Canadian Pairs 2017/2018 Season News and Updates

barbarafan

But sadly, they are the only 3 pairs registered... Still, it's a good experience in view of future junior events.

They will still have to travel...run around....be around international skaters (even if not from their event) have to manage the adrenaline and try to trust their training...I believe their is one pair couple in seniors. Fun to watch. Great motivation.

Sk8mom123

They will still have to travel...run around....be around international skaters (even if not from their event) have to manage the adrenaline and try to trust their training...I believe their is one pair couple in seniors. Fun to watch. Great motivation.
It will be an exciting experience for these teams and will help prepare them for their junior experiences next season. Its great that they are getting these opportunities.

aliceanne

It might have worked out better if a huge glass door had not fallen on Dylan while he was training a few weeks before Nationals in January. Among other things his hand was injured and needed several stitches, and I think he also got a concussion and other injuries. Had he been healthy I/M would have had as good a shot at being on the Oly team as S/B and KMT/M. People mostly seemed to think it would be KMT/M who would be left at home.

They were struggling all season. In the past their SBS jumps kept them on the bubble, but this season they didn't have the PCS to overcome it.

prioretti

Remember people you never know the circumstances in the background. Partnerships are hard and are like a marriage you have to remember that. Rudi and Paige had a long partnership that ended as it ran its course. Rudi and Hayleigh were both coming off of time of from pairs and injuries but wanted to skate together, time just wasn't on their side to get every element and timing ready when you are so use to your past partners. It doesn't mean that they didn't have a great relationship or partnership they just didn't have the time they needed. Be kind everyone

Sylvia

TBD
Pj Kwong's latest podcast (April 3, 2018): http://www.openkwongdore.com/2018/04/03/episode-63-alison-purkiss/
... Alison Purkiss, former national pair competitor and now very well-known coach, made the catastrophic mistake of saying “sure!” (before asking what I wanted! Ha!)
In this podcast we hear how Alison got her start in skating and how she ended up in pairs at 11 years old and competing at her first Nationals at 12. It is a pretty interesting story given that as a pair girl, she was up in the air a lot and Alison is afraid of heights.
If you have ever wondered about a life in skating, what it’s like to compete in pairs or (the now defunct) fours or you just want to know more about the sport for your little skater, then my podcast with Alison Purkiss is for you.
Please note the abrupt end to our discussion at about the 15 minute mark is not because Alison walked away in a huff but rather a technical fail. Sorry about that but some Alison is better than none!

Sylvia

TBD
Egna Spring Trophy is being live streamed :) - Kiss & Cry section currently is open to all and I've posted the info there: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...april-5-8-egna-neumarkt-bolzano-italy.103674/
(will post link to Friday's live stream in the competition thread when it's up)

ETA what I just posted in the Canadian team splits thread... Josh Venema, age 20, is newly listed on IPS. He placed 4th in Novice Pairs with Sophia O’Brien-Doerksen at 2018 Canadians and his coaches are Anabelle Langlois-Hay and Cody Hay in Calgary.

Last edited:

DFO

The Advanced novice pairs will be skating tomorrow (friday) at 15:15 at the Egna Spring Trophy (link in a previous post). I guess it will mean 9:15 in NA eastern Time. If you want to see who will be the Canadian Junior champions in 2 years, these are the kids to Watch.

Sylvia

TBD
From Skate Canada's 2018 Egna Spring Trophy press release:
Canadian novice champions Brooke McIntosh, 13, Toronto, Ont., and Brandon Toste, 15, Mississauga, Ont., are one of three Canadian novice pairs entries. They train in Mississauga, Ont., with coach Andrew Evans.
Canadian novice silver medallists Marine Pouliot, 13, Lorraine, Que., and Alexandre Simard, 17, Rivière-Ouelle, Que., will also represent Canada in novice pairs. Pouliot and Simard train in Rosmère, Que., under coaches Yvan Desjardins and Violaine Émard.
Canadian novice bronze medallists Camille Perreault, 13, Orford, Que., and Bryan Pierro, 17, St-Hubert, Que., are the final Canadian novice pairs entry. They train in Chambly, Que., with coach Marc-André Craig.
Only 3 pairs were entered in this event - final results:
1 Brooke MCINTOSH / Brando TOSTE CAN 94.48 1 (35.83) 1 (58.65)
2 Marine POULIOT / Alexandre SIMARD CAN 92.58 2 (35.05) 2 (57.53)
3 Camille PERRAULT / Bryan PIERRO CAN 86.61 3 (30.24) 3 (56.37)

Re-posting these 2 relevant 2 posts from the Egna competition thread in Kiss & Cry:
Canada has the full set of JGP pairs spots and not that many teams left in junior, so I'd say there's a good chance we'll see them on the JGP. Of the six teams who got assignments this season, three aged out (Walsh/Michaud, Matte/Ferland, Choinard/Ostiguy), one split (Panetta/Lapointe), but he was aging out anyways, leaving two teams (the Boys-Eddy siblings and Levesque/Hudon). I sure we'll see a new team or two, but that still leaves space for a couple novice teams.

McIntosh/Toste have very strong lifts and a throw triple. Their coach said they're working on the triple twist now. And they'll have lots of years of eligibility since he's only 15. I'm sure they will be on the JGP at least.
I don't know the intentions of them, but the 3 pairs from Canada at Egna could all be ISU junior eligible this year. And don't forget Andrew/Knott who were already in junior last year but couldn't attend international event because Patricia Andrew was too young. She's the same age than the other grils. And I also expect Ripley/Brawley who didn't do well at National but are just a little behind, to move to junior also.

nimi

This was good to hear: "Looking to the future, Moscovitch plans to stay involved with skating through coaching, seminars and mentoring."

Even though he and his body are clearly done with competing, I'm glad if he feels that he's going to stay involved with skating in other ways. He just seems like a guy who'd be an A+ coach & mentor. :cheer2:

edit: "His skating partner, Ilyushechkina will be evaluating her opportunities in the coming months"
I thought I was ready to let go and accept that my beloved Luba will retire from competition, too... But reading this, now I'm getting my hopes up again, which is probably stupid and will result in further heart-break... :wuzrobbed

barbarafan

This was good to hear: "Looking to the future, Moscovitch plans to stay involved with skating through coaching, seminars and mentoring."

Even though he and his body are clearly done with competing, I'm glad if he feels that he's going to stay involved with skating in other ways. He just seems like a guy who'd be an A+ coach & mentor. :cheer2:

I thought I was ready to let go and accept that my beloved Luba will retire from competition, too... But reading this, now I'm getting my hopes up again, which is probably stupid and will result in further heart-break... :wuzrobbed
Hard to tell. Both of their scenarios were to go to the Olympics and then do some show skating. With Dylan's big accident right before nationals that was completely messed up. Lubov never got to go to an Olympic games so maybe ....... ?? I would love for her to coach...she just has everything skillwise and with her past experiences will be sure to look after her students health and well-being. She has coached before but she would have to get cdn certified & I don't know how long that takes. I would also like the idea of her doing pairs seminars as her elements are supreme. Fingers crossed.

Sylvia

TBD
Alexandra Pépin's Instagram profile says "Québec, Canada | professional ice skater⛸ | 🛳royal Caribbean"

Catherine M

So who will be skating senior pairs next season!?!

Last season who seem to still be together:

Julianne Seguin / Charlie Bilodeau
Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael Marinaro
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud
Camille Ruest / Drew Wolfe

Should def move on up from juniors:

Lori-Ann Matte / Thierry Ferland
Mariah McCaw / Steven Adcock
Chloe Choinard / Mathieu Ostiguy
Gabriella Marvaldi / Daniel Villeneuve

In search of a partner:

Maxime Deschamps
Francis Boudreau-Audet

Any others?

RoseRed

@Catherine M There's also Steven Lapointe looking for a partner. And Brasseur/Bardei for seniors.

And do we know that Marvaldi/Villeneuve are moving up? I believe they still have a season of junior eligibility because his birthday is July 2nd.

clairecloutier

So who will be skating senior pairs next season!?!

Should def move on up from juniors:

Lori-Ann Matte / Thierry Ferland
Mariah McCaw / Steven Adcock
Chloe Choinard / Mathieu Ostiguy
Gabriella Marvaldi / Daniel Villeneuve

The thing is, do any of these junior pairs have side-by-side triples? I can't remember which jumps Matte/Ferland were doing last year in juniors. (Whatever they were, they were not consistent with them ...) And I don't believe Marvaldi/Villeneuve had SBS triples when they were skating for the U.S.; but maybe that's changed??

ChiquitaBanana

The thing is, do any of these junior pairs have side-by-side triples? I can't remember which jumps Matte/Ferland were doing last year in juniors. (Whatever they were, they were not consistent with them ...) And I don't believe Marvaldi/Villeneuve had SBS triples when they were skating for the U.S.; but maybe that's changed??

Choinard/Ostiguy had triple toes in their long last year.

oleada

Matte/Ferland weren't doing SBS triples, I remember that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information