WJC24 Junior Men FS

skatingguy

decently
It's a completely facetious statement after the mini-meltdown a poster had during US Nationals over Tara not bringing up Richard Callaghan when Todd Eldredge was in the kiss and cry. ;)
I don't remember that - probably rolled my eyes, and moved on.

zigzig

Seo - cute and nice interpretation, was surprised he held on to first with the popped axel.

Nakata - thought he would be more dominant this season but seemed to lose a little steam over the past few competitions

Hagara - biggest bla fest in the world but props for consistency and good jumps. His program makes me think he's at a public session and Aerosmith just happened to come on the playlist. The PCS he's getting are purely for cleanliness and consistency.

Paradis feels crazily overscored.

Sanchez is the men's Sherry Z - talent and skills to vie for a medal but headcasey.

Loved Kuperman - wild and a hot mess but love the energy, attack and vibe.

Shout out to the Turkish guy who didn't qualify for the long and probably should have.

On My Own

I don't want to start a new thread for it, but does someone know why so many Korean skaters have a stalked entry into their 3A?

Sylvia

TBD
Yanhao Li had a beautiful program that pulled him way up, Anthony Paradis for the dramatic vibes, and both Haru Kakiuchi & Yu-Hsiang Li because they both looked like they were actually enjoying it ;)
Also Casper Johansson, who led off the 2nd group, had an (uncharacteristically?) effusive reaction after his FS in which he landed 4S< and all 7 triples. (I have a soft spot for him because I saw his JGP debut at 13 in person and he has grown massively taller in 4+ years!)

does someone know why so many Korean skaters have a stalked entry into their 3A?
FWIW, here's a recent discussion thread about it: https://x.com/yunas_larks/status/1740249151902986438

On My Own

FWIW, here's a recent discussion thread about it: https://x.com/yunas_larks/status/1740249151902986438
Coaching with poor basic technique might make some sense? But then many go to foreign coaches too...

Idk about the others but for Jun, he's said it's because he's going too fast and the long entry is so he can slow down and control his speed into the jump (paraphrasing) so I wonder if it's something similar? I'm sure they're working on it (at least I hope so)
This seems wrong?If you enter with more speed, you're more likely to do a better jump provided you can control that speed in (see Yan Han's 3A). So the problem is rather why can't Cha control a high speed axel.

Seems a strange issue with so many tbh. And unlike say recreational or low level skaters, you'd think they'd have more resources to fix it. Not all, but again many do go to foreign coaches. Maybe I'm underestimating how hard it is to fix the big tech jumps.

I'm kind of laughing at this fanwar with Sunghoon stans having found your eyes :lol: You really keep up with it all then :lol:

Sylvia

TBD
I'm kind of laughing at this fanwar with Sunghoon stans having found your eyes :lol: You really keep up with it all then :lol:
Nope, I just did a search for Korean men/3A and found that thread. ;) You might want to pose your original question in the Korean news thread in GSD?

bladesofgorey

Maybe I'm underestimating how hard it is to fix the big tech jumps.
Yep, you sure do!

Plus lots of skaters hate axel take-offs because not only does the forward take-off feel like jumping into an abyss, the timing has to be right or it can result in much nastier waxel falls than screwing up timing on any other jump. Waxels are usually from rushing the take-off edge and missing the toe pick/letting go of the check too early. Ugly, painful falls that can't be saved mid-air. Under stress/adrenaline it's almost always better for skaters who struggle with that axel timing to err on the side of caution and wait until the set-up feels completely secure than risk being off, even if it disrupts the program flow. Telegraphing axels for some skaters is always going to be the lesser of two evils.

On My Own

Yep, you sure do!

Plus lots of skaters hate axel take-offs because not only does the forward take-off feel like jumping into an abyss, the timing has to be right or it can result in much nastier waxel falls than screwing up timing on any other jump. Waxels are usually from rushing the take-off edge and missing the toe pick/letting go of the check too early. Ugly, painful falls that can't be saved mid-air. Under stress/adrenaline it's almost always better for skaters who struggle with that axel timing to err on the side of caution and wait until the set-up feels completely secure than risk being off, even if it disrupts the program flow. Telegraphing axels for some skaters is always going to be the lesser of two evils.
So you would say that many Korean skaters as a group were taught bad 3A technique and it is too difficult to fix it?

bladesofgorey

So you would say that many Korean skaters as a group were taught bad 3A technique and it is too difficult to fix it?
I'm not sure I agree with the premise of this question. Individual skaters from all countries sometimes stalk that entrance. It's possible that top coaches in Korea stress keeping up speed into the jump above all else more than some other coaches, but that's conjecture based on a question that might not even be legit?

On My Own

I'm not sure I agree with the premise of this question. Individual skaters from all countries sometimes stalk that entrance. It's possible that top coaches in Korea stress keeping up speed into the jump above all else more than some other coaches, but that's conjecture based on a question that might not even be legit?
Well I'll go back to my original question, why is it that so many Korean skaters seem to stalk the entrance to the 3A? It seems a strange problem for so many of them to have.

If it were just one or two of them, then maybe we can guess that they're too scared of the entrance. But it's too common of a problem among them, and not sure they're all scared of the entrance.

One of the answers on the tweet thread was poor basic coaching. Of course there's no way to tell for us.

bladesofgorey

Perhaps if you ask it a few more times in slightly different ways you'll get get the answer you are fishing for (which appears to be "yes, Korean coaches suck at teaching axels/whatever") but maybe ask it again in the Trash Can instead of cluttering the WJC thread?

On My Own

Perhaps if you ask it a few more times in slightly different ways you'll get get the answer you are fishing for (which appears to be "yes, Korean coaches suck at teaching axels/whatever")

Let me then change it up a bit:

Is there a reason why some of you North American ""skaters"" have such personal opinions about people you know nothing about?

Because frankly, with all the abuse allegations piling up on your sport at this point, I'd never want anyone in my family anywhere near any of you, before getting to your personalities.

Is that fine? Maybe learn how to tell an honest question from whatever the heck it is you believe.

As if I don't know full well what kind of opinions are written about Asian athletes and coaching in English forums for some ass to take this tone against me. But thanks, I'll make sure to not bother. You people are not worth it. Nor is your sport.

And try not to use your brain too much. You're bad at it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information