US Dept of Justice Alleges that China Targeted Critics in US, including Alysa Liu's Father

skatinggold

If Arthur was so concerned with her daughter’s safety why would he send her to Colorado where she is alone. No sane parent will do that.

Last edited:

Carolla5501

How would people know that a car belongs to a Russian (unless there are Russian flags on the vehicle or something like that)? With all the anti-Chinese rhetoric these past couple years or so, there was a rise in violence against Asians generally, because, ya know, Asians all look the same or we're all Chinese. But any anger directed at Russia is due to their violence against Ukraine. The chance to inadvertently hurt a Ukrainian person is high.
Actually if it is a embassy car you would know
If Arthur was so concerned with her daughter’s safety why would he send her to Colorado where she is alone. No sane parent will do that.

Oh we had to find a reason to make sure that her dad is evil anyway. Actually she was probably safer there than at home. But admittedly that fact would not contribute to the her dad is evil campaign 😂

After all a controlled access environment couldn’t possibly be safe.

love skating

Clueless American
I go to a small Chinese convenience store each week to buy lotto for my mom. They always have Chinese newspapers displayed there. I saw today on the front page of one of them was a huge pic of Alysa in her SP dress with an inset pic of her and her dad. I guess it made big news among the Chinese American press. I find the whole story quite unsettling and disturbing. I'm so glad that they are safe. I hope Alysa will go on to have a great and safe time at Worlds.

Sylvia

TBD
Alysa must still be getting many negative and/or clueless DMs, sigh: https://www.instagram.com/p/CbRAxv0J8GJ/
by the way, my “case” isn’t an invitation to be racist to me or any other chinese people. y’all actually need to distinguish chinese people with the government. my family and others were in harms way; i have all the right to speak up about it, especially since it was made public 😋🤞y’all should be able to understand that 🤷🏻‍♀️

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Because Colorado Springs is an area with rampant violence? I'm not sure you know Colorado Springs much at all.

I've never been there, but I would also imagine that the dormitories at the US Olympic Training Centre have security in place. It wouldn't be like living in a "regular" apartment building in a residential neighbourhood.

Allskate

On the USA broadcast of the short program, they said that Alysa's dad kept the information from her until after the Olympics. He knew about it and considered not letting her go to the Olympics, but he was assured that she would be safe and that someone always would be with her. But, I can see why she did not arrive earlier.

Andrea Joyce said that Alysa told her this week that she does not feel unsafe and is more angry. But, at a minimum, she must feel scared for her dad. She had tears in her eyes talking to Andrea after her short program. Andrea asked her why and she said she was relieved. But, I can't help but think that everything going on related to her dad is taking an emotional toll. It's really heartbreaking and infuriating.

I am so impressed with how Alysa has dealt with this. I think it's easy to think of her as a bubbly kid with joyous skates, but she's a mature 16 year-old dealing with pressures far beyond expectations and desires of doing well at the highest level of sports.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I would imagine there is an element of wondering "if I wasn't a prospective Olympic figure skater, would the Chinese government be targeting my dad like this?" Even as mature as I think she is for her age, it's hard not to separate yourself from wondering that and possibly blaming your love of figure skating for bringing that on. Must be tough on her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information