Figure Skating near Binghamton, NY?

bethy135

Our daughter has been accepted at SUNY Binghamton. We are from the West Coast and have never visited. She loves everything about the school on paper EXCEPT the skating opportunities in the area look very limited. She knows there is no collegiate team but is wondering about other opportunities close by. There is a Binghamton FSC but it sounds like they only skate through March.

She is a preliminary skater who is primarily interested in skating recreationally and to meet people. She does want to work on MITF.

We are headed out over Spring Break to visit a few schools in the area and are thinking lack of skating is probably a dealbreaker for visiting Bing. Are we missing something?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
We are headed out over Spring Break to visit a few schools in the area and are thinking lack of skating is probably a dealbreaker for visiting Bing. Are we missing something?

Is your daughter able to travel around the region, i.e. will she have a car or can she take transit? Her options may be different depending on how far she's willing or able to go.

Taso

Our daughter has been accepted at SUNY Binghamton. We are from the West Coast and have never visited. She loves everything about the school on paper EXCEPT the skating opportunities in the area look very limited. She knows there is no collegiate team but is wondering about other opportunities close by. There is a Binghamton FSC but it sounds like they only skate through March.

She is a preliminary skater who is primarily interested in skating recreationally and to meet people. She does want to work on MITF.

Not of anyplace closer than 2.5 hours from there myself. Also I find Binghamton is a really depressing city, IMO one of the most depressing of any on the entire East Coast. You're probably sparing her a first college transfer - I'm assuming the school has a program she's really interested in?

bethy135

Is your daughter able to travel around the region, i.e. will she have a car or can she take transit? Her options may be different depending on how far she's willing or able to go.
Yes, she could bring her car if needed - we are considering that at a couple of schools that don't have a rink on campus.

bethy135

Not of anyplace closer than 2.5 hours from there myself. Also I find Binghamton is a really depressing city, IMO one of the most depressing of any on the entire East Coast. You're probably sparing her a first college transfer - I'm assuming the school has a program she's really interested in?
Yeah . . . that has been my gut all this time. I've just been second guessing myself lately as her decision time draws nearer. Students who go to Bing seem to really, really, REALLY like it. But lately I'm thinking maybe that could partially be because it's relatively such an incredible value to in state students. The academics seem to match our daughter really well and it seems like a nice size for her. And she has some good friends who are planning to land in upstate NY or nearby and that is comforting to her.

Still, can't imagine sending her all the way cross country to a depressing town. Especially since she has options that are much better located.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information