Just Had to Ask: So If You Won A Billion Dollars

Tinami Amori

:D

Alfred P. Doolittle: "The old bloke died and left me four thousand pounds a year in his bloomin' will. Who asked him to make a gentleman out of me? I was happy. I was free. I touched pretty nigh everyone for money when I wanted it, same as I touched him. Now, I'm tied neck and heels, and everybody touches me. A year ago, I hadn't a relation in the world except one or two who wouldn't speak to me. Now, I've fifty, and not a decent week's wages amongst the lot of 'em. Oh, I have to live for others now, not for myself. Middle-class morality."

danceronice

Corgi Wrangler
That would be a big concern of mine too if I won. Frankly, would it even be possible?

If one were to win, is there any chance to maintain privacy with a jackpot this big? I think you can claim the prize anonymously, but I just can't imagine being able to realistically keep your identity hidden in the age of social media now.

AFAIK, you cannot claim anonymously-part of the deal is you have to cooperate with the lotto people on publicity, but if I were to win one thing I would discuss with the lotto commission would be personal-safety concerns about announcing what I had. Single female living alone? Heck, one thing I WOULD spell out is that not that my dating life is great to begin with but this would effectively end it forever-if the winner were single they could never, ever trust anyone expressing romantic interest who wasn't already a billionaire themselves.

And as someone who's won gambling amounts big enough to trigger auto-reporting and W2Gs, there's no way around the taxes (rather like investment income they don't care who you are or how much you make from anything else) and no donations would balance it out as charitable deductions are based on percentages of income-the IRS will take their chunk before you get any of it, but if you hit a solo win of THIS jackpot after a lump sum payout it would still be hundreds of millions.

Cachoo

I see the "Ellen" and a few other talk shows are handing out tickets. Why not? It doesn't cost the show a lot and what a story if one of the audience members wins.

Allskate

My friend and I bought two tickets to share yesterday. We're going to billionaires!!! :lol:

For both of us, I think the most valuable thing the money would buy is a reduction in some of the stress we currently have in our lives. It's not fancy houses or cars or luxury trips. It's things like being able to hire someone to help her father who lives with her and is dealing with early onset dementia. We'd probably then create a foundation and dole out grants to charitable organizations.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
That would be a big concern of mine too if I won. Frankly, would it even be possible?

If one were to win, is there any chance to maintain privacy with a jackpot this big? I think you can claim the prize anonymously, but I just can't imagine being able to realistically keep your identity hidden in the age of social media now.
I plan to put 100% of any large winnings in several trust funds. That way, I won't have access to the money unless it's under the terms of the trust. I can then be honest in telling people that I don't have any of it and if they need something, to contact my trust administrator.

Cachoo

Yeah but those folks know their artistry and creativity helped them make their fortune. Somehow plunking a couple of bucks down for a lottery ticket isn't so impressive. I think that is why I would want to die a poor woman if I won: I don't think I'm worthy and I would want to make sure the money is going to worthy people and causes. But don't get me wrong: I'd certainly have fun spending some of it.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I would just definitely make sure not to lose the lottery ticket, don't put it near anything hot, don't accidentally throw the ticket away or get it mixed up with other tickets that weren't winners.

This is exactly what has apparently happened in Montegut, Louisiana. A person purchased a winning Louisiana Lottery Powerball ticket worth one million dollars at Point-Aux-Chenes Supermarket August 5th, 2015. No one has claimed it yet, and the deadline is February 1st. I bet the folks in Montegut, Louisiana are freaking by now and wondering if maybe they accidentally threw the ticket away.

I have a feeling the people that own the supermarket are freaking, too, since it was a winning ticket they sold.

Unclaimed 1 million dollar prize in Montegut

smurfy

I can't remember the details, but I am pretty sure one of the big winners was claimed by a lawyer and he was representing some group. Here in Connecticut awhile back, memory not good.

If I won, haha
-I would feel secure and have fun.
-travel - lots and lots (go to Worlds every year, Olympics and general travel to everywhere)
-help family
-figure out a way for a foundation or something for 'random act of kindess' type giving - have fun doing it - new job.
-be wary of 'old friends' coming out of the woodwork
back to work, have to stop daydreaming.

Simone411

Okay, y'all. I got the powerball number which is 10 multiplied by 3. I won 12 dollars! Whoohoo, I'm rich!! :rofl: :rockstar:

I meant to add that I only purchased 2 quick picks this time with the power play.

Simone411

Ticket in CA won. So not me :(
Look at it like this. There will be other chances to win. It may not be the big prize, but you could luck out and do like I did when I won 4 out of 6 numbers.

It only takes one ticket to win whether it's 4 dollars or the jackpot. But you won't win anything if you don't purchase at least one ticket. 12 dollars is better than nothing, and I wouldn't have won that if I hadn't purchased the two quick picks.

jlai

Question everything
With a billion dollars I can buy icenetwork and set up a skating foundation! And I will buy enough votes for whoever I want to be isu president.

After paying off my mortgage and buying a second home of course.
And I will be able to attend all the gps, us nationals, 4cc and worlds every year.

Lorac

Ticket in CA won. So not me :(

Looks like 3 winning tickets in California, Tennesse and Florida. If they take the lump sum that would be about 310 million per win before taxes. So about 175 million or so per winning ticket after taxes are taken. Not a bad payday. I always hope the winners are syndicates so more people get a share for the pot. Hope all the winners enjoy their good fortune and enjoy all their new friends ;)

Susan1

Another $1M ticket was sold somewhere in Ohio - for 5 numbers right. I could live with that! I'm just too cheap to buy a ticket!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I have to admit that I was disappointed that it wasn't me that won one of those 3 tickets, but I am in Arizona. We rarely see a winner here. I did read that two 1 million dollar tickets were sold in our state (one in the Phoenix metro area) at the penultimate draw (last Saturday). I just have to keep trying, I guess. :lol:

Simone411

Well, I actually won 8 dollars. The power play was 2X. I don't know why I thought it was 3X. Well, I did have some Bailey's Irish Cream in my coffee while I was trying to write the numbers down.

@Susan1 5 numbers with the power play will get you 2 million instead of one million. So always add the power play which is one dollar more.

TOADS

Toad whisperer.....
Won $8 as well.

I am glad in a way that I didn't win the whole thing.

Your life would be forever changed and in many cases, not for the better....

Simone411

Won $8 as well.

I am glad in a way that I didn't win the whole thing.

Your life would be forever changed and in many cases, not for the better....
Hey, I found out that 20 million people got the power ball number. I am, too, in a way. I'd probably discover relatives I never knew I had before. Not sure if I wish to find out anything like that. ;)

BaileyCatts

One of the girls at work won like $400, and she picked her own numbers. When I do play on my own, which really isn't that often, I always go with the random computer pick because the drawing is so .. random anyway! :lol:

We got nuthin' in our pool this time. Not one stinkin' dollar.

Susan1

Well, I actually won 8 dollars. The power play was 2X. I don't know why I thought it was 3X. Well, I did have some Bailey's Irish Cream in my coffee while I was trying to write the numbers down.

@Susan1 5 numbers with the power play will get you 2 million instead of one million. So always add the power play which is one dollar more.

One of Ohio's $1M winners was from a Speedway in Centerville (city next door). I've bought gas there before. Now everybody is going to buying their tickets there.

They aren't releasing the name. I read that Ohio is one of the states where you can remain anonymous (until you tell one person you know, anyway, then the whole world will know).

Simone411

That's pretty neat. I have relatives that live in Ohio but not in Centerville. I just looked it up for the state of Louisiana. I'm afraid that no one winning over $600 dollars can remain Anonymous. It's required to complete a tax form for tax purposes. Also because of the lottery's statute, all prize payment records are open to the public. The public in the state of Louisiana has a right to request the information. :)

smurfy

One of Ohio's $1M winners was from a Speedway in Centerville (city next door). I've bought gas there before. Now everybody is going to buying their tickets there.

They aren't releasing the name. I read that Ohio is one of the states where you can remain anonymous (until you tell one person you know, anyway, then the whole world will know).

I would not buy a ticket from a place that sold a good one - they already had their big one.

Cachoo

I spent a couple of bucks because my mother requested a ticket. Here's the thing though: Many years ago my father matched the first five numbers on a lottery ticket. The sixth number was 32 and he had 33. It was a state lottery and the pot was around $800,000. He did win something but I have always felt that coming that close was our "shot" and lady luck would not come around again. So I have not bothered buying tickets unless there is a specific request.

Xela M

I spent a couple of bucks because my mother requested a ticket. Here's the thing though: Many years ago my father matched the first five numbers on a lottery ticket. The sixth number was 32 and he had 33. It was a state lottery and the pot was around $800,000. He did win something but I have always felt that coming that close was our "shot" and lady luck would not come around again. So I have not bothered buying tickets unless there is a specific request.

There are people who won the lottery jackpot several times.

Cachoo

I know and Mom tells me not playing is it's own self-fulfilling prophecy. But I can't shake the feeling that it is a total waste of money because our time came and went.

PeterG

I know and Mom tells me not playing is it's own self-fulfilling prophecy. But I can't shake the feeling that it is a total waste of money because our time came and went.

:rolleyes: Maybe you're just one of those people who chooses not to play the lottery, but works hard, saves their money and maybe invests it with the help of a financial advisor. I've heard about people like you...............

:p

Cachoo

:rolleyes: Maybe you're just one of those people who chooses not to play the lottery, but works hard, saves their money and maybe invests it with the help of a financial advisor. I've heard about people like you...............

:p

Thank you Peter. I do try to save and I have sought advice on investments because I know NOTHING. But there are so good folks out there that know a lot and are helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information