2024 Winter Youth Olympic Games, Jan. 19-Feb. 1, Gangwon, South Korea

Sylvia

TBD
IAM has announced Gans and Boutsan selected for CAN Ice Dance
Link to Ice Academy of Montreal's post today in French & English: https://www.instagram.com/p/CzyXu12gBYm/

Congratulations to Audra Gans & Michael Boutsan who will represent Canada at the Youth Olympic Games which will be held in Gangwon, Korea from January 19 to February 1.

They are one of 2 Canadian couples to have been selected following their results on the international scene earlier this fall.

Well done Audra & Michael! What an extraordinary experience this will be.

ETA - copied from post #25 above:

The Skate Canada High Performance Development Committee will then base its athlete selection to the YOG on the following criteria: ...
2. Best international scores achieved at a Junior Grand Prix, junior international competition, Grand Prix or senior international competition from 20 August to 13 November 2023 in which the skater/team as been named to the Junior Grand Prix or international competition by Skate Canada. Scores achieved at a Grand Prix or senior international will be adjusted to match the junior technical requirements.
Ice Dance:
Caroline KRAVETS / Jacob STARK 116.55 (12th in Budapest)
Audra GANS / Michael BOUTSAN 115.03 (17th in Gdansk)

curmudge

Link to Ice Academy of Montreal's post today in French & English: https://www.instagram.com/p/CzyXu12gBYm/

Congratulations to Audra Gans & Michael Boutsan who will represent Canada at the Youth Olympic Games which will be held in Gangwon, Korea from January 19 to February 1.

They are one of 2 Canadian couples to have been selected following their results on the international scene earlier this fall.

Well done Audra & Michael! What an extraordinary experience this will be.

ETA - copied from post #25 above:

The Skate Canada High Performance Development Committee will then base its athlete selection to the YOG on the following criteria: ...
2. Best international scores achieved at a Junior Grand Prix, junior international competition, Grand Prix or senior international competition from 20 August to 13 November 2023 in which the skater/team as been named to the Junior Grand Prix or international competition by Skate Canada. Scores achieved at a Grand Prix or senior international will be adjusted to match the junior technical requirements.
Kravets/Stark confirmed by KWSC https://www.facebook.com/kwskatingc...rS48vsok9e7RoCZ8CVAE6Y71Qqjvl?mibextid=YxdKMJ

shirleyfryeburg

Do we know which countries are eligible for Team Event this year?
Here is my count:
Canada (all 4 events)
France (Men, Women, Dance)
Georgia (Men, Women, Pair)
South Korea (Men, Women, Dance)
Switzerland (Men,Women, Dance)
USA (all 4 events)
China (Men,Women, Dance?? seems like they get one spot for dance)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The US selections are now on the USFS international assignments page and are as expected: Sherry Zhang, Jacob Sanchez, Ilin/Cain (dance), and Smith/McPike
Hey, @Sylvia - do we know if WYOG scores count toward TES mins? Thinking about Smith/McPike and our lack of pairs teams with Jr Worlds TES mins...

dancing_on_ice

Thinking about Smith/McPike and our lack of pairs teams with Jr Worlds TES mins...
Smith/McPike seem unlikely to be able to get Junior Worlds tech minimums based on their performance at Boston Open.

On USFS' international assignments list, they plan to send skaters to Challenge Cup, which has a junior pairs portion. Unfortunately, Bavarian Open is not an option this year since it's the same week as US Nationals. I imagine that USFS will be sending teams like Park/Griffin, Zheng/Deng, and/or Fletcher/Felberbaum. Currently, Zheng/Deng and Fletcher/Felberbaum are listed on the ISP, though Jenni Meno has posted that Park/Griffin were added to the ISP, though they're not listed yet.

Those 3 teams are capable of getting tech minimums on a good day. Park/Griffin's scores at US Pairs Final would've been enough, Zheng/Deng's scores at their first domestic comp of the season would have been enough, and Fletcher/Felberbaum have domestically scored a high enough TES at different comps in the separate segments.

Whichever team places highest at Challenge Cup and gets the tech minimums should earn the third Junior Worlds spot alongside Flores/Wang and Williams/Lewer

Karen-W

Smith/McPike seem unlikely to be able to get Junior Worlds tech minimums based on their performance at Boston Open.

On USFS' international assignments list, they plan to send skaters to Challenge Cup, which has a junior pairs portion. Unfortunately, Bavarian Open is not an option this year since it's the same week as US Nationals. I imagine that USFS will be sending teams like Park/Griffin, Zheng/Deng, and/or Fletcher/Felberbaum. Currently, Zheng/Deng and Fletcher/Felberbaum are listed on the ISP, though Jenni Meno has posted that Park/Griffin were added to the ISP, though they're not listed yet.

Those 3 teams are capable of getting tech minimums on a good day. Park/Griffin's scores at US Pairs Final would've been enough, Zheng/Deng's scores at their first domestic comp of the season would have been enough, and Fletcher/Felberbaum have domestically scored a high enough TES at different comps in the separate segments.

Whichever team places highest at Challenge Cup and gets the tech minimums should earn the third Junior Worlds spot alongside Flores/Wang and Williams/Lewer
Challenge Cup is too late for JWC. TES mins have to be achieved at least 21 days prior to ISU Championships. So, either Smith/McPike achieve them at the WYOG or we only send two teams.

love skating

Clueless American
Here is my count:
Canada (all 4 events)
USA (all 4 events)
I know the last time they did a mixed team event so entries from different countries made up each team. I don't know how they got picked for each team though.

Karen-W

I know the last time they did a mixed team event so entries from different countries made up each team. I don't know how they got picked for each team though.
They're not doing the mixed team this time around. They want the team event to mirror the one at the Olympics.

Colonel Green

Annoyingly, Canada would have been able to field a clear top three team at the two previous Youth Olympics if they had had one, but now they bring it in for an Olympics where we don't have any really standout entries. :wall:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
It's so funny to me that there's a Youth Olympic Games, when the participants in the actual Olympic games aren't exactly ancient. :D But I hope all the young'uns enjoy themselves. And it's always cool to watch the baby dance teams compete with each other.

Karen-W

Here is my count:
Canada (all 4 events)
USA (all 4 events)
Georgia doesn't have a pairs team that is age-eligible.

Karen-W

Does anyone know the potential couples for the pair event?
Gosh, a 2-page long thread with the answer to this question on page 1...

I was able to find only one age-eligible pair :eek:
Peyton BELLAMY-MARTINS / Kryshtof PRADEAUX AUS

If they don't find any more, will they cancel the pairs competition?

Word in the US Pairs thread is that we have a new junior team debuting at Boston Open next week who are age-eligible - Cayla SMITH / Jared MCPIKE.

Also, looking at ISU bios and some of the JGP substitutes who didn't compete -

CAN - Annika BEHNKE / Kole SAUVE - http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00117815.htm
ESP - Carolina Shan CAMPILLO / Pau VILELLA - http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00117571.htm

So, theoretically, there are at least 4 age-eligible junior teams out there competing.

dancing_on_ice

In junior dance, I've counted 11 potential entries so far: Canada (2), Czechia, Korea, USA, France, Britain, Germany, Ukraine, Switzerland, China.

The next countries in the list for the final spot would be Italy, Georgia, Poland, and Belgium. I don't believe that Italy, Georgia, or Poland have any age eligible ice dance teams. Belgium has an age eligible team, though the girl in the team was born in Russia, so she may have citizenship issues. Assuming she has Belgian citizenship, would that team then be the last team on the list?

I do hope I'm wrong and that Georgia actually does have an age eligible ice dance team, because then they would be an additional team in the team event, which would make for 7 teams.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
In junior dance, I've counted 11 potential entries so far: Canada (2), Czechia, Korea, USA, France, Britain, Germany, Ukraine, Switzerland, China.

The next countries in the list for the final spot would be Italy, Georgia, Poland, and Belgium. I don't believe that Italy, Georgia, or Poland have any age eligible ice dance teams. Belgium has an age eligible team, though the girl in the team was born in Russia, so she may have citizenship issues. Assuming she has Belgian citizenship, would that team then be the last team on the list?

I do hope I'm wrong and that Georgia actually does have an age eligible ice dance team, because then they would be an additional team in the team event, which would make for 7 teams.

I think CZE has (at least) 2 age eligible teams - Psurna / Novak (competed in JGP) and Kristyna Stanclova / Karel Kostron (http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00118710.htm) (thanks @coralline for the info!)

ETA: And this team too: Klara Vlckova / Tomas Vlcek http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00117940.htm

Last edited:

shirleyfryeburg

I think I missed Ukraine previously.
Canada (all 4 events)
USA (all 4 events)
China (Men,Women, Dance)
Ukraine (Men, Women, Dance)
we have 7 teams for team events.

Karen-W

Australian team confirmed -

Women - Sienna Kaczmarczyk
Pairs - Peyton Bellamy-Martins/Kryshtof Pradeaux

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Skate Canada announcement: https://skatecanada.ca/2023/12/eigh...nadas-gangwon-2024-winter-youth-olympic-team/
The Team Canada figure skating team for the Gangwon 2024 Winter Youth Olympic Games is:

Ice Dance
Audra Gans (Prévost, Que.) and Michael Boutsan (Prévost, Que.)
Caroline Kravets (Kitchener, Ont.) and Jacob Stark (Kitchener, Ont.)

Men’s Singles
David Li (Richmond, B.C.)

Pairs
Annika Behnke (Peace River, Alta.) and Kole Sauve (Grand Prairie, Alta.)

Women’s Singles
Kaiya Ruiter (Calgary, Alta.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information