In Memoriam

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Maybe he needs his own thread but maybe not

If that link wants more from you than you are willing to give, here is a gifted link to WaPo:
https://wapo.st/3QTI9Ks (gifted)

skatingguy

decently

“Once you’ve been to Cambodia, you’ll never stop wanting to beat Henry Kissinger to death with your bare hands. You will never again be able to open a newspaper and read about that treacherous, prevaricating, murderous scumbag sitting down for a nice chat with Charlie Rose or attending some black-tie affair for a new glossy magazine without choking. Witness what Henry did in Cambodia – the fruits of his genius for statesmanship – and you will never understand why he’s not sitting in the dock at The Hague next to Milošević.”​

― Anthony Bourdain

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Thanks @skatingguy for sharing that article.

Two of the most vociferous critics, Christopher Hitchens and William Shawcross, branded Dr. Kissinger a war criminal. Journalist Seymour M. Hersh, in “The Price of Power,” said Dr. Kissinger and Nixon were basically two of a kind: They “remained blind to the human costs of their actions. The dead and maimed in Vietnam and Cambodia — as in Chile, Bangladesh, Biafra and the Middle East — seemed not to count as the President and his national security adviser battled the Soviet Union, their misconceptions, their political enemies, and each other.

At the very least, those who did not admire Dr. Kissinger felt that his focus on Cold War realities and his willingness to use force — openly or covertly — to advance U.S. objectives blinded him to humanitarian and human rights considerations.

It wasn't just the dead and maimed in Vietnam and Cambodia. It's what our military was exposed to while they were there.

A war with themselves—physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually for some. Agent Orange has not only affected those with direct contact, but it has affected their families as well. Future generations are left to fight the residual effects of a war that ended nearly five decades ago.

The U.S. sprayed millions of gallons of Agent Orange on the jungles of Vietnam, as part of “Operation Ranch Hand” and lasted from 1961 to 1971. Parts of neighboring Cambodia and Laos were also affected. The effects of the chemical weapon are still being felt to this day. Image courtesy of Cempaka Health, Welfare and Society

One such individual who has inherited the harsh legacy of Agent Orange is 40-year-old, Melissa from California and daughter of a Vietnam veteran. The mother of two has a uterus anomaly, which makes it more challenging to have children, and grew up with a growth hormone deficiency which required her to take human growth hormone injections for four to five years after her growth was stunted around the age of eight—along with a host of other medical conditions.

Many second and third generation off-spring of Vietnam veterans suffer from a variety of a long list of medical conditions. The problem however, is that as of now, there are still a severe lack of knowledge and studies as it pertains to conditions that can reliably be traced to Agent Orange exposure among the following generations.

Yes, one of the worst war criminals in history has died. No need to say anymore.

Cachoo

Rolling Stones' headline has War Criminal in the headline. I thought posting that one might be controversial. :D
Gawd that administration sucked. When you combine the bombings in Cambodia and the rise of the murderous Pol Pot because of the bombings you find Kissinger responsible for oceans of blood. And correct me if I am wrong but wasn’t he also part of the group that sought to keep LBJ from peace negotiations in Viet Nam? Just wanton disregard for human life….

skateycat

One of Nature's Non-Spinners
Shane McGowan, lead singer of The Pogues, has died.

Awwwww, ever since I heard the song “If I Should Fall From Grace With God” in a Berkeley record store when I was in high school eleventy years ago, I have loved the Pogues. RIP Shane.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Gawd that administration sucked. When you combine the bombings in Cambodia and the rise of the murderous Pol Pot because of the bombings you find Kissinger responsible for oceans of blood. And correct me if I am wrong but wasn’t he also part of the group that sought to keep LBJ from peace negotiations in Viet Nam? Just wanton disregard for human life….
If people want to discuss Kissinger's politics, I started a thread in PI:

Rob

Beach Bum
I think you are right - Nixon, Haldeman, Anna Chennault, Mitchell etc. and it has been reported that Kissinger gave the warning to Nixon of the peace talks. Of course all denied. But then Kissinger gets the Nobel Peace Prize later, what a travesty. At least Le Duc Tho refused to accept the prize. More than shady, downright war criminal.

vgerdes

Yes, the passing of creative icons Norman Lear and Shane MacGowan made me infinitely sadder than the death of Kissinger, who may have been revered by some in life but will undoubtedly be viewed by future generations as a war criminal of the worst sort, who was never called to account for his crimes.

Cachoo

Ryan O'Neal has died

For some reason his name brings back memories I have not thought of in years:

1. My parents were fans of him in “Peyton Place.” I never saw it.

2. My parents were hoping that my sister and I would fall asleep before “Love Story” started at the drive-in. We didn’t—we wanted to know if we could say “bad words” since Jenny said them.

3. My mom and I giggling through “What’s Up Doc?”

4. Dr. James Costigan (Jim) talking about being cast as an extra in “Paper Moon” in a forgotten university communications class.

RIP Ryan.

Skate Talker

Yes lots of memories. I'm kind of curious why there seems to be no mention, unless I missed it, of Ryan's many appearances on Bones playing Dr. Brennan's father.

Cachoo

From Homicide to Brooklyn 99, you couldn’t have two more different cop characters. What a talent. What a loss.

RIP Mr. Braugher.

😭
He also played a kick-ass attorney on the last season of “The Good Fight.” I will never forget Detective Frank Pembleton though. He was great in that show. It feels like he had more to give because he was so talented—this is a painful loss. RIP

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information