Gymnastics #24 - The Road to Paris

Irina89

Anyone watching WAG Euros?
I did. European gymnastics has regressed so much. Even with the Russians in the mix I just can not see how they could compete against the Americans, Brazilians, the Chinese or even the Japanese and the Canadians. I am happy that Romania has a team again but sad at the same time that we still live in the past and justify our failures by saying that others have destroyed the sport.

Rob

Beach Bum
Core (US) Classic has quite the roster. 3 Olympic AA champions, Olympic Floor Champions, Olympic Team Medalists, World Champions and Medalists, NCAA Champions, and now Konnor McClain (NCAA Team Champion) has registered too.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I received an email today from Peacock about entering their sweepstakes to win a trip for two to the Paris Olympic. If you subscribe to Peacock, you may have already received it, too. I can't go but I'm thinking someone here might be lucky enough to win.

Enter for a chance to win a trip to the 2024 Paris Olympics for you and a friend, July 26 – Aug 1. Witness the pinnacle of athletic excellence in one of the most iconic cities in the world.

You could win a 6-night trip for two to the 2024 Paris Olympics including:

• Roundtrip airfare to Paris, France
  • Hotel Accommodations in Paris
  • Olympic event tickets for:
    • Swimming
    • Artistic Gymnastics
    • Skateboarding
    • Cycling BMX Freestyles
ETA that I clicked on the link and it said "Sorry. This promotion is only for subscribers. What it means is that you have to sign into Peacock before you click on the link.

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Thought I would share this new article on putting together the best U.S. Women's Olympic Gymnastics team from today's Washington Post! It gives you the option of selecting the best approach based on past performance and then let's you tweak it. Have fun!

My initial selection on the team is the following:

I just checked and the results didn't come through. I go back and redo it...

Last edited:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Thought I would share this new article on putting together the best U.S. Women's Olympic Gymnastics team from today's Washington Post! It gives you the option of selecting the best approach based on past performance and then let's you tweak it. Have fun!

My initial selection on the team is the following:

I don't think that shows your team?

I ended up with Simone, Skye, Shilese, Jade, and Jocelyn using their overall numbers.

If I put in Kayla instead of Jade, it thinks I'm only strong on vault, but TBH, I'd rather have someone who I could put on every apparatus than someone who I'd only be comfortable with on one. Jordan could be an option there, but TBH I think Kayla has looked stronger the last couple of years. Jordan might still get there though. Skye is going on beam and bars, so I think she's who Suni would have to beat.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I posted this in TV Alerts, and wanted to add it here, too, since this was where I originally posted about the Peacock Sweepstakes:

Okay. I just checked my email again, and the sweepstakes is valid. When I clicked on the link in the email, it redirected me to the sweepstakes entry form, and it then contained the link I posted above.

This time, I highlighted the link before I clicked on it, and this is the actual link which is much longer. I wasn't signed into Peacock when I clicked on the link, and it did take me to the entry form page.

I'm adding the longer link from the email here. If you still can't get to the entry form, you may have to sign into Peacock for it to work for you.

At any rate, this is the real link to click on. I'm not sure why any of you haven't received this email from Peacock, and apparently you haven't. This is the reason I wanted to share it in the first place.

Keeping my fingers crossed that it works for you.

https://clicks.email.peacocktv.com/...WukNmtP8ODFIQYW5naWUwNzZAbXNuLmNvbVgEAAAABw~~

ETA: I just clicked on it and it works.

Carolla5501

So I’m watching the core hydration classic and honestly I think for Gabby it’s over

I never really thought she had a great shot at making the team but I think she had to compete all four events here and doing one and falling twice and walking out even if she’s injured isn’t going to help her. if she’s injured there would be questions about her ability to recover and be ready and if she’s not injured, it’s even bigger?

FiveRinger

I wish someone would do a study, if there hasn't been one done already, that explains why some athletes are more prone to injury than others. I'd love to know more

ilovepaydays

Simone’s Yuchenko Double Pike……there’s no way those hops were just an .8 deduction.

I want to know how she’s conditioning those Achilles.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Good meet for Jordan Chiles too. Bummer for Jade on the bars and I'm not sure she's bringing enough in vault or floor to justify a selection to a team that is going to have Simone and Shilese on it. We'll see what Suni brings to Nationals in a couple weeks - she's going to need to show she can really contribute on bars (her beam was gorgeous). Rough go of it for a lot of other contenders - Leanne, Kayla, Skye. Calling it now - Tiana Sumanasekera is a dark horse to make the Olympic team.

skatfan

Gosh that was a hard meet to watch. All the falls on UB. Gabby scratching after a terrible UB (I wonder the flight delays messed up her mental game - she missed podium training, right). Connor’ Achilles injury.

In the plus side, Jade is ready to fight for a team spot along with at least five other gymnasts for thee remaining three spots (Biles and Jones seem locks if they stay healthy). Suni looks strongest that we’ve seen her since her diagnosis. We have av embarrassment of riches in the USA.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Some of this is really rough two months from the Olympics.

I bet if you looked back at this event in 2021, it was about the same. I have memories of it being a mess.

I think Skye's fall on bars wasn't great, but staying steady after that is good for her. Kayla looked more shaky than last year. Jade definitely did herself favors. I would say that Jade's fall on bars is 100% irrelevant, if I'm being honest. No one at USAG is looking at her for bars.

Agree that Simone and Shi are locks.*

*knock on wood.

Suni looks better and much healthier, but I'm not sure if she has enough time to get where she needs to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information