Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

Lorac

Honestly I think Tsonga just ran out of steam but it was a great match - lots of great rallies. Congrats Andy on reaching another semi here at Wimbledon.

Rottie

What an incredible day of tennis! Roger, OMG, I can't believe he pulled that out.

topaz

There will be some movement in the WTA rankings.

I expect Gabine Mugaruza will drop from #2 to #5 or #6. I expect Kerber to move up to the #2 and Radwanska dropping to #4 and Halep moving into the #3 spot.

Kvitova and Vinci should drop out of the top 10. Venus should move up to #6 or 7 and Madison Keys should move up a spot.

Hindernisse

If Serena does not make it to the final and Kerber wins the tournament, Angelique will overtake Serena as #1. Very unlikely to happen though.

Lorac

Yikes - Serena is in the zone. Elena Vesnina needs to win a service game to settle herself otherwise this could be over and done very quickly.

ETA: Serena is blowing Elena off the court - it is on the verge of being embarrassing for Elena Vesnina. This is a bad semi-final match up. I really wish Cibulkova had more left in her tank as I suspect she would have made more of a match of it.

Last edited:

OnyxRose81

That was bad. That was really really bad. I wish I could show up at my job for 48 minutes and collect $500K. All kidding aside, Serena was phenomenal.

Hindernisse

I felt very sorry for Elena...

Venus and Angelique have played 6 games so far, breaking each other in the first five. Kerber managed to hold first.

Lorac

Even though I would love to see Venus in another final I really think Angelique has the better chance to beat Serena.

tristanwirtz

Banned Member
Even though I would love to see Venus in another final I really think Angelique has the better chance to beat Serena.

On a hard court or of course clay court I would agree. I think on grass Venus has a better chance to beat Serena than Kerber would, atleast if you eliminate the sister factor. Kerber's 2nd serve will likely be pummeled by Serena on the grass.

antmanb

I was all excited to be off work this afternoon and watch the tennis but that Kerber v Williams match was pretty boring :shuffle:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I want a Venus-Serena Wimbledon final. I will even get up early Saturday morning to watch it.

ETA: Just saw that Venus lost, so it will be Kerber vs Serena in the finals. I am rooting for Serena to catch Steffi Graf, so Go Serena!

sk9tingfan

I want a Venus-Serena Wimbledon final. I will even get up early Saturday morning to watch it.

ETA: Just saw that Venus lost, so it will be Kerber vs Serena in the finals. I am rooting for Serena to catch Steffi Graf, so Go Serena!
Sorry to disappoint you, but Kerber took down Venus in straight sets. Now I just hope that Serena can keep it together for her 22nd

aftershocks

Banned Member
Did Serena and Venus prevail in women's doubles quarterfinal against Vesnina and Makarova? Or did Vesnina get some revenge/retribution? I didn't get to see all of the doubles quarterfinal.

Venus' serve was off against Kerber during singles and hadn't improved in early going in the women's doubles match. The hours of on-court competition and coming back in matches had clearly taken a toll on her.

I love Venus, and I feel so much respect for her fight and courage toiling back to top six in the world and to the semifinals at Wimbledon, her greatest stomping grounds! #WingedVictories

Hindernisse

Did Serena and Venus prevail in women's doubles quarterfinal against Vesnina and Makarova? Or did Vesnina get some revenge/retribution? I didn't get to see all of the doubles quarterfinal.

I watched only the third set which Vesnina and Makarova lost 2:6. I would say it was a combination of Serena's monstrous serve which was impossible to return, some flaws in the tactics and unforced errors from the side of the Russians. They had chances on Venus' serve, but did not use them properly.

Serena and Venus obviously did not prevail throughout the whole match (they won the first set on a tie break and Makarova/Vesnina took the second set), but they certainly did in the final set.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Thanks for the informative update! Happy for Williams sisters winning, as they try to re-sharpen/ shape up their doubles skills for Rio Olympics. :)

Why is tennis no longer on regular television? Blame this age of new technologies (Internet; Multiple electronic/ digital devices; social media; too many distracting choices but not enough equitable consumer options). Plus, short attention spans; cable industry/corporate greed, lack of big time U.S. male tennis stars a la Sampras & Agassi; no ongoing Evert-Navratilova rivalry re U.S. women; lack of widespread popular love in the U.S. for the sport's most dominant female player: American champ, Serena Williams, etc. etc.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I feel like all but the most mainstream sports are not on regular TV anymore. We don't have cable and it is a pain when the local Big 10 college is in a big game, because it is only on cable. Even Monday Night Football is only on cable.

Sports is actually a huge part of why many cable subscribers have their subscriptions. I've heard talk of a main sports channels only package, but I don't think it's ever going to happen.

Loves_Shizuka

With all due respect to Milos, I am rooting for Federer here. I just can't watch more than about five minutes of Raonic without my mind wandering. Not the most inspiring tennis.

Still, he's playing well. Fed did well to nab the 2nd set.

Hindernisse

Roger gives aways the 4th and calls a trainer. It's the first time I see him get treatment during the match.

OnyxRose81

Raonic will totally crap out in the final but Fed shouldn't have been in that position to begin with. Stupid Cilic.

kwanoverrated

Banned Member
Raonic will totally crap out in the final but Fed shouldn't have been in that position to begin with. Stupid Cilic.

Regardless how Raonic will play in the final, I think it is pretty unlikely Cilic would have won over Raonic in the semis anyway. Cilic finishing off Federer would not have changed much.

Lorac

Roger was serving so well in that 4th set until the very end. Milos was hanging on in that set. I was fully expecting it to go to the tie break and Roger winning it. So sad for him :(

I do wonder if that could have been Rogers last Wimbledon. He can't have many years left now.

At least I can cheer for Murray 100% now. I would have been hard pushed to cheer against Fed if he had made the final.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information