MD Anderson. The implant was successful and it made it much easier for my mom to take the chemo. That portacath is now used by thousands of cancer patients throughout the country and even around the world.

The research and treatments are more advanced for Ovarian Cancer now thanks to people like my mom volunteering to take these experimental treatments.

Last edited:

Fiero425

Is anyone else having trouble tracking the ball on the light blue courts down under at the Australian Open?

I think the main problem is the speed of the game! Both men and women are going extreme, swinging as hard as possible trying to take the cover off the ball! Sliced shots (FH, BH, drops) and lobs are infrequent even in the most defensive of positions! The competition is tough "down under" w/ top players surviving upsets, but taken to the limit going 4 or 5 sets! Even Djokovic had to work to get past a qualifier; Jr. FO Champ. D Prižmić! :wall: :cool: :rolleyes: :confused:

Last edited:

Seerek

After Round 2, only 12 of the 32 Women's singles seeds remain at the Australian Open (but that does include 3 of the top 4 - Swiatek, Sabalenka and Gauff).

Compare that to the men - 15 of the top 16 singles seeds have reached Round 3.

caseyedwards

After Round 2, only 12 of the 32 Women's singles seeds remain at the Australian Open (but that does include 3 of the top 4 - Swiatek, Sabalenka and Gauff).

Compare that to the men - 15 of the top 16 singles seeds have reached Round 3.
i couldn’t believe it swiatek was so close to losing

Fiero425

i couldn’t believe it swiatek was so close to losing

Women's comp. is tougher than in the past! Way back when, many times all the top seeds got to their designated rounds! The only real upsets occurring in the QF on! It just didn't happen much! Now, anyone can lose on day one of a major; esp. on the Men's side! It is so surprising to see things reversed w/ the ladies being in jeapardy over the efforts of the men! :scream:

Fiero425

It took a few years, but someone finally defeated Novak Djokovic in the SF of the Australian Open Friday! Jannik Sinner played very well & didn't allow a break point against his serve! OTOH Nole commited many UFE's & served a double fault in a pivotal game in the 4th set he was leading 40-Love to get broken! Sinner will have to wait to see who he plays Sunday; Zverev vs Medvedev to compete to make the final! :wall: :confused::rolleyes::eek:

Desperado

Medvedev! :cheer: :cheer2: Coming back from 2 sets down to beat his opponent. Love this guy, even more since Netflix painted him as the evil competitor to Z.

I worry that he's has less recovery time than his opponents, but I won't count him out. So happy to watch a fun final (although I might sleep through most of it since it's at 3:30am EST).

TheresMaude

I was exaggerating for a mild (and obviously failed) attempt at humor by calling him a Nazi, but Djokovic has been very chummy with genocidal right wing Serbs and is a supporter of scary Serbian Nationalism. FYI, the second article below has some very interesting and thoughtful comments from a Princeton professor about growing up steeped in the Nationalist tropes of Serbia.

Djokovic socializing with Srebrenica commander

The dark sides of Novak D

And Djokovic Père is an out and proud Putin supporter.

caseyedwards

I was exaggerating for a mild (and obviously failed) attempt at humor by calling him a Nazi, but Djokovic has been very chummy with genocidal right wing Serbs and is a supporter of scary Serbian Nationalism. FYI, the second article below has some very interesting and thoughtful comments from a Princeton professor about growing up steeped in the Nationalist tropes of Serbia.

Djokovic socializing with Srebrenica commander

The dark sides of Novak D

And Djokovic Père is an out and proud Putin supporter.
This is a horrific thing to say about someone who was almost killed by nato bombs which targeted civilian areas. NATO was the Nazi

caseyedwards

Yay!!! Only because it doesn’t seem like my main view of fail a test and be banned for life is ever happening

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information