Collegiate Skating

J's mom

Hello - My son is applying to college soon and is interested in understanding which schools have committed freestyle skating teams/clubs (by that I mean a fairly large and committed group of skaters that have good access to ice time and to coaches). He's a strong student academically, loves to skate and competes at the intermediate/novice level (although this is his first real year competing due to injuries and the fact that he loves to skate, but doesn't necessarily love competing!). He has all of his doubles and his triple sal. He isn't interested in synchro, just freestyle. From my cursory research, it seems Boston University and University of Delaware have very committed teams. Any other ideas of schools for him to look into? Thank you!!

Sylvia

TBD
Welcome to FSU! :) Check out this thread from last year in the Moves in the Field subforum:

Copying over some links I posted in that thread:
Some useful links for starters:

List of Intercollegiate Competitions (most recent season):

USFS' Collegiate Skating IG account: https://www.instagram.com/uscollegiateskating/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I'm bumping up this thread from last year to post about the National Intercollegiate Final for university teams that took place on April 14-15, 2023 in Anaheim, California - medalists were Boston University (7th title), University of Delaware & New York University:

Results (6.0/ordinal system): https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/nonqual_results/2023/32002/index.html

Notable results of past national and/or international skaters include:
Rena Ikenishi (NYU): 1st in both the Senior Women Championship Free Skate and Senior SP group A
Audrey Lu (UCLA): 2nd in Senior Women Championship Free Skate
Senior Men Championship Free Skate (top 4 of 6): Nick Hsieh (Cornell), Philip Baker (BU), Lucas Altieri (BU), Goku Endo (UCLA)
Emmanuel Savary (UDel) won Senior Men SP.
Senior Solo Free Dance Group B top 2: Caroline Mura (NYU), GBR's Sasha Fear (Dartmouth)
Junior Solo Free Dance top 2: David Shapiro (UDel), Karen Chen (Cornell)

Article before the competition that focused on the Boston University team (April 12), including former junior national & international pair skater Grace Knoop:

ETA the 16 teams that qualified for this season's Final: https://www.instagram.com/p/CqTeaIxPsRg/

Northeast 1-4:
Boston University
New York University
Cornell University
Dartmouth College

Southeast 1-4:
University of Delaware
Liberty University
Pennsylvania State University
University of South Florida

Midwest 1-4:
Trine University
Adrian College
Ohio State University
University of Michigan

Pacific Coast 1-4:
University of Denver
University of California, Berkeley
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, San Diego

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
The OP (post #1) never came back to FSU - hope her son was successful in finding a college where he could continue to skate!

Cornell Daily Sun article (May 1):
Karen Chen won a silver medal for her team but was not mentioned by name in the article.

If anyone lives near Ithaca, NY, the Cornell figure skating team posted "Come to Lynah Rink on Monday, May 8th to see CUFSC brings the best of Broadway to the ice❤️": https://www.instagram.com/p/CrgitUBr0DP/

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The student newspaper at Western University (a/k/a University of Western Ontario) has a video interview with Evelyn Walsh about her participation in Western's varsity figure skating team.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Thanks, I also posted the link to Evelyn's video (worth watching, IMO) in the Canadian Pairs news thread.

Speaking of pair skaters, freshman Audrey Lu was part of UCLA's 1st place High Team Maneuvers segment with 2023 U.S. senior national men's competitor Goku Endo: https://www.instagram.com/p/CrH4yV6rYVg/
UCLA hosted the National Intercollegiate Final in Anaheim, CA last month - team photo: https://www.instagram.com/p/CrH4yV6rYVg/

ETA:

Daily (UCLA) Bruin article that was published on April 23)

Last edited:

carriecmu0503

Hello - My son is applying to college soon and is interested in understanding which schools have committed freestyle skating teams/clubs (by that I mean a fairly large and committed group of skaters that have good access to ice time and to coaches). He's a strong student academically, loves to skate and competes at the intermediate/novice level (although this is his first real year competing due to injuries and the fact that he loves to skate, but doesn't necessarily love competing!). He has all of his doubles and his triple sal. He isn't interested in synchro, just freestyle. From my cursory research, it seems Boston University and University of Delaware have very committed teams. Any other ideas of schools for him to look into? Thank you!!
Trine and Adrian, the top two universities from the Midwest section, both have freestyle skating as a fully funded varsity sport. The University literally pays for everything; ice time, coaching, equipment, travel, etc..

Sylvia

TBD
The OP (post #1) never came back to FSU - hope her son was successful in finding a college where he could continue to skate!
If anyone lives near Ithaca, NY, the Cornell figure skating team posted "Come to Lynah Rink on Monday, May 8th to see CUFSC brings the best of Broadway to the ice❤️": https://www.instagram.com/p/CrgitUBr0DP/
Karen Chen shared this short video ("first @cornellfigureskating show! 💗 my heart is soooo full 🥹"): https://www.instagram.com/reel/CsB_O8PLGjk/

ETA link to photos from a group number choreographed by Karen for the show: https://www.instagram.com/p/CsJ6JbzxxWJ/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Article on the Dartmouth team that placed 5th at the Intercollegiate Team Final in Anaheim last month (included GBR's Sasha Fear and the "other" Nathaniel Chen ;) who placed well in solo dance events):

Fan Zone article by the University of South Florida's Maria Gruszczynski, one of USFS' collegiate ambassadors, on her experience of competing in the Final:

ETA:
Trine and Adrian, the top two universities from the Midwest section, both have freestyle skating as a fully funded varsity sport. The University literally pays for everything; ice time, coaching, equipment, travel, etc..
Nice! Especially after reading this article published in the University of Florida's campus news website (April 20):
Since it is considered a club sport and not a Division I team, USF’s sports club counsel only pitches $20,000 toward their funding each season.
This can be a struggle for the competitive team since most of the money does not cover uniforms and skates, facility amenities or coaching and training staff, according to Elledge.
Uniforms can go for around $600 while skates can be up to $1,000, along with renting out ice time for the team which is $345 per hour.
Elledge said if they want extra material for their team, it needs to come from themselves.
More so, Elledge said USF is cracking down on what school funded money can be used on. This makes it difficult for the club since they rely on those funds for registration fees and skating time.
“All of our competitions are far away and not driveable, unlike other club sports where they’re competing with Florida teams,” Elledge said. “That’s where we get excluded almost and it feels like we’re not accommodated as we would be in the upcoming season.”
Despite having minimal funding for their program, Lutz said they have managed to budget it well. They even hosted their own figure skating competition this season called the South Florida Sunshine Classic.
Pioneering the first intercollegiate figure skating club in Florida has drawn attention from other schools in the Southeast Region to start their own programs, like Florida Atlantic University, where Lutz transferred from, and Georgia Tech.
Not only does this benefit future intercollegiate figure skating teams to compete against each other, Lutz said it is a great attraction for USF to get skaters to join the school.
UCLA's Audrey Lu and collegiate skaters from other universities also were fundraising to cover respective team expenses for competing at the Intercollegiate Team Final in Anaheim.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
"A member of Team USA through 2021, Pooja Kalyan continues to be involved in the sport in a variety of ways. A neuroscience major, the 2018 U.S. junior silver medalist now skates for Brown University's collegiate team. She also is making an impact as a volunteer, serving on the AAC and DEI task force for U.S. Figure Skating as well as officiating."
Collegiate skating is quite different from when I was competing individually, in that the environment is very team-oriented. Rather than training mostly for myself, as I had for the majority of my time skating, collegiate skating fosters an extremely supportive and collaborative community between skaters of all levels. Since I came to Brown in 2021, we have been working on growing our competitive figure skating team and are planning to compete at numerous collegiate competitions on the east coast this coming season. When I became co-captain last year, I wanted to dedicate time for Learn to Skate sessions so that skaters with little to no experience could develop their skills, and eventually start competing. It's been amazing to see some of our Learn to Skate members commit to practicing regularly and progress from no experience to learning singles and basic spins. Overall, I'm grateful for the friends I've made through Brown's Figure Skating Club, and I can't wait to continue growing our team and competing at intercollegiate competitions this season!

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the U.S. Men's news thread:
IIRC, Emmanuel [Savary] made an allusion not too long ago on Instagram that he will compete at U.S. Collegiates (scheduled for Aug 3 - 4 in San Jose). Which I think will be his first time at Collegiates? 👏
At 2023 National Intercollegiate Final, Emmanuel contributed to U Delaware's second-place finish in overall team standings. He won Senior Men SP, plus I think Emmanuel, Peter Liu, and David Shapiro joined forces with a couple of other skaters for U Delaware's second-place finish in the High Team Maneuvers segment.
Yes, I believe this would be Savary's first time competing at the Collegiate Championships (scroll up to post #3 for info re. the National Intercollegiate [Team] Final that was held back in April).

On June 11, USFS published a Spotlight article on "reigning silver medalist in the men's senior event Goku Endo [who] recalls his experience competing last year, why he loves collegiate skating and what he’s looking forward to at the event this year."

Sylvia

TBD
Polina Edmunds' latest podcast episode (June 13, 2023):
Are you an incoming freshman or current college student thinking about joining Collegiate Skating? I sit down with Collegiate National Champion Ava Stephens to chat through all the info: everything from how to join, what to expect, the benefits of joining, how it differs from your normal (individual) competitive skating, levels and events you can compete in, the lowdown on what training and competitions look like, the system you compete under, leadership and philanthropy opportunities, and all the reasons why you should consider collegiate skating if you haven't already! :)
Ava Stephens (a longtime skating acquaintance of Polina's who's also from San Jose, CA) qualified for 2018 U.S. Nationals (7th in Intermediate) and this past April won the Excel Senior Women Free Skate event at the National Intercollegiate Finals for Penn State University (link to her team's IG post): https://www.instagram.com/p/CrEzc8zvJGT/

carriecmu0503

Polina Edmunds' latest podcast episode (June 13, 2023):

Ava Stephens (a longtime skating acquaintance of Polina's who's also from San Jose, CA) qualified for 2018 U.S. Nationals (7th in Intermediate) and this past April won the Excel Senior Women Free Skate event at the National Intercollegiate Finals for Penn State University (link to her team's IG post): https://www.instagram.com/p/CrEzc8zvJGT/
It seems like the description of the podcast is really misleading. It seems the guest is a National Intercollegiate Final champion, not a Collegiate national champion. Collegiate Nationals is a totally different event from the National Intercollegiate Finals. I hope the podcast description is corrected.

Sylvia

TBD
Artilce on Ava Stephens, a second-year computer science major, in Penn State's student blog (Oct. 17):
https://onwardstate.com/2023/10/17/...tiktok-star-penn-states-newest-triple-threat/
Excerpts:
“My two big factors in choosing a school [were] a good engineering program and a good skating program, which I knew Penn State had both of those,” Stephens said.
Here at Penn State, Stephens is involved in both the club and competitive figure skating teams. There are typically three competitions a year, and she skates both her short and long programs at the senior, or highest, level.
While skating is a very individual sport, Stephens highlighted the newfound aspect of being on a team and everything this has meant to her as an athlete and a person.
“This year, being with the team, like having a group of girls that are always supporting me no matter what has been so rewarding,” Stephens said. “Being able to travel to competitions with everyone and cheer them on in the stands, and then have them cheer me on as well has been so exciting.”
Her current short program to the song “Paint It, Black” has been very successful for her and allows Stephens to step out of her comfort zone. This will be her second year skating the routine, and she also hopes to add a triple lutz to her program repertoire.
Following a long offseason of training, Stephens and the team are ready to kick off the competition season this November in Florida. They will have two more competitions after that, hopefully followed by an appearance in the national championships.
As if skating doesn’t keep her busy enough, she finds time to be heavily involved in the Women in Engineering Program, Association of Women in Computing, and gives local lessons at Pegula Ice Arena.
In the future, Stephens hopes to secure a job in the computer science industry and potentially still coach and compete for as long as her body allows her to. Whether that be through choreography or ice dance, she doesn’t see herself ever being able to fully step away from the sport that has brought her so much joy.
“I want skating to be a part of my life forever. I’ve done it for so long, and I just can’t imagine my life without skating,” Stephens said.
"Get to know Audrey Lu, Ian Kang and Megan Westphal — the new collegiate ambassadors for the 2023-24 season. These ambassadors are current college students who will serve in a leadership position and work closely with U.S. Figure Skating staff and committees to promote and grow collegiate skating in the U.S." (Oct. 30):

ETA:

Here's Boston University's Figure Skating Club's post congratulating the 4 Senior level skaters who competed at the Eastern Sectional Singles Final this past week - Will Annis (gold), Lucas Altieri (bronze), Philip Baker (5th) and Lily Rauh (9th): https://www.instagram.com/p/CzR7ObBr159/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Bumping this up for those interested in checking out USFS' Intercollegiate Team competition season that started in November 2023 and will conclude with the 2024 National Intercollegiate Final to be held in Lake Placid, NY, April 12 (Friday) to 14 (Sunday) - 2023-24 Schedule & Results:

USFS' Collegiate Skating info page:

YukiNieve

Bumping this up for those interested in checking out USFS' Intercollegiate Team competition season that started in November 2023 and will conclude with the 2024 National Intercollegiate Final to be held in Lake Placid, NY, April 12 (Friday) to 14 (Sunday) - 2023-24 Schedule & Results:

USFS' Collegiate Skating info page:

Thanks, Sylvia.

Michael Xie seems to have had lots of fun with his UCLA team members for his first intercollegiate comps. 😊

Sylvia

TBD
UCLA's Goku Endo, with all 3 first place ordinals, edged UC Berkeley's Michael Xie (his first intercollegiate comp.) in the Senior Men Championship Free Skate and Kevin Shum (graduate school at Univ. of Washington) won the Junior Men Championship Free Skate (4 competitors) in this past weekend's City of Angels comp. hosted by UCLA: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/nonqual_results/2024/33785/index.html

ETA that I didn't see @YukiNieve's post above until after I had posted. :)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Thanks, Sylvia.

Michael Xie seems to have had lots of fun with his UCLA team members for his first intercollegiate comps. 😊
Minor correction - Xie is at Berkeley. UCLA hosted this comp but Michael competed for UC Berkeley.

Sylvia

TBD
2024 Blue Hen Ice Classic took place at the Univ. of Delaware this past weekend: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/nonqual_results/2024/33817/index.html

101 Senior Women Short Program top 4 (first results link above):
1. Emily Zhang, University of PA 1 1 1 1 1 5/1 http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00104726.htm
2. Mia Eckels, University of DE 2 2 2 4 2 4/2 [qualified for 2020 Nationals in Junior]
3. Ava Stephens, Penn State University 3 4 3 8 3 3/3
4. Ella Chen, University of MD CP [also ISR] 4 3 4 7 5 3/4

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Is there way to watch the National Collegiate Final online?
I'd really like to watch it.
I called the figure skating office in Lake Placid today - no livestreaming :( (due to music copyright issues, sigh) but it is FREE admission for anyone interested who lives in the area.

USFS' press release today (April 9, 2024):

Lake Placid Olympic Center's event page: https://lakeplacidolympiccenter.com/event/us-figure-skating-national-intercollegiate-final/

U.S. Collegiate Skating Instagram account (should be sharing the various teams' Insta story clips of the action this weekend): https://www.instagram.com/uscollegiateskating/
Karen Chen (Cornell), Audrey Lu and Goku Endo (UCLA), Emily Zhang (UPenn), I assume Sasha Fear (Dartmouth) and other international/national competitors are participating!

Last edited:

ice coverage

Cuteness alert: Next to U Delaware's "ready room" backstage at Lake Placid Olympic Center, the wall has a display of U Del mini-jersey decorations in team colors and with team logo, personalized with individual skater names.
From the Instastory photo+caption below, I am guessing that LP Olympic Center must have created a similar display for all sixteen teams? 🎉

YukiNieve

U.S. Collegiate Skating Instagram account (should be sharing the various teams' Insta story clips of the action this weekend): https://www.instagram.com/uscollegiateskating/
Karen Chen (Cornell), Audrey Lu and Goku Endo (UCLA), Emily Zhang (UPenn), I assume Sasha Fear (Dartmouth) and other international/national competitors are participating!
Jr solo free dance competitors include Lucas Altieri (Boston), Nicholas Hsieh (Cornell), David Shapiro (Delaware), Kevin Shum (Washington). :love:

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Cuteness alert: Next to U Delaware's "ready room" backstage at Lake Placid Olympic Center, the wall has a display of U Del mini-jersey decorations in team colors and with team logo, personalized with individual skater names.
From the Instastory photo+caption below, I am guessing that LP Olympic Center must have created a similar display for all sixteen teams? 🎉
Yes, MIT graduate Kevin Shum (competing in Championship Junior Men FS in Lake Placid) shared an Insta story of his University of Washington's team names on the Olympic Center wall :) - he's a Masters student in the Human Centered Design & Engineering department at UW. :respec:

Club Spotlight article on University of Washington's first collegiate team, founded last year by Ashley Wu:

Sylvia

TBD
Jr solo free dance competitors include Lucas Altieri (Boston), Nicholas Hsieh (Cornell), David Shapiro (Delaware), Kevin Shum (Washington). :love:
The Junior Solo Free Dance event was won by David Shapiro (4/1 - 4 1st place ordinals & 1 3rd place ordinal in the 6.0 results); 2nd-5th were Nicholas Hsieh 4/2, Lucas Altieri 3/4 (TOM 8), Kevin Shum 3/4 (TOM 10), Dartmouth's Nathaniel Chen 3/4 (TOM 8): https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/lea...ts/2024/33763/06 junior solo free dancec1.htm
Thanks to UDel FS for sharing his video :) - "This Bitter Earth" by Dinah Washington/"On the Nature of Daylight" by Max Richter: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5rNoRIR41q/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information