Chadwick Boseman has died of cancer!

clairecloutier

I'm sorry, I didn't have any idea who he was all this time, but I saw a thing about Michael B. Jordan and him and read "In March 2003, Michael B. Jordan joined the cast of All My Children, replacing Chadwick Boseman, playing Reggie Montgomery, a troubled teenager, until June 2006."

Sidebar - I remembered Michael B. Jordan being on AMC when he was on Friday Night Lights. And now he is a big movie star. Neat.

That's so funny that Chadwick and Michael B. Jordan played the same character on AMC. Guess their careers were linked from the beginning!

Susan1

That's so funny that Chadwick and Michael B. Jordan played the same character on AMC. Guess their careers were linked from the beginning!
This is a quote from where I saw Michael B. Jordan's name/AMC -
"One of the last times we spoke, you said we were forever linked, and now the truth of that means more to me than ever," Jordan wrote. "Since nearly the beginning of my career, starting with All My Children when I was 16 years old you paved the way for me. You showed me how to be better, honor purpose, and create legacy. And whether you’ve known it or not…I’ve been watching, learning and constantly motivated by your greatness."

Susan1

I remember Michael B Jordan as Reggie but I don't remember Chadwick playing him - in fact I thought Michael B Jordan was the only one who played Reggie! That's a cool fact about the two of them.
Me neither - apparently, it was only a week.

Gosh, remember Soap Central? I used to print the recaps and take them with me to read at lunch. And then watch the day's DVRd episode at night.

vgerdes

Chadwick Boseman's death really was like a throat punch to me. Still processing, really. He was so young, and apparently in his prime, when he played Black Panther. Shocking that he was fighting this battle the entire time.

skatingguy

decently
I couldn't make it through Black Panther, but I really didn't enjoy MCU films other than the first Iron Man & haven't watched most of them. I prefer Boseman in the Jackie Robinson & Thurgood Marshall biopics.

Sylvia

TBD
Very touching tributes by Boseman's 2 older brothers in this NYT article:

This month’s edition of Empire is a very special issue in tribute to Chadwick Boseman, an actor who truly changed the face of cinema over the last decade. The magazine features personal remembrances from his screen collaborators, plus a look back at the iconic roles he portrayed over his career – from Black Panther and Thurgood Marshall to James Brown and beyond – and Empire writers revisiting their interview experiences with the man himself. Boseman left an indelible mark on cinema and the film industry at large, and his cultural contributions – as well as the generosity of how much he gave to the world in the most difficult of circumstances – will endure for generations to come.

Beyond pursuing Miller for the film, Boseman went the extra mile: fighting for his co-star to receive a higher pay packet for joining the production, to the extent that he donated part of his own salary to increase her fee. “I didn't know whether or not to tell this story, and I haven't yet. But I am going to tell it, because I think it's a testament to who he was,” Miller says. “This was a pretty big budget film, and I know that everybody understands about the pay disparity in Hollywood, but I asked for a number that the studio wouldn't get to. And because I was hesitant to go back to work and my daughter was starting school and it was an inconvenient time, I said, ‘I’ll do it if I'm compensated in the right way.’ And Chadwick ended up donating some of his salary to get me to the number that I had asked for. He said that that was what I deserved to be paid.”
:respec:

I just watched 21 Bridges (2019) and thought Boseman gave a really compelling performance.

Sylvia

TBD
May 26, 2021 press release: https://newsroom.howard.edu/newsroo...llege-fine-arts-after-iconic-alumnus-chadwick
Howard University President Wayne A. I. Frederick is pleased to announce that the newly reestablished College of Fine Arts will be named in honor of alumnus Chadwick Boseman, whose remarkable career as an actor, director, writer, and producer inspired millions around the world. The news comes just weeks after the announcement of alumna and actress Phylicia Rashad as dean of the college. During his tenure at Howard,Boseman led a student protest against the absorption of the College of Fine Arts into the College of Arts & Sciences. Long after graduating, he, along with other alumni, continued to engage in conversations with Howard University administration- their efforts were not in vain. Plans to re-establish the College of Fine Arts were announced in early 2018.
“I am extremely pleased that Howard University has chosen to honor my husband in this way and elated that Ms. Rashad has accepted the role as Dean,” said Boseman’s wife, Simone Ledward-Boseman. “Chad was a very proud Bison — both Howard and Ms. Rashad played integral roles in his journey as an artist. The re-establishment of the College of Fine Arts brings this part of his story full-circle and ensures that his legacy will continue to inspire young storytellers for years to come.”
A native of South Carolina, Boseman graduated from Howard University in 2000 with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in directing. During his tenure, he had the fortunate opportunity to be trained and mentored by Rashad, who recognized his talent early on. "Unrelenting in his pursuit of excellence, Chadwick was possessed with a passion for inquiry and a determination to tell stories - through acting, writing, and directing - that revealed the beauty and complexity of our human spirit," said Rashad, who is elated about the news of Boseman’s recognition.
Today’s announcement kicks off a fundraising effort to build a new, state-of-the-art facility to become the home of the Chadwick A. Boseman College of Fine Arts. The building will also house the Cathy Hughes School of Communications and the University’s television and radio stations, WHUT-TV and WHUR 96.3 FM, creating a dynamic, one-stop complex for the arts and journalism combined. To donate, please visit https://giving.howard.edu/BosemanCollegeOfFineArts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information