Canadian Pairs 2017/2018 Season News and Updates

RoseRed

Honestly, because Luba is so naturally flexible, she might not be good at teaching that stuff at all. People who are really naturally talented are often terrible teachers.

I mean, she might be great at it, but I actually see no reason to assume she'd be much better than Meagan at teaching that.

barbarafan

Honestly, because Luba is so naturally flexible, she might not be good at teaching that stuff at all. People who are really naturally talented are often terrible teachers.

I mean, she might be great at it, but I actually see no reason to assume she'd be much better than Meagan at teaching that.

she has experience in coaching and as well she has the beautiful Russian lines over and above the flexibility which until the advent of Eteri was drilled into Russian skaters.Her passion and work ethic is also amazing...However when it comes to enthusiasm and gung ho and diet Meaghan is tops. No idea why she has been asked to help though if it is even true. Dave spews out everything he hears without verifying his sources so I guess at some time we will find out.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I would bank on someone who was taught those lessons and applied herself to them at a later age to be able to teach those skills to another adult who also isn't naturally that flexible and who can't roll back the clock to get them incrementally and before movement defaults are ingrained.

Reactions: mag

mag

she has experience in coaching and as well she has the beautiful Russian lines over and above the flexibility which until the advent of Eteri was drilled into Russian skaters.Her passion and work ethic is also amazing...However when it comes to enthusiasm and gung ho and diet Meaghan is tops. No idea why she has been asked to help though if it is even true. Dave spews out everything he hears without verifying his sources so I guess at some time we will find out.

Being able to do something amazing well has very little to do with being able to teach something amazingly well. In this case, being able to analyze from what you see what is wrong and what needs to change (and at a very in depth level; not just “more stretch” or “more toe point,) understanding the required underlying muscle development, knowing and or being able to develop appropriate exercises to teach the required muscle memory, clearly explaining the exercises, modifying the exercises based on what is happening during practice, and providing appropriate support during what can be a very difficult time of retraining.

This is not to say Luba can’t do all of that or that Meaghan can. Just that the fact Luba has nice lines really means next to nothing, and from what we have seen from Meaghan, the odds are significantly in her favour when it comes to having those skills.

aftershocks

Banned Member
... Dave spews out everything he hears without verifying his sources

According to Dave, he heard it from the horse's mouth: Meagan Duhamel. ;) Altho' it's not clear Meagan gave him the go-ahead to spew. He even said 'sotto voce' that Meagan told him she wasn't planning to make an announcement. OTOH, surely Meagan realizes Dave suffers from name-dropping and run-off at the mouth disease. :p

barbarafan

According to Dave, he heard it from the horse's mouth: Meagan Duhamel. ;) Altho' it's not clear Meagan gave him the go-ahead to spew. He even said 'sotto voce' that Meagan told him she wasn't planning to make an announcement. OTOH, surely Meagan realizes Dave suffers from name-dropping and run-off at the mouth disease. :p

Oh well then. If she mentioned it to him she knows the news will be out. Still surprised she deals with him after what he said about her sister-in-law but I guess he grovelled a lot and cried and whined but I guess he has his uses.

Mad for Skating

Why can't Duhamel teach skaters extension and line? That is like thinking Luba can't teach skaters to learn how to jump consistently.

I'm not saying Meagan can't teach extension and line. In fact, her own extension and line improved a lot over the past few years. I just thought Luba would be great at showing them her own technique which is very unique and special.

I'm not sure what kind of coach Luba would be. I guess I'd have to see her teaching a master class or something.

I do agree that Meagan has a lot to offer. She's an Energizer Bunny and I don't think you'll find anyone more eager to help. So I'm definitely happy to see all that going to good use.

Being able to do something amazing well has very little to do with being able to teach something amazingly well. In this case, being able to analyze from what you see what is wrong and what needs to change (and at a very in depth level; not just “more stretch” or “more toe point,) understanding the required underlying muscle development, knowing and or being able to develop appropriate exercises to teach the required muscle memory, clearly explaining the exercises, modifying the exercises based on what is happening during practice, and providing appropriate support during what can be a very difficult time of retraining.

This is not to say Luba can’t do all of that or that Meaghan can. Just that the fact Luba has nice lines really means next to nothing, and from what we have seen from Meaghan, the odds are significantly in her favour when it comes to having those skills.

True. I'm a naturally good knitter and it drives me nuts when I try to teach my mom how to do something! And I can agree Meagan has the natural desire to teach. So I think this will work out great!

Mad for Skating

Oh well then. If she mentioned it to him she knows the news will be out. Still surprised she deals with him after what he said about her sister-in-law but I guess he grovelled a lot and cried and whined but I guess he has his uses.

I will never understand why Meagan is still friendly with Dave, but I guess it's none of my business...

DFO

Still 2 weeks to go for the Championnat québécois d'été registrations. But we will se some interesting things in Junior pairs when the "older" pairs will be facing some previously Novice pairs.

Link to the registered skaters is
https://patinage.qc.ca/wp-content/u...ts-List-of-registered-skaters-8-juin-2018.pdf

On June 10, already on the list are:
Choinard/Ostiguy (J5)
--/ Hudon (should be Gabrielle Levesque) (J3)
Marvaldi/Villeneuve (WD last year)
--/Mimar (should be Chloé Panetta) (New)
Perreault/ (should be Bryan Pierro) (N3)
Pouliot/Simard (N2)

I think Mathieu Ostiguy is too old for ISU junior.

Only Druest/Wolfe in senior yet.

Also 2 interesting Novice pairs with good potential
Cormier/St-Louis (Cormier is new to pairs, St-Louis was with Véronique Turbide in Novice last year)
Fournier/Fharand (PN2)

I Wonder if Audelin-Dubé/Éthier (PN1) will be there in Novice also.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
@DFO, do you want to go ahead and start the "Canadian Pairs 2018/2019 Season News and Updates" thread now?

ETA (to be cross-posted in their fan thread as well):

"Meagan Duhamel Drive" (in Lively, Sudbury, ON): https://www.instagram.com/p/BjyCySIgN3U/?taken-by=meaganduhamel
2 local articles:
https://www.sudbury.com/local-news/lively-celebrates-hometown-girl-meagan-duhamel-949490
http://www.thesudburystar.com/2018/06/08/duhamel-gets-warm-welcome

"Eric Radford Way" (in Balmertown, Red Lake, ON): https://www.instagram.com/p/BjyZ2iZhhYa/?taken-by=ericradford85
Article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/eric-radford-way-1.4697826

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information