Music during freestyle sessions

• Thread starter Deleted member 53443
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 53443

When I skate at freestyle sessions I am probably in the minority, but I love the quiet sound of edges, spins, people focusing, working...

Of course when a skater runs a program there is music, and that is just inspiring.

But quite often, some skater comes in and hooks up his or her phone and starts some random playlist like it's in their living room.
Once I asked the person to turn it off but that didn't go down too well LOL. Funny enough, at hockey sessions, I have turned off music and there was no problem whatsoever.

Am I the only one who think like this? Especially I think it's a bit ignorant towards people having lessons.

TheGirlCanSkate

We have music at our rink - it plays during freestyles and if you need to play your music you can put your cd in. It's almost never quiet. My daughter likes music - not always what is on, but it does give the ice some energy.

TheGirlCanSkate

If someone came in and complained I don't think it would be well received. Music has been on for the 11 years my skater has been skating. Why does it seem ignorant to you?

treesprite

Sometimes non-program music gets played during freestyle sessions here, but not always. I love music, but sometimes I think it is a big distraction, especially if what is playing is stuff I don't like.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I hate a quiet rink. The music doesn't need to be loud but I like a bit of background noise. Same as a warm-up during a competition.

D

Deleted member 53443

If someone came in and complained I don't think it would be well received. Music has been on for the 11 years my skater has been skating. Why does it seem ignorant to you?

I don't want to be too stiff about it, it's not like nobody can ever play music, I just would like a little more common sense and communication. I don't think people are mean-minded when they do it, of course not. But it does ignore that some people might not like their music.

What if I am first at the cable and play heavy metal for the whole session?

Music affects us a lot, that's why McDonalds have certain music when there are lots of customers and they need people to eat faster and leave tables. That's why grocery stores spend so much money on consulting what music to play, to get us to buy more. And I guess, that's why we wouldn't have music in a class room.

As an example, my wife had a lesson, and her and her coach were the only ones on ice.
In the middle of the lesson, a woman gets on ice and puts on loud rock from the 90s for the next hour.
Would it be an impossible thought to ask the coach and student if they were ok with it?
The coach actually reacted, but decided to let it go.

bladesofgorey

Huh.
I am just the opposite.

I grew up with having loud music on during all public sessions and during the first 15 minutes of every freestyle session until warm-up was over and skaters started running their programs.

It's a big part of what makes skating enjoyable for me- I find it easier to jump and spin when skating feels more like dancing- I focus more on the music and less on the omigod I am about to throw myself in the air wtf is wrong with me.

Skating feels more exhilarating and creative for me with music playing than it does when I can only hear my edges (which makes me self-conscious and stiff). Doesn't really matter what kind of music either, as long as it's loud. The seasonal city rink near my house plays only new rap and hip hop at roof shaking decibels and after the first week of thinking I couldn't skate to that style of music I started looking forward to it since it's a whole new set of challenges for improvising footwork and working on timing, and I end up having a blast every time I go.

Yeah, I will completely admit that half the albums I buy now are based on "how well does this whole album work for a freestyle session". In fact maybe I should start a thread about "Albums (not singles) that work well for practice music" .

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I personally like it - the other adult skater I'm often on the ice rink with usually plays music as do many of the college-age skaters, and it helps keep me relaxed and focused (but not over-focused and obsessive on what I'm doing).

Skittl1321

We don't always have music, but if someone plugs their phone in it plays. Usually there is program music.

The worst is when most people are doing moves so someone plays their program over and over and over. Especially if it's a 6 year old doing an artistic program to something awful.

A coach once gave me a tip that if public skate was getting insane, change the music to a ballad and people will often slow down or take a break until a faster song comes on.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
I prefer FS with music on (especially if it's my on-ice playlist, lol), and patch sessions in silence. But for the most part, I don't care if there's music or not during FS.

antmanb

I prefer to skate with music on too. On our freestyle sessions the music defaults to a local radio station playing mostly top 40 pop music if someone's programme music isn't playing, but sadly it's mostly the same tired Disney music on repeat on my regular Thursday night session as every little girl goes through their Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, or Moana programme. Thankfully Frozen has tailed off now but every now and again that does come back and worse the one that goes from let it go into Vivaldi's Winter :yikes:

I've been at adult camps before where there was no music played and sometimes it really helps to listen to the sound your blades are making. The sound of the scratching is embarrassing enough to remind you to skate properly :lol:

antmanb

I'm guessing Greatest Showman will start to infiltrate the Disney princess ranks soon.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I don't mind music playing, even when it's something that isn't to my taste, but what I don't like is when it's too loud, particularly if I'm in a lesson and I can't hear what my coach is saying as a result. I can only assume all young people are deafer than my middle aged self. ;)

Ageless

I don't mind music playing, even when it's something that isn't to my taste, but what I don't like is when it's too loud, particularly if I'm in a lesson and I can't hear what my coach is saying as a result. I can only assume all young people are deafer than my middle aged self. ;)
I agree with Bunny Hop. Soft background music is fine, but when I have to lip read my coach, it's too loud.

Willin

Right now only coaches are allowed to use the boombox (although I don't know how much this is enforced since I haven't done freestyles at either rink I skate at in years).

I love having music on, particularly pop or rock. Growing up in synchro it really helps me to time things I do to music, even if the tempo is slightly different. I agree that it shouldn't be too loud, but I definitely at least like having a quiet beat. You can still hear your edges over music if you're doing them deeply enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information