2024 ISU Congress Agenda

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
I really, really wish the ISU folks would learn how to write regulations with clarity.

Funny you mention that, because the first proposal in the document is to overhaul the whole thing:

Resolution to empower the ISU Council to undertake preparation of a new Constitutional framework of the ISU
and to submit it for discussion and adoption by an Extraordinary ISU Congress in 2025.

Reason: The constitutional framework of the ISU dates back to 1892 and consists of the ISU Constitution and
General Regulations. Since 1892, the ISU Constitution and General Regulations have been amended 58 times
to address issues on a piecemeal basis, which has led to overloading the Constitution and General Regulations
with detailed provisions, thereby destroying its shape as the constitutional framework of the basic governance
of an association organized under Swiss law. For example, as it exists today, the ISU Constitution and General
Regulations include many detailed sport rules and operations rules which are unrelated to the basic
governance framework of the ISU and are more appropriately addressed in other parts of the ISU Statutes,
policies, and guidelines.

The main objectives of the modernization of the Constitution and General Regulations will be:

1) Enhanced Clarity and Simplicity.
The current Constitution is difficult to read and is unnecessarily long. Examples of how it will be
modernized include (a) grouping all rules governing a specific topic under the same Article or rules
section; and (b) moving the sport-related rules from the General Regulations and incorporating
them, as appropriate, into a general rules section for each of the Special Regulations and
Technical Rules for Short Track Speed Skating, Speed Skating, Single & Pair and Ice Dance, and
Synchronized Skating.

2) Improved Consistency.
The Constitution and General Regulations have internal inconsistencies in terminology and
substantive provisions. The modernization will ensure consistency throughout the provisions of the
Constitution in both the substance of the rules and the terminology used.

3) Increased Agility.
Excessive detail in the current Constitution and General Regulations hinders the ISU’s ability to
adapt sufficiently quickly to a rapidly changing environment. For example, Article 38, paragraph 4
of the Constitution, which details specific job titles (ISU Event Managers/ISU Assistant Event
Managers) and responsibilities of certain Secretariat staff positions, limits the ISU’s ability to have
a Secretariat staff structure that meets the needs of the ISU. The modernization of the Constitution
will allow for swifter adjustments to be made when needed.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I don't think a major overhaul of the system in the middle of an Olympic cycle is the best idea. If anything, this should've been the big project they worked on in 2020 when they had a lot of down time, minimal fall competitions, and a condensed ISU Championships in 2021. They could've easily reworked the ISU World Standings, too. And what did we get? The birth of the 'q' maybe?

I've said it for who knows how many years now, but removing the step sequence from the singles' free skates would solve so many problems. Most of the skaters are just repeating what they've done in the short more or less, and the extra 30-45 seconds leads to so many more possibilities for choreography 'moments'.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I've said it for who knows how many years now, but removing the step sequence from the singles' free skates would solve so many problems. Most of the skaters are just repeating what they've done in the short more or less, and the extra 30-45 seconds leads to so many more possibilities for choreography 'moments'.
That's an interesting thought that I wouldn't be opposed to, TBH.

I feel the same way, to some extent, with Pairs - I'd be in favor of removing the solo SBS jumping pass in the FS since we already have it in the SP and leave just the SBS jump combo for the FS which would also free up more time in the FS for more interesting pairs elements. Who doesn't love a good pairs spiral or spread eagle sequence at a high point in the music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information