Trouble with Choctaw’s and unsure what to do..

almondjoy

Hi! So I think it would be a good idea for me to take ballet but would it help me with getting better choctaws in terms of turning out more and having better fluidity? Choctaws on junior are really killing me because I don’t have good edges with them but will ballet help me since turning out on the Choctaw is needed to get on the right edge? I do bend my knees with Choctaw’s but I still struggle to get on the right edge and I feel like it’s because my turnout is not great. Is there anything else that could maybe help with Choctaw’s too if anyone knows?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Ballet might help, but how much turnout you have also depends on your body. It's like being able to do the splits. Either your body has that much flexibility or it doesn't. If it doesn't, you can probably improve that flexibility, but you will never be able to do the splits as well as someone whose body is naturally more flexible.

Doing the choctaws well isn't just about turnout - that's a big part of it, but it's also about timing and the position of your upper body (which can affect your turnout).

I think you mentioned before that you were going to work with an ice dance coach. He or she would be the person to ask about how to improve your choctaws, and what techniques would work best for someone with your build or flexibility.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
I agree - ballet might help, but that would be a slow, gradual process. An ice dance coach might be able to help more quickly, with more focus on this particular move, your body position, etc. You might prioritize getting the ice dance coach, and then also do ballet if you would like to and have the interest and funds.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Everyone talks about knee bend but ankle flexion is key, particularly on choctaws. If you concentrate on bending at the ankle rather than the knee, you will be better able to have more precise and accurate foot placement.

AYS

🌻
Everyone talks about knee bend but ankle flexion is key, particularly on choctaws. If you concentrate on bending at the ankle rather than the knee, you will be better able to have more precise and accurate foot placement.
This.

Not that I'm good at them, but it's more about coordinating your ankle bend to get the foot in the right position with the body lean, as @overedge said, and you new dance coach will help with this.

IceSlider

Which choctaw are you having trouble with? If it's a blues choctaw this youtube video may help. Watch from around the 7min mark https://youtu.be/wlXOyddglpQ

I'd second the comments about timing and shoulder check. A cross check will help loads. It's also about confidence and edge quality of the back right outside edge you're moving onto. I know one skater who practices these on the hocky goal semi circle to get the timing of the edges and change right. May help?

The video is Jimmy Young who's a British Ice Dance coach teaching the Blues - Ice Dance Course at Garmisch-Partenkirchen in August 2012.

He's been coaching and Ice Dancing forever (and still is!), he was coaching ice dance at Streatham when I was a teen learning it there in the 70's. He's refernced in this article: https://www.ice-dance.com/site/gary-shortland/

Sound quality isn't the best but I think you'll be able to follow and he does make it look so easy!

Hope that helps and good luck with it! :)

antmanb

Which choctaw are you having trouble with? If it's a blues choctaw this youtube video may help. Watch from around the 7min mark https://youtu.be/wlXOyddglpQ

I went to an adult camp three years ago and I hurt myself doing a flip on the first day so I asked to move into the ice dance group for day two to avoid jumps and spins. Jimmy was the coach taking it and he was such a lovely guy and had a way of explaining things so well - he taught us that blues Choctaw on that day and it was just enlightening to have him explain things and help you through them.

IceSlider

I went to an adult camp three years ago and I hurt myself doing a flip on the first day so I asked to move into the ice dance group for day two to avoid jumps and spins. Jimmy was the coach taking it and he was such a lovely guy and had a way of explaining things so well - he taught us that blues Choctaw on that day and it was just enlightening to have him explain things and help you through them.

Sorry to hear you hurt yourself, I hope you're OK now. Jimmy is lovely and has a good way of coaching. It's been many years since I've had the pleasure in person but I found out at the weekend that he's participating in some Sunday morning Ice Dance workshops at Guidford Rink (UK). If I can get a link I'll post it here.

almondjoy

I'd second the comments about timing and shoulder check. A cross check will help loads. It's also about confidence and edge quality of the back right outside edge you're moving onto. I know one skater who practices these on the hocky goal semi circle to get the timing of the edges and change right. May help?

The video is Jimmy Young who's a British Ice Dance coach teaching the Blues - Ice Dance Course at Garmisch-Partenkirchen in August 2012.

He's been coaching and Ice Dancing forever (and still is!), he was coaching ice dance at Streatham when I was a teen learning it there in the 70's. He's refernced in this article: https://www.ice-dance.com/site/gary-shortland/

Sound quality isn't the best but I think you'll be able to follow and he does make it look so easy!

Hope that helps and good luck with it! :)

almondjoy

I watched the video and it was somewhat helpful. I’m just having trouble with regular Choctaw’s the ones from a back outside edge into and forward inside edge. That’s a good idea to practice them on the semi-circle! Thank you for the advice!

almondjoy

Sorry to hear you hurt yourself, I hope you're OK now. Jimmy is lovely and has a good way of coaching. It's been many years since I've had the pleasure in person but I found out at the weekend that he's participating in some Sunday morning Ice Dance workshops at Guidford Rink (UK). If I can get a link I'll post it here.
I watched the video and it was somewhat helpful. I’m just having trouble with regular Choctaw’s the ones from a back outside edge into and forward inside edge. That’s a good idea to practice them on the semi-circle! Thank you for the advice!

vesperholly

I am not super flexible and don't have a ton of natural turn out at all - no spread eagles or ina bauers for me, LOL splits! - and I got through the junior choctaws just fine, so you can do it! Definitely enlist a dance coach. They're a lot of body position and torso rotation. Any kind of twisting ab/oblique exercises or bosu ball training will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information