Let's Talk Movies #36 - 2020 - Yep it is a new decade

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I think the biggest travesty of adapting his plays from stage to screen was with Cat on the Hot Tin Roof. The film version had Elizabeth Taylor in what may be her "best" role or at least the one with one of her most beautiful and iconic looks. And most of the actors are first-rate (well, I thought the actress playing the competing sister-in-law played her way too on-the-nose but I wonder if that was the film director's choice and not the actress' choice). However, the studio censoring a very integral and sort of the only reason why this play exists totally ruined the whole thing. Furthermore, they added all these kind of cheesy scenes to make the overall material softer and to support
the "happy" ending between Brick and Maggie.

That one was so bad that Tennessee Williams himself protested the movie and even stood outside theaters that were playing it to tell them not to watch it.
I watched Cat on a Hot Tin Roof recently on TV and I fully agree. Re: the spoiler
I could see what was going to happen a mile away because of when the movie was made and I was still annoyed.
The acting is generally excellent, I agree about the sister-in-law,
but that ending just kills it.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I watched Cat on a Hot Tin Roof recently on TV and I fully agree. Re: the spoiler
I could see what was going to happen a mile away because of when the movie was made and I was still annoyed.
The acting is generally excellent, I agree about the sister-in-law,
but that ending just kills it.
Here is a 1976 British TV version with Natalie Wood, Robert Wagner, Laurence Olivier and Maureen Stapleton which appears to have followed the play script far more faithfully.

Softening and all, I still love seeing Paul Newman as Brick and Elizabeth Taylor as Maggie the Cat (and Burl Ives, Dame Judith Anderson, Jack Carson and Madeleine Sherwood).

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Here is a 1976 British TV version with Natalie Wood, Robert Wagner, Laurence Olivier and Maureen Stapleton which appears to have followed the play script far more faithfully.

Softening and all, I still love seeing Paul Newman as Brick and Elizabeth Taylor as Maggie the Cat (and Burl Ives, Dame Judith Anderson, Jack Carson and Madeleine Sherwood).
Cool! I'll give it a look, thanks.

PeterG

Which is your favourite musical movie from the 1970's? Is it one of these?

1970 - On A Clear Day You Can See Forever
1971 - Fiddler On The Roof
1971 - Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
1971 - Bedknobs and Broomsticks
1972 - Cabaret
1973 - Godspell
1973 - Jesus Christ Superstar
1973 - Tom Sawyer
1974 - That's Entertainment
1974 - Blazing Saddles
1975 - Funny Lady
1975 - The Who's Tommy
1975 - Rocky Horror Picture Show
1976 - A Star Is Born
1977 - Saturday Night Fever
1977 - New York, New York
1977 - The Turning Point
1977 - Pete's Dragon
1978 - Grease
1978 - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
1978 - The Wiz
1978 - Sextette
1978 - Movie Movie
1979 - The Muppet Movie
1979 - All That Jazz
1979 - Hair
1979 - Thank God It's Friday
1979 - Rock 'n' Roll High School

These are the movies highlighted in a great documentary I watched recently. "Hollywood Singing and Dancing: The 1970s, Diversity Rocks the Movies" is one in a series of documentaries about the musical genre in the history of film. It was a great overview of the decade, with many great interviews included. This documentary might have originally been a TV series, because on the DVD the almost two-hour long movie is split into two parts.

While I was glad to have seen this, two things surprised me. The second episode gives quite a lot of time to two movies: New York, New York and All That Jazz. Surprising because the former bombed at the box office. All That Jazz made back it's money, but it wasn't a smash in the way a lot of the movies from the 70's were.

The second thing that surprised me was how little time Barbra Streisand's movies were mentioned. She's the only person who has three movies featured in this documentary and two were big hit movies. Hopefully in the 60's and 80's part of this series she gets a bit more acknowledgement.

Last edited:

PeterG

Too many of those movies are not musicals!

I re-phrased my question.

The documentary is called Hollywood Singing and Dancing.

The documentary talks about why they included movies such as Tom Sawyer, Willy Wonka, The Turning Point and even Saturday Night Fever in this movie.

P.S. Sometimes (often) you really suck the life out of this thread.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

1972 - Cabaret
1973 - Godspell
1973 - Tom Sawyer
1974 - Blazing Saddles
1975 - Funny Lady
1975 - The Who's Tommy
1976 - A Star Is Born
1977 - The Turning Point
1977 - Pete's Dragon
1978 - Grease
1978 - The Wiz
1978 - Sextette
1978 - Movie Movie
1979 - The Muppet Movie
1979 - All That Jazz
1979 - Hair

These are the movies highlighted in a great documentary I watched recently. "Hollywood Singing and Dancing: The 1970s, Diversity Rocks the Movies" is one in a series of documentaries about the musical genre in the history of film. It was a great overview of the decade, with many great interviews included. This documentary might have originally been a TV series, because on the DVD the almost two-hour long movie is split into two parts.

While I was glad to have seen this, two things surprised me. The second episode gives quite a lot of time to two movies: New York, New York and All That Jazz. Surprising because the former bombed at the box office. All That Jazz made back it's money, but it wasn't a smash in the way a lot of the movies from the 70's were.

The second thing that surprised me was how little time Barbra Streisand's movies were mentioned. She's the only person who has three movies featured in this documentary and two were big hit movies. Hopefully in the 60's and 80's part of this series she gets a bit more acknowledgement.

A star is born

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Watched a 1996 movie The Sunchaser, starring Woody Harrelson, who plays a doctor that's kidnapped by a terminally ill teenage patient (Jon Beda). Anne Bancroft in a guest role.

Wonderful movie. Touching Story. Beautiful scenery from northern Arizona, including Monument valley and a Navajo reservation.

I had never heard of this movie. Found it on Netflix by chance. It sounded interesting, so I rented it. I am so glad that I did.

Allskate

Heh. Ryan Gosling has a great sense of humor. For Great Gerwig's birthday, he sent a flash mob to dance to "I'm Just Ken."

I suspect Greta had a great birthday. Barbie now has brought in over one billion dollars worldwide:

Cachoo

1972 - Cabaret
1973 - Godspell
1973 - Tom Sawyer
1974 - Blazing Saddles
1975 - Funny Lady
1975 - The Who's Tommy
1976 - A Star Is Born
1977 - The Turning Point
1977 - Pete's Dragon
1978 - Grease
1978 - The Wiz
1978 - Sextette
1978 - Movie Movie
1979 - The Muppet Movie
1979 - All That Jazz
1979 - Hair

I loved the soundtracks to Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar but wasn’t crazy for the films. I’ve seen most on this list. My favorites are All That Jazz, Saturday Night Fever, Grease and The Turning Point. I’d say All That Jazz is far ahead of the others.

annie720

Saw the complete 2 1/2 version of the 1928 silent sci-fi film Metropolis yesterday, complete with live organ accompaniment. There's so much to unpack with that film. It's a crazy and crazy good sci-fi film about a futuristic urban dystopia. The Q&A with the organist afterwards was enlightening to me as I knew nothing about theatre organ playing.

Mozart

I've got 99 problems but a colon ain't 1
I should expand on the Talk to me ban. The actor is trans man non binary but nothing about their sexuality or anything is mentioned at all. A lot of the audience didn't even know they are trans.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Saw the complete 2 1/2 version of the 1928 silent sci-fi film Metropolis yesterday, complete with live organ accompaniment. There's so much to unpack with that film. It's a crazy and crazy good sci-fi film about a futuristic urban dystopia. The Q&A with the organist afterwards was enlightening to me as I knew nothing about theatre organ playing.
What's kind of crazy to me is that theater organ playing was a thing. It must be a very hard job! And kind of expensive for the studios (I'm assuming they paid for it).

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I should expand on the Talk to me ban. The actor is trans man non binary but nothing about their sexuality or anything is mentioned at all. A lot of the audience didn't even know they are trans.
This is the same with the Barbie movie. Apparently, one of the Barbies is played by a trans actor. I knew this going in (because of f*ckfaces like Ben "Fragile Masculinity" Shapiro screaming about it), but after the movie was over, I turned to my husband and said, "Wait, wasn't one of the Barbies supposed to be trans?" No, the actor is trans. The Barbie isn't. Or at least not that I could tell.

What is wrong with people that they can't deal with even the existence of trans people? Or the existence of any people doing things they don't agree with when it comes to that.

Parsley Sage

Saw Oppenheimer in Imax this afternoon. Great film. Theatre was full.

Signs at the entrance to the theatre said they were having supply issues with Coke products and candy. At the concessions they had Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite and Nestea and no candy at all.

Cachoo

To honor the passing of William Friedkin I thought I might watch “The Exorcist” tonight. But after all of these years I still think it packs a scary punch. I am having second thoughts.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
To honor the passing of William Friedkin I thought I might watch “The Exorcist” tonight. But after all of these years I still think it packs a scary punch. I am having second thoughts.
It made me laugh. :lol: You know what kept me up at night and still freaks me out today if I think about it? The Omen. I had to sleep with the lights on for a few nights after seeing that one!

Cachoo

It made me laugh. :lol: You know what kept me up at night and still freaks me out today if I think about it? The Omen. I had to sleep with the lights on for a few nights after seeing that one!
I remember it but not well. I do recall thinking of never naming a boy Damien. I don’t know why but Exorcist and “The Shining” scared me more than any other horror films. Maybe it was seeing them when I was a teen.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I remember it but not well. I do recall thinking of never naming a boy Damien. I don’t know why but Exorcist and “The Shining” scared me more than any other horror films. Maybe it was seeing them when I was a teen.
The scariest movie I ever saw was Trilogy of Terror starring Karen Black. I freaked out for years about little voodoo men under my bed.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I saw The Shining with my sister and she spent the whole movie bitching about everything they changed from the book. :lol: So I went home and read the book and I'm glad I didn't read it before because I would have hated the movie too. (I try to never read the book before a movie based on it if I can help it.)

I saw The Exorcist years after it appeared in theaters and I just found it boring. I suspect I had heightened expectations because it is a very popular and revered movie. The weird thing is, both The Exorcist and The Omen were very Catholic Church. They said a lot of things in those movies that fit right in with what the nuns and priests told us. But only The Omen scared the crap out of me. I don't intellectually believe any of it including possession and the anti-Christ. But The Omen sucked me right in.

Cachoo

The scariest movie I ever saw was Trilogy of Terror starring Karen Black. I freaked out for years about little voodoo men under my bed.
I was thinking about more modern horror and a few films came to mind. I loved the look of “The Ring.” I wish I would not have known “The Blair Witch Project” was not a documentary. I understand some people who went to the first screenings thought it was a documentary and were freaked out. Why do I want to be that frightened? No idea. “Paranormal Activity” was such a simple premise but it worked. Whoever thought a wife standing over her bed looking at her husband would cause tension? My favorite horror film is “30 Days of Night.” I need to give a damn about the people pitted against evil and these were good folks against some vicious vampires.

Seerek

This is the same with the Barbie movie. Apparently, one of the Barbies is played by a trans actor. I knew this going in (because of f*ckfaces like Ben "Fragile Masculinity" Shapiro screaming about it), but after the movie was over, I turned to my husband and said, "Wait, wasn't one of the Barbies supposed to be trans?" No, the actor is trans. The Barbie isn't. Or at least not that I could tell.

What is wrong with people that they can't deal with even the existence of trans people? Or the existence of any people doing things they don't agree with when it comes to that.

Too bad for the naysayers, because Hari Nef has been paving the way for about a decade now (since her role in Transparent). She's just getting started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information