Oleg Protopopov has died at age 91

ignosk8er

Still keeping casual fans' ignorance.
Around 3 minutes into a 5+ minute program, he lasso lifted her into a one-hander that, like all of their skating, was unhurried and perfect. He was 53 and she was 50.

They were the most beautiful pairs team I’ve ever seen. May his and her memory be a blessing.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
I recall being in Lake Placid for a JGP and I was showing my parents around the Olympic facility and we stopped at the old rink. Oleg and Ludmilla were skating by themselves on the ice and it was just such a beautiful moment. No music, just the quiet sound of their blades. We stood mesmerized for a bit watching them when another group of people exploring the facility showed up. They watched for a few minutes before one of them said "they're pretty good for old people". I pointed out they were two time Olympic champions and he pondered for a second before responding "well that probably explains it" and eventually wandering away. But my parents and I treasured that quiet little exhibition.

barbk

The (translated) version of this article has some quite interesting background on Oleg, though it does rather deftly avoid the word defection.

They really were a remarkable pair.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
In the mid-90s the Protopopovs petitioned the ISU to reinstate them (this was after the brief window of time when the ISU allowed pros to reinstate as amateur skaters) on the basis that the country that they previously represented in competition no longer existed. They were in their 60s at the time. That showed how much they loved to skate, and to compete. A lot of the pairs now could learn from how Oleg and Ludmilla interacted on the ice and presented the image of a true pair.

SkateGuard

In the mid-90s the Protopopovs petitioned the ISU to reinstate them (this was after the brief window of time when the ISU allowed pros to reinstate as amateur skaters) on the basis that the country that they previously represented in competition no longer existed. They were in their 60s at the time. That showed how much they loved to skate, and to compete. A lot of the pairs now could learn from how Oleg and Ludmilla interacted on the ice and presented the image of a true pair.

Very well said! If I recall correctly, they wanted to represent Switzerland (where they were living at the time) with an eye to the 1997 Worlds in Lausanne and 1998 Olympics... in the spirit of participation. They got a no because the deadline for professionals to reinstate had already come and gone. Two of the last well-known pros to reinstate in time for the 1995-96 season were Midori Ito and Josée Chouinard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information