Better skater- Lambiel or Lysacek

joubertelegant

Banned Member
I would probably go with Lambiel since despite being a far weaker competitor than the tough and resourceful Lysacek he achieved as much or slightly more with more World titles (2 to 1), more world medals (3 to 2), more GPF titles (2 to 1), many more National titles, and the same # of regular grand prix wins. His Europeans record also eclipses Lysacek's Four Continents record considering the vastly superior field. The only edge Lysacek has being the Olympic Gold to Silver.

Evan though has much higher quality jumps with more height, better edge control, and better landings. Lambiel has no triple axel but Evan no quad. Evan is the better spinner by a bit, while Lambiel has better footwork, stroking, artistry, and choreography.

zebraswan

Let's see...one was a soulless robot who has practically been forgotten 8 years after he won gold, the other is one of the most popular skaters on the planet 8 years after he retired, whose skating has only gotten better with age, with SS and spins to die for. That's a tough one.

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
Come on, what else would you rather debate the first night of Olympic competition!? :rofl:
I miss the picture of the sad boy that used to be on top of your poster name.

As for this discussion, I really like manly skaters so Evan was a favorite of mine. He also reminds me of one of the guys I used to bunk with during my days in the navy, they both had such nice smiles. My wife hated Evan though and threw a can of Tab at the TV when he won the Olympics.

hanca

Values her privacy
I miss the picture of the sad boy that used to be on top of your poster name.

As for this discussion, I really like manly skaters so Evan was a favorite of mine. He also reminds me of one of the guys I used to bunk with during my days in the navy, they both had such nice smiles. My wife hated Evan though and threw a can of Tab at the TV when he won the Olympics.
Oh, I wanted to ask what your wife thinks about it, but then I got to the last sentence of your post...

Meoima

Let's see...one was a soulless robot who has practically been forgotten 8 years after he won gold, the other is one of the most popular skaters on the planet 8 years after he retired, whose skating has only gotten better with age, with SS and spins to die for. That's a tough one.
I almost thought the title of this thread was a satire...

Stephanatic

Well forgotten outside the U.S. Lysacek is a huge star, a Boitano level legend in the U.S, but little acclaim elsewhere today, even in Canada.
No, he most certainly is not. He has very little public exposure for the last several years (except maybe when he's accompanying Vera Wang somewhere) and even ardent figure skating fans here don't know or care what he's doing; the general public doesn't remember him at all. Boitano has had nationwide exposure beyond the figure skating world (2 popular TV programs, one a cooking show, the other a home renovation show), and indeed is popular in the U.S.

(And I totally agree with zebraswan's assessment of the two skaters. Stephane is a skater for the ages, Evan was the skater of a very lucky moment for himself. My heart still aches that the judges were finally ready to give the gold to someone other than Pluschenko and Stephane was not able to claim the medal.)

Last edited:

volturemean

Banned Member
Comparing their achievements:

Olympic medals- Lysacek 1 gold, Lambiel 1 silver
World golds- Lambiel 2, Lysacek 1
World medals- Lambiel 3, Lysacek 2
Grand Prix final titles- Lambiel 2, Lysacek 1
grand prix event wins- 3 each I believe
National titles- Lambiel something like 7, Lysacek 2

So Lambiel is basically ahead in all but the Olympics and even here it is only the difference between a single gold and a single silver.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications šŸ˜
Without considering overall titles....

Lysacek.

Considering titles... Lambiel...

Lysacek had fast rotations in the air. Fast with his footwork, consistent with spins

Didn't Lambiel always land his jumps rather low to the ice?

Lambiel was the best spinner of all of them all.

Although I preferred Lambiels programs the most of anyone!! (except that hideous 06 multi colored and zebra outfit.... child.....)

Now dont get me wrong, I wouldn't kick Lambiel outta bed.....:D If Paul aint around, then Lambiel can sneak on in.

sylvestercat

Banned Member
Lambiel is the much more successful in terms of medals and results, but if you look just at pure skating it would be Lysacek. Lambiel had more achievements due to his consistency. So it depends if you define better as more medals and achievements which would be Lambiel or more talent and better basic and overall skating quality which would be Lysacek.

sylvestercat

Banned Member
You're kidding, right?

Evan actually gets more points out of spins than Lambiel most times. If you study protocals from competitions in 2005-2008 when both were competing regularly you can see this. Lambiel only come out ahead when Lysacek messed up on a lot of his jumps which he did often, hence why the less talented but more consistent/mentally tough Lambiel got some wins.

Meoima

Evan actually gets more points out of spins than Lambiel most times. If you study protocals from competitions in 2005-2008 when both were competing regularly you can see this. Lambiel only come out ahead when Lysacek messed up on a lot of his jumps which he did often, hence why the less talented but more consistent/mentally tough Lambiel got some wins.
Evan, is that you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information