UPDATES ON MY DREAM TO LEARN TO ICE-DANCE...WISH ME LUCK!!

FSWer

At this point everyone,I really feel like a misfit. Because,up till now I've been playing Phone-Tag with coaches,and the ONLY reason I go Skating (and,I don't know if you all know what an IP. Meeting is)...is because it's in mine. Although,I don't know how much my Skating is protected from the amount of Staffing. As the Staff in my Program have been cut,and it really makes me wonder if I'll ever learn to Ice-Dance. :(cry

FSWer

@FSWer it's very common to play phone tag, or email tag, with a coach. They are very busy people and many coaches work at more than one rink, so they might be travelling all over the place and don't always have time to answer messages right away.

Please look at @Clarice 's post. Newington has a great learn-to-skate program that is very flexible. Those classes would be great for you to work on your basic skills, if you can't get ice dance lessons with a coach right away. And @TheGirlCanSkate is right in saying that you might be able to meet a coach there that could give you private lessons, or a coach that could hook you up with another coach.

If you wait until you have a private coach to start your lessons, you might be waiting for a while. But if you are able to take the learn-to-skate classes at Newington, you could start skating much sooner. It wouldn't be ice-dance lessons, but as @Shyjosie says, the basic skills of skating are the same no matter what discipline you are doing. So you would be learning things that you could use in ice dancing.

That's were I took my first lessons back in 2007. What makes it hard is the Staff here just keep talking about how they don't have too much Staffing anymore. But I must admit to you all,that it really feels GREAT to be able to entrust you all with my real life.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer Newington has very convenient skating classes, much more flexible than other rinks. If skating is in your IP then why don't you ask the staff to take you to those classes until you can get a coach?

treesprite

Don't give up on your dream. Keep pressuring the manager at the agency to assign staff to you who can provide full support in the ways you need or want that support. I am a staff at an agency, and unfortunately know first hand that very few staff develop real partnerships with people or provide full support. I do whatever activities people want to do; we go on several out-of-state trips a year together, take them AND their friends for activities, do crafts, and just about anything want or need to do. Right now I am on a 4-day trip in the mountains with a person, who did not want to deal with other staff while I was on vacation, so we just went on a trip together and are having a great time.

Last edited:

Shyjosie

@FSWer Newington has very convenient skating classes, much more flexible than other rinks. If skating is in your IP then why don't you ask the staff to take you to those classes until you can get a coach?
@overedge has summed up everything that has been on my mind since you wrote about your troubles to connect with a coach, FSWer.
You wrote earlier that skating is in your IP and therefor has to be done - I understand that they (your case-worker, their co-workers, the staff in general) have to provide you with an opportunity to get into skating. Expenses and the availability of staff of whatever qualification are always an issue. But the group classes are not that expensive, they should be affordable.
Let me ask you a question: do your staff and especially the case-worker assigned to you know how much skating and ice dancing mean to you? Reading this thread I see how waiting is being prolongued, how you are getting frustrated and disappointed, as important people had once agreed to help you get started, and then quit. I can't help but feeling bitter reading all this, and my only advice is to make it absolutely clear to the one who is closest to you - your case-worker? - that it means a huge lot to you to go skating. It is in your IP, and whatever is in there should be taken care of!

Skittl1321

Don't give up on your dream. Keep pressuring the manager at the agency to assign staff to you who can provide full support in the ways you need or want that support. I am a staff at an agency, and unfortunately know first hand that very few staff develop real partnerships with people or provide full support. I do whatever activities people want to do; we go on several out-of-state trips a year together, take them AND their friends for activities, do crafts, and just about anything want or need to do. Right now I am on a 4-day trip in the mountains with a person, who did not want to deal with other staff while I was on vacation, so we just went on a trip together and are having a great time.

It certainly seems like his case workers are trying, but the coaches are flaking. He's been set up for two different coaches who have then become unavailable.

With limited budgets, private lessons can be very difficult to do. Private skating lessons are much more expensive than many other leisure/athletic activities.

FSWer- I highly recommend you consider doing more group classes. Your skating will get better, even if you feel like you've already completed them all. Ice dancing is not something you can do if your basic skating is not very strong. Working with an instructor in these classes will mean you are more ready for ice dancing when a coach is found. You don't want to use the time with your private coach working on things that are covered in group classes. It's just too expensive!

FSWer

My Staff,Case-Worker and I have talked,and we don't have much Staff these days. So I don't know if that would be an option. I also do better 1 on 1.

FSWer

Say,I was wondering if anyone here can tell me if my Case-Worker and I are doing everything right,as far looking for a coach,and making arrangments for lesson gos. We met this guy (Daniil) at Newington Arena,and he gave us a list of 3 coaches (Natasha (who I met with in person at a Public Skate). She says she doesn't teach Ice-Dancing. The next coach (Denis) I tried calling. But his Mailbox was full,and not excepting Messages,and Tatina (who my Case-Worker and Staff and I all agreed on) because she was the cheapest in price,was supposed to call me back after her vacation. But when I called her back,she said she's moving to Europe. So right no I'm stuck with still trying to find a coach. Is there any way you guys can help me find a coach there? Thanks.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer you are not stuck. You can go to the learn-to-skate classes at Newington while you are trying to find a coach. The instructors in those classes may be able to direct you to a coach, and you can work on your skills in those classes until you do find a coach.

If Natasha doesn't teach ice dancing, and you can't reach Denis, try contacting Natasha again to see if she can suggest another coach. Or contact the office at Newington, or the skating director at Newington, to see if they can suggest another coach.

But as everyone here has been saying - the basic skating you will need to be able to do ice dancing is something you can learn in learn-to-skate classes. And those classes are much cheaper than private lessons with a coach. If the cost of skating might be a problem for you, go to the learn-to-skate classes first.

TheGirlCanSkate

I would contact coaches on other rink webpages to see if they also coach at your rink. Be sure if you get one to day okay, to try to schedule a lesson within the week you call.

You have to act fast or they will move on to someone else.

FSWer

@FSWer you are not stuck. You can go to the learn-to-skate classes at Newington while you are trying to find a coach. The instructors in those classes may be able to direct you to a coach, and you can work on your skills in those classes until you do find a coach.

If Natasha doesn't teach ice dancing, and you can't reach Denis, try contacting Natasha again to see if she can suggest another coach. Or contact the office at Newington, or the skating director at Newington, to see if they can suggest another coach.

But as everyone here has been saying - the basic skating you will need to be able to do ice dancing is something you can learn in learn-to-skate classes. And those classes are much cheaper than private lessons with a coach. If the cost of skating might be a problem for you, go to the learn-to-skate classes first.

I don't think my Staff will let me do both.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer you wouldn't have to do both. You could take the learn to skate classes until you find a coach, and then you could work with the coach and not do the learn to skate classes.

treesprite

Would the rink let you watch a learn-to-skate class so you can really see if it could help you with basic skills until a private coach is found?

Some rinks let advanced skaters help out with group lessons as volunteers, so maybe you could ask at your rink, if they could set you up with a volunteer so you could have more attention while still in a group class.

FSWer

Hi again everyone!!! Nick just called me 2 days ago,a little after 11:00 pm.,and said he heard about my interest in taking Ice-Dancing Lessons. We talked, about a taday to meet, and how my Case-Worker would be bringing me down. So at this point,I an waiting for my Case-Worker to call me.

rjblue

Having a great day!
That's great news FSWer!

By the way, if you haven't already, you should make sure you have your coach's permission to use names on the internet and this forum. Most people just say my coach when they are talking about theirs.

FSWer

That's great news FSWer!

By the way, if you haven't already, you should make sure you have your coach's permission to use names on the internet and this forum. Most people just say my coach when they are talking about theirs.

LOL.,thanks for reminding me. His name was already used though. LOL. BTW. my Case-Worker just called and I gave her his number and e-mail. She is also going to send me my Staff's e-mail,so that I can send a copy of the info. to her too.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer, the coach's name was already used because you mentioned it. That doesn't mean using it is OK. I agree with @rjblue - unless you have asked and you know the person is fine with their name being posted, calling them "the coach" or "my coach" is better.

Clarice

It's okay to use your coach's name in a private message, but best not to do so on a public message board where anybody can read it.

I hope your first lesson happens soon! How exciting!

FSWer

Hi again everyone!!! Another update...well,I just found out my coach charges $75.00 an hr. I will more then likely be Sat's after 1:00, that I'll be taking my Lessons. My Case-Worker and I now just have to figure out how things will work,as far as my Staff bring me down and all. I will keep you ALL updated during the time of my Lessons. I can't WAIT to be an Ice-Dancer!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information