Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
So sad she didn't win the title so she could present it to her glorious leader of Belarus. 😂 So why was she allowed to compete anyways aren't Russians and competitors from Belarus banned from competing like they are in other sports?
I think the fact that she competed in the final of the US Open answers your question for you. :shuffle:

Aaron MB Fan

Congrats to Gaby Dabrowski 🇨🇦 and Erin Routliffe 🇳🇿 on winning the Women’s Doubles title at the US Open!!

Gaby makes history for Canada finally becoming the first Canadian Women to ever win a Women’s Doubles Grand Slam title. It’s her third Grand Slam title with the first two coming in Mixed Doubles.

caseyedwards

For those who don't know, Novak Djokovic won his 4th US Open & 24th overall Major today over Daniil Medvedev in straight sets! :cool:
Very impressive! He faced someone who beat him on the exact same Court just 2 years ago so I don’t agree it was lesser match as some are saying. People did want to see Alcaraz play him again but that wasn’t to be. That happens!

It has been 5 years since he won a U.S. open which is a big gap for him. Part of that was crazy stuff. Being defaulted for errant ball. Then Novaxx. Big comeback

Also Interesting was John McEnroe talking about himself after his years of domination he said he just lost motivation. And that he admires Djokovic (and nadal and Federer ) for always finding new motivation.

In the press conference djokovic talked about having more motivation to continue.

Sylvia

TBD
Christopher Clarey has a substack now and he has written an "in-depth column on a big night at the #USOpen for #tennis and for the Gauff family":

chantilly

I could care less about a player smashing their racket in the locker room after a huge loss.
On court it’s different.
But I totally understand it.
I certainly don’t think Sabalenka should be vilified or attacked for it.
It’s very human. These athletes are under an enormous amount of pressure.

Desperado

Simona Halep has been suspended 4 years for doping violations.

Things aren't looking good for Halep. Tennis has accepted farfetched stories in the past so to give her that sentence, they must be quite sure there is as they call it "likely doping".

Sylvia

TBD
Halep, 31, has been provisionally suspended since October 2022 after testing positive for banned blood-booster Roxadustat at the US Open last year.
"I am continuing to train and do everything in my power to clear my name of these false allegations and return to the court," Halep said in a statement. "I intend to appeal this decision to The Court of Arbitration for Sport and pursue all legal remedies against the supplement company in question."
Her suspension runs until Oct. 6, 2026.
The drug Roxadustat is approved for medical use in the European Union to treat the symptoms of anemia caused by chronic kidney failure. According to the EU's medicines agency, it stimulates the body to produce more of the natural hormone erythropoietin, or EPO, which has long been a doping product favored by cyclists and distance runners.
Halep was accused of a second doping offense in May for irregularities in her athlete biological passport. The charge was "separate and in addition to" the provisional suspension from 2022.
The ITIA said in May that the charge "was based on an assessment" of Halep's biological passport profile by an expert panel. Such passports provide a baseline reading of substances in an athlete's body and are considered a way to help chart doping.

eusebius

I could care less about a player smashing their racket in the locker room after a huge loss.
On court it’s different.
But I totally understand it.
I certainly don’t think Sabalenka should be vilified or attacked for it.
It’s very human. These athletes are under an enormous amount of pressure.
sorry, posted in error

skatingguy

decently
Full decision in the Halep case.

The independent tribunal that banned Simona Halep for four years for doping had “strong grounds for suspicion” that the Romanian was also blood doping at last year’s Wimbledon, its newly published 125-page decision reveals. However, it could not be “comfortably satisfied” that was the case as the 31-year-old did not have any blood tests between April and September 2022.
However the full decision, released on Thursday, reveals that the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) pushed for a more severe punishment and believed that she had blood-doped from at least March 2022 in preparation for Wimbledon and the US Open that year.
“By contrast with their opinion relating to August 2022 and the US Open, there is no unequivocal assertion by the expert panel that the blood doping by the player was ‘highly likely’. The same applies to the allegation of blood doping in connection with the Wimbledon championships in June/July 2022 … There is a period from 27 April to 22 September for which the player’s blood values are unknown.”
As part of the case, a woman of a similar height and stature was given the same amount of Keto MCT as Halep before her positive test. However the control study found that the values of the banned drug in Halep’s urine test were between “46 and 85 times higher” than in the highest value of the volunteer’s urine.

One expert told the tribunal that Halep would have needed to take between 900 and 5,000 times the recommended serving size of Keto MCT to produce the estimated concentrations of roxadustat in her sample, based on the player’s explanation and what was known about the metabolism of the drug. “He did not consider that plausible, or in line with what the player says she ingested,” the report states.

raruki

Wenjing Sui is with Roger Federer in Shanghai.
Osq8dA.jpg

Last edited:

raruki

Xiangyi An and Qinwen Zheng, Zhengzhou and Palermo open’s champion and TOP15 in WTA

Last edited:

Desperado

Thanks to the fabulous play by newcomer Marina Stakusic and Leylah Fernandez, with assists from Gabriela Dabrowski and yes, Genie Bouchard in doubles, Canada 🇨🇦 wins the Billie Jean King Cup 🏆 beating Italy 🇮🇹

(Rebecca Marino also on the team.)

Never thought I would see such good Canadian women’s tennis in my lifetime. :cheer: 👏🏻

Note: Prize $ is equal to the men’s Davis Cup, thanks of course to Billie Jean King herself.

Aaron MB Fan

Congrats to Canada on doing what I never thought I would see in my lifetime, winning the Fed Cup title!!!!

With Davis Cup finals still to be played later this month, this means Canada right now is the active holder of both the Men’s Davis Cup title and the Women’s Fed Cup title!!!

Absolutely huge for our country when you consider our relative history in the sport and population size compared to so many other countries. ❤️ 🎾 🇨🇦

raruki

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information