Biden considering having US diplomatic boycott of Beijing Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
He is considering a diplomatic boycott, meaning US government officials would not attend.

I think this is being talked about in the Olys forum and in the PI forum.

skatingguy

decently
Biden ? LOL . With an approval lower than the hopeless Kamala.

All talk, if there is a boycott only delegation.
Not a blip on Peng Shuai from the media ?
Not sure what his approval ratings have to do with a diplomatic boycott.

Peng Shuai's disappearance is being covered in the media. That's how most of us have heard about it & why it's been discussed in the tennis thread & the Beijing Olympics thread.

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
Here's a link to an article which is quicker to digest than a 4 minute news clip:

Key takeaway - "considering" is a broad term, plus there are different flavors of boycotts that still allow athletes to compete:

Asked by reporters about the possibility of the boycott during an Oval Office meeting with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of Canada, Biden responded that it was "something we are considering."

A diplomatic boycott suggests that the U.S. would not send an official government delegation to the Games but would still allow U.S. athletes to compete, although White House press secretary Jen Psaki declined to say how the president defined it.

Scott512

Biden ? LOL . With an approval lower than the hopeless Kamala.

All talk, if there is a boycott only delegation.
Not a blip on Peng Shuai from the media ?
The 1st part of your post made me laugh and then the last part last part about Peng makes me want to cry.

China will probably have the most Winter Olympic athletes I wonder if they will say anything.

Jammers

Useless gesture either way. China will continue to do what they want to do. This is a country that censors the internet so their own people don't find out about crimes such as the Tiananmen square massacre. Just think about that for a moment two generations of Chinese people have no idea that this event even happened. Those people who were killed are heroes and yet they can't even be honored by their own people because of the communist government and their almost pathological need for control of people.

Scott512

Useless gesture either way. China will continue to do what they want to do. This is a country that censors the internet so their own people don't find out about crimes such as the Tiananmen square massacre. Just think about that for a moment two generations of Chinese people have no idea that this event even happened. Those people who were killed are heroes and yet they can't even be honored by their own people because of the communist government and their almost pathological need for control of people.

True. Sad but true.

Why put the Olympics there? Or WTA finals? Ignoring Chinas crimes against humanity and their own people is being okay with it.

Scott512

well at least WTA have some GUTS posting something on twitter in solidarity with Pneg Shuai
Yes they do and I don't think theit WTA finals will be back in China anytime soon. Especially after one of their players just disappeared in their country. Not a good look.

caseyedwards

Having only American athletes answer questions as to why they are supporting by competing in the country committing genocide is awful. All the diplomats should be there to take the questions about why Americans are supporting the Uighur genocide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information