Christine Brennan

On My Own

(maybe a mod can move the discussion here, or people can back track through the quote)
Problem is, there is also Dianas public rejection of the notion that she is in any way hampered by her hearing disability. https://www.facebook.com/TheSkating...-thinking-that-im-sick-and-/2449169941871626/. I assume the translation is accurate. If not, it's a whole different problem.
How can anyone believe this?
Yes, I had problems before, because for me people didn't talk clearly and I was shy and didn't talk to anybody, but at some moment I have decided that I'd develop my hearing, I refused to use any devices and everything that they have offered me, I realised that I opened up more and started hearing well. I managed to adapt myself.

You cannot forget it's Russia, and this hack-science style "treatments" probably exist there.

It could of course imply it wasn't a huge problem to begin, or it could mean she's lying to make herself look more conformist and less "damaged". And also seems to place the onus onto the disabled people to "improve".

barbk

(maybe a mod can move the discussion here, or people can back track through the quote)

You cannot forget it's Russia, and this hack-science style "treatments" probably exist there.

It could of course imply it wasn't a huge problem to begin, or it could mean she's lying to make herself look more conformist and less "damaged". And also seems to place the onus onto the disabled people to "improve".
Other people "not talking clearly" is a classic symptom of hearing loss.

I have moderately severe hearing loss and am happy to wear good hearing aids. Still, I do a lot of lip reading...and it wasn't until COVID mask-up that I really understood how much lip reading I was doing. Even with lip reading and hearing aids, some people's voices (especially women with higher-pitched voices) are a real struggle to understand. So are certain accents. I do a lot better with people I know well, probably because my brain can more easily figure out the conversation because I understand the context.

If I wasn't wearing hearing aids and someone whose voice I wasn't very familiar with came up and began asking me questions about a stressful and politically fraught situation, I'd probably disengage, too. When you're only capturing accurately about half of what is being said...problems arise.

nylynnr

The Brennan-Davis-Smolkin imbroglio happened in the mixed zone in Beijing. Why is it resurfacing now?

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none

Because Davis said it? If someone says they don't have a disability, I take them at their word. In fact, I think continuing to insist someone has a disability when they themselves say they do not is more offensive than anything Christine Brennan did. Respect people's decision to self-identify or not as a person with a disability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information