ISU Statement on Russia's war against Ukraine - Participation in international competitions of Skaters and Officials from Russia and Belarus

Trillian

So, that pretty much rules out all the Russian skaters except... Tuktamysheva, Boikova/Kozlovskii, and Davis/Smolkin????

LOL - all those appearances at Putin rallies and social media posts that have been screenshot saved and shared all over are gonna come back to haunt a LOT of skaters.

Even if 3.5.2 doesn’t disqualify every skater, 3.5.1 might make a lot of them questionable. What percentage of their training is financially supported by the Russian government and/or other organizations? Can they really claim to be “in no way represent[ing] their state or any other organisation in their country” when they’re essentially government employees? My guess is that very few skaters could reasonably qualify under this point alone.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Even if 3.5.2 doesn’t disqualify every skater, 3.5.1 might make a lot of them questionable. What percentage of their training is financially supported by the Russian government and/or other organizations? Can they really claim to be “in no way represent[ing] their state or any other organisation in their country” when they’re essentially government employees? My guess is that very few skaters could reasonably qualify under this point alone.
Excellent point. Tuktamysheva is probably earning enough money through her own endeavors to support her skating, and we know that Davis/Smolkin are self-funded. Beyond that, who knows?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Some Eteri girls have endorsements don't they?
Probably. It's going to get interesting, to see whether or not they drop those sponsorships if their sponsors are on any sanctions lists.

Russian skating is so tangled up these days with the oligarchs and government funding, it's really hard to think that most of them will be able to compete internationally. Really, I think the list might be as short as Tuktamysheva and Davis/Smolkin - and even DavSmo, unless it's Papa Smo paying for all of it with no Eteri money...

airgelaal

Trillian

Excellent point. Tuktamysheva is probably earning enough money through her own endeavors to support her skating, and we know that Davis/Smolkin are self-funded. Beyond that, who knows?

I wonder if Russia would create any barriers for skaters like Tuktamysheva (or others) if they wanted to continue training there while publicly distancing themselves from the Russian government, though. I could see that being kind of a tightrope.

Davis & Smolkin might actually be the most likely skaters to make this work. And that’s only if Eteri’s status in Russia doesn’t somehow complicate things. Like, if her mom would face backlash from Russia because Diana disavows them, is she still willing to do it? Who knows. But they have the most obvious path of any top Russian skaters.

On My Own

Joint Statement from Ukrainian Athletes and Global Athlete
Well that's reasonable. Money speaks, and ratings and live audience unfortunately matter. You can't get enough people to boycott the Olympics.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Good - I'm glad they're calling the IOC's statement out for what it is.

Russian skaters have no business joining international skating competition unless they have been loudly open against the war. Doing the absolute LEAST of not showing up to Putin rallies is not enough.

Firedancer

I agree with everything in this. Russian and Belarusian athletes should not be allowed to compete as long as the war continues. It’s really sad that the IOC still won’t stand up to Russia at this point.

airgelaal

By the they, this statement was supported by Belarus Sport Solidarity Federation Athletes

airgelaal

I really feel sorry for the athletes from Belarus. Since the protests, many have risked their careers, some have ended up in jail. Some were lucky to escape from Belarus. If someone is a hostage in this situation, then it is precisely the Belarusian athletes. They didn't choose this government, they opposed it, but russia supported this government.
I do not remember the same activity from russian athletes. they always support government. Even now

airgelaal

Vagabond

So, that pretty much rules out all the Russian skaters except... Tuktamysheva, Boikova/Kozlovskii, and Davis/Smolkin????

LOL - all those appearances at Putin rallies and social media posts that have been screenshot saved and shared all over are gonna come back to haunt a LOT of skaters.

I really feel sorry for the athletes from Belarus. Since the protests, many have risked their careers, some have ended up in jail. Some were lucky to escape from Belarus. If someone is a hostage in this situation, then it is precisely the Belarusian athletes. They didn't choose this government, they opposed it, but russia supported this government.
I do not remember the same activity from russian athletes. they always support government. Even now
Perhaps we will eventually see more "Neutral" athletes from Belarus competing at the Olympics than ones from Russia. I think I would like that.

Dub16

Are Russians not supposed to celebrate their victory over hitler anymore
Probably shouldn’t be doing in the first place given their collaboration with the Nazis before Germany invaded them. :shuffle:
Again: This picture is from an Averbukh show that commemorated the 80th anniversary of the ending of the siege of Leningrad.
Context is everything.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
How does this make it any better, when Russia has imposed on cities such as Mariupol worse cruelty than during the Leningrad siege?
You do know that the Leningrad siege went on for YEARS and that more than a million people died because of it?
The show was meant as a celebration of a historic event and I bet had the war not started and had Averbukh done the show anyway, everyone would've liked it and celebrated this date.

No, I am not for Russia in the war that is going on right now, I condemn it and I, in no way, want to play down the atrocities that are being committed in Ukraine right now, but facts have to be gotten straight.

Asli

You do know that the Leningrad siege went on for YEARS and that more than a million people died because of it?

The fact that Mariupol didn't have a million inhabitants and was not able to hold for years against Russian aggression doesn't make the aggression any less cruel.

The show was meant as a celebration of a historic event and I bet had the war not started and had Averbukh done the show anyway, everyone would've liked it and celebrated this date.
Obviously. If Russia weren't currently invaders in Ukraine, they would have the right to commemorate their victory against invaders. As it is, they don't need that re-enactement of the siege. They are already enacting invasion, only their role is reversed.

On My Own

No, I am not for Russia in the war that is going on right now, I condemn it and I, in no way, want to play down the atrocities that are being committed in Ukraine right now, but facts have to be gotten straight.
It's fair to point it out, but as it's been said by @Rainbow, this show seems more like it's been made to promote the "We are anti-Ukraine because they're Nazis" propaganda from Putin. I don't have any interest in canceling the men in that show (IDK how many would've made the connection - which would be perfect to get them to agree and be used for propaganda, and it would be easy to trick the audience as well), but let's not pretend this is just some innocent thing the show's organizers have done especially when I don't think such a celebration even existed before.

shah

Shhh... shhh...

Oh please...

As for getting facts straight - let me simply remind you that my country (Poland) was attacked by both Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia, as a result of a certain pact between them. Can we call it a collaboration? In my opinion, yes. Are you going to downplay it the way you downplay the importance of that propagandist show? :rolleyes:

Yuri

Let's get real here, I cannot imagine the ISU punishing athletes for celebrating Victory Day on the ninth of May, commemorating the FSU's/Russia's victory in Europe in the Great War (WW II for most nations) where they lost roughly 27 million soldiers and citizens. Completely unimaginable casualties. The great alliance among Great Britain, Russia, and the United States was essential to defeat Hitler's Nazi Germany, and the US and Britain celebrate Victory-Europe day on May 8th (and the US also celebrates Victory-Japan day on September 2nd). Heck, even Ukraine normally celebrates Victory Day since they were part of the Soviet Union back then.

My guess is the ISU and the IOC will err on the side of inclusion for Russian athletes and most of them will be back by the Paris Summer Olympics next year. I think support of the Putin regime's attack on Ukraine (actually, opposition to the ISU's peace efforts) will need to be much more obvious than celebrating Victory Day by attending a military parade, participating in a sports ceremony with Putin, or even receiving state-sponsored funding from the government, oligarchs, or Russian corporations.

Russian athletes have been competing all along in ice hockey in the NHL and (Wimbledon-excepted) mostly on the pro tennis tours, albeit those athletes generally don't live and train in Russia like most of the figure skaters. I expect most Russian figure skaters to be back participating in ISU events for the 2023-24 season (to begin earning full slots internationally for 2024-25), but I don't see the ISU awarding any Grand Prix or other skating events to Russia -- or allowing skaters to participate under the flag -- until some time after the hostilities cease.

alice73

Are Russians not supposed to celebrate their victory over hitler anymore
Short answer would be no, they are not. They’ve given up that right when they started a brutal war against their neighbor, and topped it off with propaganda that rivals Nazi Germany. And threatened to use nuclear weapons.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information