Let's Talk Movies #36 - 2020 - Yep it is a new decade

annie720

What's kind of crazy to me is that theater organ playing was a thing. It must be a very hard job! And kind of expensive for the studios (I'm assuming they paid for it).
In the silent-film era, all of the theaters had organs, so perhaps the theaters themselves paid for the organists? Up until 48 hours ago, I had no knowledge of this genre. It was so cool to see the organ on the stage in front of the screen descend into the depths as the movie starts, and then rises up again at the end. The organist playing on Sunday is a 21-year-old phenom who has been in love with doing organ accompaniment for movies since his early teens. He'll be returning in September to play for another silent film, Safety Last from 1923, at this same theater. I just found it all fascinating.

watchthis!!

A little while ago I posted about Eye In The Sky, a movie which was about the use of drones during war attacks. While I liked it okay, a much better movie on the subject is Good Kill starring Ethan Hawke. He plays a former Air Force pilot who now spends his days in a trailer on an army base near Las Vegas. He flies drones and waits for a controller to tell him when to detonate a bomb the drone is carrying. This is basically his job every day but the directions he is given on who he is to target to become questionable over time. His stress level builds and it begins to affect his family life. I found good kill to be more involving and more tense than Eye In The Sky. Starring along Hawke in this movie are Bruce Greenwood, Zoë Kravitz and January Jones.

Cachoo

I decided against any scary films and found a mystery I missed free on Pluto. It stars Tommy Lee Jones and is called "In the Electric Mist." It is based on a popular detective from James Lee Burke's series of mysteries set in Louisiana. The scenery was beautiful, the mystery compelling and the cast was a good one: Jones, Mary Steenburgen, John Goodman, Kelly MacDonald and Peter Sarsgaard plus many more. I especially loved the late drummer from "The Band", Levon Helm, as a kindly, old general. Helm was a fantastic musician and that man could act too. There are two mysteries, one involving a serial killer and another involving a decades-old murder.

Finally made it to see Barbie. I thought it was brilliant. I laughed out loud, teared up a bit, and just had a great time. My husband went with me, and he never would have gone without me. I asked what he thought, and he said it wasn’t his thing and shrugged, but then proceeded to drive around for an hour talking about it :lol:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Finally made it to see Barbie. I thought it was brilliant. I laughed out loud, teared up a bit, and just had a great time. My husband went with me, and he never would have gone without me. I asked what he thought, and he said it wasn’t his thing and shrugged, but then proceeded to drive around for an hour talking about it :lol:
Both Mr. Mac and I thought it was weird. I want to see it again though because I think I missed a lot. Not having been into Barbies, I don't think I got all references. In fact, I know I didn't because I watched a video that pointed out a ton of things I missed because I just didn't know my Doll History. And I can't believe I missed the Planet of the Apes reference. :duh:

Tesla

Whippet Good
Both Mr. Mac and I thought it was weird. I want to see it again though because I think I missed a lot. Not having been into Barbies, I don't think I got all references. In fact, I know I didn't because I watched a video that pointed out a ton of things I missed because I just didn't know my Doll History. And I can't believe I missed the Planet of the Apes reference. :duh:
That’s how I feel about the Super Mario Bros. movie. I think I missed a lot having never been into the game series. I thought it was a very weird but entertaining movie.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
That’s how I feel about the Super Mario Bros. movie. I think I missed a lot having never been into the game series. I thought it was a very weird but entertaining movie.
I did laugh a few times. But it was one of those situations where I was the only one in the theater laughing. Which made me self-conscious. (I often think things are funny that no one else does but also the audience wasn't that lively. :lol:)

Tesla

Whippet Good
I did laugh a few times. But it was one of those situations where I was the only one in the theater laughing. Which made me self-conscious. (I often think things are funny that no one else does but also the audience wasn't that lively. :lol:)
I laughed a few times, too. I did enjoy the depressed/dark blue star/flame thing, even though I don't know what it is or get the reference. :lol:

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team

watchthis!!

Top 10 Best Acting Performances by Musicians in Movies so far according to Billboard:

1. Cher, Moonstruck (1987)
2. Barbra Streisand, The Way We Were (1973)
3. Ice Cube, Boyz N the Hood (1991)
4. Lady Gaga, A Star Is Born (2018)
5. Judy Garland, The Wizard of Oz (1939)
6. Madonna, A League of Their Own (1992)
7. Prince, Purple Rain (1984)
8. Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls (2006)
9. Dolly Parton, 9 to 5 (1980)
10. Justin Timberlake, The Social Network (2010)

Anybody else you would add to the list?

Cachoo

Top 10 Best Acting Performances by Musicians in Movies so far according to Billboard:

Cher will always be my favorite but I'm surprised by this list. Others I might like more

Alana Haim "Licorice Pizza"
Jennifer Lopez "Selena"
David Bowie "The Man Who Fell to Earth"
Queen Latifah (How can she not be on this list???) Take your pick of films. I loved her in "The Secret Life of Bees."

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved

Judy Garland in "A Star Is Born" (1954)!!!!

caseyedwards

Jewel was amazingly natural and good in Ride With the Devil. She never acted before and has rarely acted since. But definitely could.

Last edited:

Cachoo

Jewel was amazingly natural and good in Ride With the Devil. She never acted before and has rarely acted since. But definitely could.
Nice! I am not a big Mark Wahlberg fan but he has some success. I do love this scene from "Boogie Nights" and I think he garners the most praise for that film.

But I think he stole the show from a star-laden cast in "The Departed" when he played a pit bull of an obnoxious detective who trusted no one in the department. He earned an Oscar nomination and brought some levity to a heavy show.

manhn

I forget Jared Leto has or had a band. Lopez was known for her acting and dancing before becoming a well-known musician. People like Russel Crowe, Kevin Bacon and Jamie Foxx are musicians too, I guess.

VGThuy

This is a very weird list as there were so many musician-actors in the past during the golden age of musical films, and many of them crossed over to non-musical roles. And everybody knows I worship Madonna (in a very normal way), but she does NOT belong on a list of "best acting performances" when there are so many great musician-actor performances out there... now if it was a list of best acting in music videos... yes, she should be on that list.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
I had once read that Jared Leto said he did movies to help fund the band. I saw 30 Seconds To Mars in 2011 as the headliner to Q101 Jamboree in Tinley Park, IL. Fantastic show and I got some fun pictures.

I'm not a Madonna fan at all, but I do think she did a good job in Evita.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Timberlake barely does anything in The Social Network so I don't really see why he's on this list. I have very strong feelings about Judy Garland's performance in A Star is Born so her being lower than Lady Gaga bugs me on principle. I know it's The Wizard of Oz that's on this list but her performance in A Star is Born is so much stronger.

Cachoo

I had once read that Jared Leto said he did movies to help fund the band. I saw 30 Seconds To Mars in 2011 as the headliner to Q101 Jamboree in Tinley Park, IL. Fantastic show and I got some fun pictures.

I'm not a Madonna fan at all, but I do think she did a good job in Evita.
So he's about 40 looking about 20. Did he make a deal with devil for eternal youth?

I watched the "Total Recall" remake with Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale, Bryan Cranston, Bill Nighy and Jessica Biel. And I was disappointed. I do think it is better than the original. But this would make a great series rather than a science fiction shoot-em up. It is based on a Philip K. Dick story and involves political struggle, mixed-up identities, haves and have nots and a lot of interesting gadgets. This could be better if it had more time to flesh out the story.

Last edited:

manhn

Triangle of Sadness was an overlong “Eat the Rich” diatribe. I actually liked the first 30 minutes but once it gets to the cruise, I was bored silly. Dolly De Leon was fun, I suppose, but I felt nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information