2024 Canadian Championships Sr Pairs FS - When it's so cold outside, the ice inside is extra hard

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Results after the first of three groups:
1 Caidence Derenisky / Raine Eberl SK 44.06 (7) 88.47 (1) 132.53
2 Summer Homick / Marty Haubrich ON 43.78 (8) 86.62 (2) 130.40
3 Ashlyn Schmitz / Tristan Taylor SK 42.78 (9) 77.82 (3) 120.60

Ice resurfacing underway.

honey

I think it would have been much better attended in Halifax or Saint John, or Moncton or Fredericton.
Dunno if that is necessarily true or not. Moncton and Halifax both had poorly attended nationals in recent memory when the likes of Chan and Virtue/Moir were skating. No where near as poorly attended as this (and much bigger venues), but comments were made at those events about the lack of attendance.

skategal

Bunny mama
Dunno if that is necessarily true or not. Moncton and Halifax both had poorly attended nationals in recent memory when the likes of Chan and Virtue/Moir were skating. No where near as poorly attended as this (and much bigger venues), but comments were made at those events about the lack of attendance.
I didn’t go to Moncton but I’ve been to all the Halifax Nationals and the only time I remember attendance being low was during the week day (work hours) which is understandable.

The evening and weekend sessions were quite full.

JoannaLouise

Official Toaster Oven Monitor
They should come to Kitchener-Waterloo, we haven't had an event here in ages! I would give them all my money. :lol:

There's The Aud in Kitchener that I think has around 7000 seats, or the Memorial Recreation Complex in Waterloo that has 3400 seats if they want something smaller.

Skate Canada, are you reading this?? Please do it!

skategal

Bunny mama
They should come to Kitchener-Waterloo, we haven't had an event here in ages! I would give them all my money. :lol:

There's The Aud in Kitchener that I think has around 7000 seats, or the Memorial Recreation Complex in Waterloo that has 3400 seats if they want something smaller.

I remember London Ontario being packed the year I went there even though there was a blizzard. :lol:

Former Lurve Goddess

The 2001/2 GPF was in Kitchener and it was packed!

honey

I didn’t go to Moncton but I’ve been to all the Halifax Nationals and the only time I remember attendance being low was during the week day (work hours) which is understandable.

The evening and weekend sessions were quite full.

I don’t know if I’d call this “quite full”. This was well into the evening on a Friday night.

https://youtu.be/Wdx7EnSaHjI?si=yo18R6vBbC8GlHac

Next to this event it looks like a packed house lol, but very empty on the ends and the sides aren’t full. Attendance for the free skate was better, but all im saying is that this wasn’t exactly record attendance. And that was with several stars still skating. My only point is that I don’t necessarily think Halifax would have been a hugely attended event either.

To me, the only semi reliable location that could draw a reasonably sized audience right now for nationals is the GTA. And it might not matter this year with worlds in Montreal and so many choosing that instead. It would have been tough anywhere because of that and the lack of stars.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!

I was there for a Grand Prix Final many moons ago :)

pat c

Not to take things off track even more but I believe I heard/read that even curling is going to streaming only in Canada!!
Unfortunately, some sports are going or have become niche sports. The gpf event that I attended in Vancouver did ok, but it wasn't packed to the rafters. Japanese fans filled the rink in Kelowna when SC was there. Many reasons why arenas aren't being filled but the one thing that I think that is keeping people away it is the cost of travel. Whether it is money or aggravation, it's a lot easier to stay at home where the living is easy. ;)

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently

I think they went west because Worlds are in Montreal. Skate Canada always tries to balance events across the country, but maybe that needs to change. The biggest portion of the population is Southwestern Ontario, and Southern Quebec, and maybe the events need to be in those regions to ensure the largest possible population from which to draw an audience.

Former Lurve Goddess

I think they went west because Worlds are in Montreal. Skate Canada always tries to balance events across the country, but maybe that needs to change. The biggest portion of the population is Southwestern Ontario, and Southern Quebec, and maybe the events need to be in those regions to ensure the largest possible population from which to draw an audience.
I’m kind of surprised that Canadian Nats haven’t been held in Hamilton in ages.

skategal

Bunny mama
I don’t know if I’d call this “quite full”. This was well into the evening on a Friday night.

https://youtu.be/Wdx7EnSaHjI?si=yo18R6vBbC8GlHac

Next to this event it looks like a packed house lol, but very empty on the ends and the sides aren’t full. Attendance for the free skate was better, but all im saying is that this wasn’t exactly record attendance. And that was with several stars still skating. My only point is that I don’t necessarily think Halifax would have been a hugely attended event either.

To me, the only semi reliable location that could draw a reasonably sized audience right now for nationals is the GTA. And it might not matter this year with worlds in Montreal and so many choosing that instead. It would have been tough anywhere because of that and the lack of stars.
IIRC the ends are usually reserved for skaters and families so that would explain some of those empty seats.

Also the ScotiaBank centre has 11000
seats so I think they did a decent job selling tickets all things considered.

shan

I wonder what T-M/V's real tech score is. I was in and out and saw parts, but they seemed to do better than the last group.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I was quite enjoying that until the 2nd set of SBS jumps. It looked like she saw his botched takeoff and just stopped herself, then they kinda stared at each other for a sec before they moved on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information