2018-19 Programs and Choreographers

Amantide

Lisa looking in great form. I love her attitude. :respec:
Pity for those arms though. I wonder if anyone has bothered to fix that.

Rock2

So, refresh my drink. (This may have been covered but not as far as I scrolled back)

These 'test/open' skates are mostly for the federation to review programs and progress....yet there look to be like 5,000 people who just sort of showed up to watch??

That's some serious fanboy behavior in RUS...unless these skates mean more than I'm aware.

DobrinFan

So, refresh my drink. (This may have been covered but not as far as I scrolled back)

These 'test/open' skates are mostly for the federation to review programs and progress....yet there look to be like 5,000 people who just sort of showed up to watch??

That's some serious fanboy behavior in RUS...unless these skates mean more than I'm aware.

It's to show their programs to the fans and to get feedback from the judges. Tickets are sold to the public.

lauravvv

See DobrinFan's post. The reason why the open test skates are called "open" is that they are open to the public. In previous years both the SP/SD and FS/FD test skate were open with closed test skates (in which usually a smaller number of skaters took part) taking place already earlier. This time the SP/RD test skates were closed with mostly only officials present, but the FS/FD test skates were open.

CoolGuy

I cannot stand Kolyada's music cuts in the last minute of his program because it sounds like a broken record... if they had a Zayak rule for repeating the same section of music more than once, then the last minute would be in clear violation of this. It also doesn't help that the cut at the 2:57 mark is completely and totally wrong. It should go like this, because that's how it is in the actual opera. Granted, not every music cut will line up with the original composition (hence the term: music cut), but Kolyada's last minute just sounds awkward. Other than that, I will say Kolyada's choreography is quite nice IMO.

Last edited:

Rock2

See DobrinFan's post. The reason why the open test skates are called "open" is that they are open to the public. In previous years both the SP/SD and FS/FD test skate were open with closed test skates (in which usually a smaller number of skaters took part) taking place already earlier. This time the SP/RD test skates were closed with mostly only officials present, but the FS/FD test skates were open.

thank you. I didn't scroll back far enough to catch that.

Still my main (!!!!) point was the number of people in the stands....FOR TEST SKATES

Ka3sha

Still my main (!!!!) point was the number of people in the stands....FOR TEST SKATES
Yes, Megasport arena was almost full from the beginning on the event, even for ice dance :)

Usually, it works the other way around. All figure skaters who are on the main and reserve teams should attend closed test skates. For example, this year Maxim Kovtun, Zahorski/Guerreiro and Skoptsova/Alyoshin (all struggling with injuries) were in Novogorsk for the closed part of the test skates, but didn’t skate their RD/SP and FD/LP at the weekend.

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
It looks like the USFSA has updated the bios of Team USA, and there's updated music info there:

Jason Brown -
SP Music: "Love is a B****” by Two Feet
FS Music: “Old Friends/Bookends/Hazy Shade of Winter” by Simon and Garfunkel

Karen Chen -
SP Music: "Fire Dance" by Jennifer Thomas
FS Music: "Illumination" by Secret Garden

Chock/Bates
RD Music: TBD
FD Music: "Fever" by Elvis Presley and Michael Buble, "Burning Love" by Elvis Presley

Gracie Gold:
SP Music: "I Put a Spell On You” by Annie Lennox
FS Music: “She Used to be Mine” by Sarah Bareilles

Hawayek/Baker
SD Music: “Vuelvo Al Sur” by Juan Carlos Cecares; A Los Amigos by Forever Tango
FD Music: “In This Shirt” by The Irrepressibles

Bradie Tennell:
SP Music: "Rebirth” by Hi-Finesse
FS Music: "Romeo and Juliet Medley" by Prokofiev

Vincent Zhou:
SP Music: "Exogenesis Symphony Part III” by Muse
FS Music: Music from Moulin Rouge! by various artists

Debbie S

It looks like the USFSA has updated the bios of Team USA, and there's updated music info there:
Where are the bios now? I clicked on the names listed on the Team USA/envelopes page but I just get either a dead page or the main Team USA page.

ETA: I see them now.

Last edited:

Dobre

Vincent Zhou:

Vincent's ISU bio is up, and it says his FS is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.
http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00034362.htm
(Guess we'll find out for sure this weekend).

More Junior Dance Programs
Gunter & Wein: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00101013.htm
Makita & Gunara: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00106004.htm
Ivanenko & Karpov: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054785.htm

Last edited:

peibeck

Simply looking

Chock/Bates
FD Music: "Fever" by Elvis Presley and Michael Buble, "Burning Love" by Elvis Presley

:fragile: This puts death in my soul.

Gracie Gold:

:swoon: This song is so beautiful and I'm sure feels very personal to Gracie. Love this choice. No words can say how much I would love to see her do a great performance of this piece; I think it would move everyone to the point of tears.

@AngieNikodinovLove Mariah Bell's SP is to Celine Dion's "To Love You More," which I seem to recall was one of Angela Nikodov's exhibition/show programs.

Why, God, oh why is Courtney Hicks skating to "The Nutcracker?" ((( @IceAlisa )))

Quick thoughts on a few of the Russian test skates: (thanks also to everyone who provided links as well :respec: )

Medvedeva's Canukistani transition is complete with a jazzy SP to "Orange Colored Sky?" :blah: How 70's drag show can you get, David Wilson. Just.... no. The FS has potential, though do we really need people doing tangos when the rhythm dance is tango? No. :shuffle:

Stepanova/Bukin FD seem to be being patterned after something Hubbell/Donahue might do, but since they lack that level of sensual spark between them (at least while skating), it comes off as a fail. Why can't their coaches/choreographers find some decent free dance music for this team? :wuzrobbed

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
In spite of my multidecade Simon and Garfunkel fandom, I have some concerns about the song choices for Jason. "Old Friends/Bookends" is a very melancholy song, and I'm not sure how the big trick jumps will fit into it (especially if the program starts with those songs and Jason attempts a quad). And "Hazy Shade of Winter" is a song about failure. I'm never sure it's good to compete with a song about failure, but it seems especially dubious in a career relaunch season.

Happily, I'm often wrong about these sorts of things, but I'm curious to see how the chorography is going to work with these song choices.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

Jason Brown -
SP Music: "Love is a B****” by Two Feet
FS Music: “Old Friends/Bookends/Hazy Shade of Winter” by Simon and Garfunkel

Karen Chen -
SP Music: "Fire Dance" by Jennifer Thomas
FS Music: "Illumination" by Secret Garden

Chock/Bates
RD Music: TBD

Gracie Gold:
SP Music: "I Put a Spell On You” by Annie Lennox

Hawayek/Baker
SD Music: “Vuelvo Al Sur” by Juan Carlos Cecares; A Los Amigos by Forever Tango
FD Music: “In This Shirt” by The Irrepressibles

Bradie Tennell:
SP Music: "Rebirth” by Hi-Finesse
FS Music: "Romeo and Juliet Medley" by Prokofiev

Vincent Zhou:

Gracie is also on the "I put a spell on you" bus?

Vincent is also doing two major war horses??? For real's ? Exogenesis and more MR?.??

lauravvv

Usually, it works the other way around. All figure skaters who are on the main and reserve teams should attend closed test skates. For example, this year Maxim Kovtun, Zahorski/Guerreiro and Skoptsova/Alyoshin (all struggling with injuries) were in Novogorsk for the closed part of the test skates, but didn’t skate their RD/SP and FD/LP at the weekend.
Thank you for the correction, Ka3sha. I had forgotten about that.

:fragile: This puts death in my soul.
Medvedeva's Canukistani transition is complete with a jazzy SP to "Orange Colored Sky?" :blah: How 70's drag show can you get, David Wilson. Just.... no.
It's so obvious how much you hate classical jazz music, rock&roll etc.😆 "70's drag show"? Really? What has jazz to do with it? It (jazz) was not created/invented in the 70's. Who cares about your personal associations.

Last edited:

Marco

Zagitova's music cuts for both programs are horrible.

Medvedeva's jumps have somewhat improved but still some way to go with the axel and lutz. The 3 jump combo did have more distance and flow which is nice. I don't know what to make of the programs yet. She clearly isn't comfortable yet.

Tuktamysheva's long program is less generic than her normal ones and the jumps look good, but unless they are bigger and entered with more speed, I can't see +3s and +4s even if landed cleanly.

lauravvv

Medvedeva's jumps have somewhat improved but still some way to go with the axel and lutz. The 3 jump combo did have more distance and flow which is nice. I don't know what to make of the programs yet. She clearly isn't comfortable yet.
She seemed comfortable in the SP performance wise to me. She has had several exhibition programs with a lighter, fun and even flirty mood, so that should not be a problem. The steps may still take some getting used to.

As for the FS, I also don't think that the program itself is a problem, it's more that the pressure of being back in Russia and in front of such a huge crowd for a first time in months got to her in more ways than one. She spoke about it herself after the skate. Not only she made mistakes on jumps which she apparently is not making in practice, she also forgot a part of the choreography and had to improvise. So no wonder that the FS did not look ready and quite comfortable for her. Orser also told that the choreo for it is not even complete yet.

Last edited:

yossalu

I would assume Vincent is just keeping his long program from last year.
As noted above, this is likely (hopefully) a mistake. ISU bio says:
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (soundtrack) by Tan Dun
Rising Sun by Kiyoshi Yoshida

I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed. I really fear that TPTB are making someone return to an old Moulin Rouge program yet again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information