Chinese skating news pt. 5 & social media updates, 2023-24

On My Own

I doubt that her struggles have ever been taken seriously given that Jia just casually posted such a private thing publicly in a dismissive tone.
Well hopefully they will be now, seeing that there are many on the comment and repost section saying as much, and are also reaming Jia. I think this might turn out to be a good thing.

ETA: it made this twitter page.

Last edited:

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
Wow wow wow, Chinese pairs men stay absolute trash. (Though that's pairs men in general, let's be real.) Can any of them find a woman his own age and work with her without gaslighting her, giving her an eating disorder and/or posting on social media that because she has suicidal depression she's lazy and didn't support his career enough, or would that be too hard?

Pairs as a discipline is completely horrifying in its treatment of women. They need to tighten the age gap rules even further just to spite these assholes (and also make the rampant exploitation of young girls slightly harder to accomplish).

Anyway, I hope Wang has people in her corner taking care of her because that's the most important thing here. I can't imagine how I would have felt seeing a post like that about me at her young age, for all to see on social media, and I don't have mental health problems! I think I would have developed them on the spot.

Last edited:

raruki

Apparently, Jia deleted his Weibo statement furtively. All his claims regarding Wang are not believable now, and it just proved that Jia is a typical misogynist who doesn't want to bear responsibility and shifts the blame to the girl by calling her "a psycho" for justifying himself.

Last edited:

On My Own

Apparently, Jia deleted his Weibo statement furtively. All his claims regarding Wang are not believable now, and it just proved that Jia is a typical misogynist who doesn't want to bear responsibility and shifts the blame to the girl by calling her "a psycho" for justifying himself.
Did see this other weibo post about it: https://m.weibo.cn/status/MDsWRnC2E (person posted screenshots of the response, so sending here)

Something about there being a lot of insulting posts about Wang in the 2019-20 season.

On My Own

Completely forgot where the thread to post it into is, but tangentially related to here anyway.

Shenyang after that (2026-27 4CCs), Harbin (2026-27 JWC), Beijing (2026-27 Worlds). Shenyang is new, too. China's clearly interested in expanding its skating scene, and you have to think it'll succeed in getting one if not two of these.

Sylvia

TBD
Latest update was posted yesterday in the ISU Championship Bids/Allotments thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...2024-2025-and-2026.109977/page-3#post-6427080

ETA:

Could be a good thing for her if she cooperates with different choreographers to develop more different styles
Sure, why not? :) The boy standing next to her is Yu-Hsiang LI (TPE) - I recall them in a photo or two together at Junior Worlds.

On My Own

4 spots CHN - Jin (SB 31) will get a 2nd assignment in addition to CoC; Chen (SB 59) will get a CoC assignment; and the initial assignments will have a CoC TBD host pick that could be picked up by someone else later.
Raruki said David Day, and I have to hope for it, he's great. Like him more than Yudong. Hope he can get that 3A under control.
3 spots CHN - An (SB 38) will get a 2nd spot in addition to her CoC assignment based on the strength of her JWC finish; and the initial assignments will have a CoC TBD host spot that could be picked up by a skater from another country. Are there any age-eligible Chinese women who could snag this plum assignment?
BeVeRLy? Or Angel Li or Jiaying Cheng who was going to go last season for the senior mins?
2 spots CHN - Zhang/Yang (SB 29) will get one of the CoC host spots on the initial list and hope for a 2nd assignment later; Peng/Wang (CoC host pick) aren't eligible as a Comeback Couple because she achieved her Worlds Top 6 results with Jin, and they also aren't eligible for a Return Split Couple assignment because she didn't compete at Worlds 2022 or 2023. They're going to have to aim to win an early Challenger and get on the Alternates List that way.
Wouldn't it be "funny" is Peng/Wang (if they're really formed) snatch that worlds spot from Zhang/Yang. But I guess this mysterious couple is much more likely to actually get two spots back lol.

otisgear

Wouldn't it be "funny" is Peng/Wang (if they're really formed) snatch that worlds spot from Zhang/Yang. But I guess this mysterious couple is much more likely to actually get two spots back lol.
I'd say Peng/Wang are almost guaranteed to take that worlds spot should they compete. They're obviously a big question mark but it's hard to imagine them being worse than barely making the free skate thanks to a catastrophic mistake by a junior team.

On My Own

I'd say Peng/Wang are almost guaranteed to take that worlds spot should they compete. They're obviously a big question mark but it's hard to imagine them being worse than barely making the free skate thanks to a catastrophic mistake by a junior team.
Watching some of Lei's skating, I think they'd be a good match, simply because on the ice he looks (height and build) and skates a lot like Yang lol. I wonder if that's a part of why she supposedly chose him.

raruki

I would say WANG Lei is technically and physically superior to JIN Yang, but the real problem for Lei is he is not young and away from the competition and training for almost a whole Olympic cycle. But at least they are not training under that creepy ZTC, and Beijing Century Star skating club does have some decent pair skating coaches like HAN Bing.

raruki

The schedule of domestic competitions in China next season.

The Inter-club competition, Wuxi, Jiangsu. July 12th to July 16th
The Inter-club competition, Changsha, Hunan. July 19th to July 23rd
The Inter-club competition, Beijing. July 26th to July 30th *possible qualifier for National winter games
The Inter-club competition, Harbin, Heilongjiang. August 2nd to August 6th
The Inter-club competition, Hulun Buir, Inner Mongolia. August 9th to August 13th *possible qualifier for National winter games
The Inter-club final, Tengchong, Yunnan. September 6th to September 10th

National novice and junior Championship, Heilongjiang. November 19th to November 27th
National Championship, Hebei. December 21st to December 24th

National Winter Games, Hulun Buir, Inner Mongolia. February 17th to February 27th
Champion competition, TBD. April 26th to April 30th

raruki

NINI is now training with Team Triple Kim in Korea.

On My Own

NINI is now training with Team Triple Kim in Korea.
Permanently?

raruki

Permanently?
Sylvia mentioned that Benoit went to Korea to choreograph some Korean skaters, but he only went to the CHI Hyun-jung's ice rink, not the Triple Kim's ice rink. So she might go to their ice rink for choreographing the new programs with SHIN Yeaji or work on her Lutz jumps?
If you follow her fan club's IG, her fan club just posted some photos of Nini visiting her family in Korea and wearing Hanbok. Not gonna paste the link though as her fan club urges everyone not to reproduce any photos of her family visit.

On My Own

Not gonna paste the link though as her fan club urges everyone not to reproduce any photos of her family visit.
I mean if it's on instagram, they can clearly be shared. It probably applies to those kids on weibo who circulate pictures without context (especially with the way many on cnetz are awful towards Koreans, it's probably for the good). But anyway. Happy to know she actually still has family in Korea! If she really does move, then hopefully she'll still have familial support. Does she speak Korean? (she looks very pretty in Hanbok!)

Korean coaches can hopefully help her clean up her jumps.

raruki

Many Korean minorities in China have migrated to Korea for making a living after China established a diplomatic relationship with Korea in the 90s, so it is not surprising that Nini does have family in Korea as she is a Korean minority.
Not sure whether Nini can speak Korean or not, but she can speak very fluent English as she can interview with the press in Full English without any effort. She is also practicing Japanese a little bit.

raruki

According to LI Xuantong's IG Stories, Team Zheng Xun is now working with Natalia Linichuk.
So glad that Team Heilongjiang is seriously investing in its ice dance teams.

On My Own

:cool:

I hope you guys chill from now on, lol, not everything is calamity and apocalypse.

Chinese sports authority is eyeing singles skating this Olympic cycle. They are now searching for the skaters who have the potential to land quads and gather all of them in an Eteri’s style training camp to practice quads.o_O

What came of this?

raruki

Chinese sports authority held a mobilization meeting for Milan 2026.

The Winter sports management center Chairman criticized the Chinese figure skating lacking a talent pool and said “nothing can be praised” among young skaters. (Nini: Am I a joke?)
倪会忠称,这其中固然有北京冬奥会冠军选手处于赛季调整的客观原因,但更暴露出所谓“优势项目”人才厚度的短板,特别是花样滑冰项目年轻运动员乏善可陈,米兰冬奥会训练备战前景依然不容乐观。

But we still got some good news about the developments of figure skating.
倪会忠介绍,在花样滑冰、单板滑雪平行大回转、北欧两项等项目探索实行部分运动员海外训练模式,由地方体育局、冬运中心、运动员个人签订三方协议,共担训练费用,设立绩效目标,严格考核,激励运动员自我管理,提升训练效果。
Some athletes can train overseas by settling down an agreement among the local sports authority, the Winter sports authority, and the athletes, and All three parties should bear the training cost, set up the key performance indicators, get strict scrutiny of the performance, provide enough incentives, and improve the performance of the athletes.
对于传统重点项目和潜力项目,采取国家队集中统一管理模式;对于市场发展较好、参与人数较多、地方有条件保障的项目,采取社会俱乐部、个人家庭培养、海外训练等多种培养模式,或通过选拔进入国家队进行阶段性集训参赛;对于竞技水平较低、市场发展不充分的一般和困难项目,计划采取集中与分散相结合的方式,将地方集训与国家队阶段性选拔结合起来。
Some events which are highly commercialized, have a good number of attendants, can be supported by the local authority, they can organize and train in multiple ways via sports clubs, family, overseas training, or national teams for short-term training for the competition.

Last edited:

raruki

According to LI Xuantong's IG Stories, Team Zheng Xun is now working with Natalia Linichuk.
So glad that Team Heilongjiang is seriously investing in its ice dance teams.
LoL, I just heard that Heilongjiang didn't spend a single penny on their overseas training, and they have to spend their money with some sponsorships from IMG.
It is much better, to be honest, commercialization should be the right path for Chinese figure skating. Any officials or authority should keep their sh*t out of the training or competition if they don’t spend a penny.

On My Own

The Winter sports management center Chairman criticized the Chinese figure skating lacking a talent pool and said “nothing can be praised” among young skaters. (Nini: Am I a joke?)
I mean I doubt they know a lick about skating.

On My Own

LoL, I just heard that Heilongjiang didn't spend a single penny on their overseas training, and they have to spend their money with some sponsorships from IMG.
It is much better, to be honest, commercialization should be the right path for Chinese figure skating. Any officials or authority should keep their sh*t out of the training or competition if they don’t spend a penny.

mwahaha!

Last edited:

Andrea82

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
HAN Cong was in Spain to have a seminar with some key members of the technical committee of ISU.
(one of them is Fabio Bianchetti?)
HAN is seriously pursuing a career in IFs.
Seems to me that the likelihood of Sui/Han returning to competition gets smaller and smaller with each passing week. Which is fine. I love 'em to bits, but they more than deserve to retire while they can both still walk and skate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information