Aliona (Aljona) Savchenko is named 2017-18 icenetwork Person of the Year

Sylvia

TBD
IN tweeted today: "She persevered through years of heartbreak before finally attaining her ultimate goal, and for that, she is the 2017-18 icenetwork Person of the Year.

Read Jean-Christophe Berlot's profile of Aliona Savchenko": http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2018/04/27/273798642

Excerpt from the beginning:
Aliona Savchenko's story is like that of a Greek epic, one that reached its climax when its heroine finally fulfilled her destiny at the top of the Olympic mountain range Feb. 15 in Gangneung, South Korea.

As in all good epics, Savchenko's journey is marked by waves and revivals. She went through multiple partners before finding the one who could lift her to new heights. She had to endure years of heartbreak and frustration before she could taste victory on the sport's biggest stage. Even when she did achieve her ultimate goal, she did so in unlikely fashion -- when the odds were stacked against her and almost everyone had counted her out.

Everyone, that is, except Savchenko herself.

Yet another well-deserved acknowledgement of her :glamor: greatness! :encore:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
The five other 2017-18 "icenetwork Person of the Year" nominee articles:

ETA the previous winners (articles linked):
2017: The Comeback Skater
2016: New Quad Kings
2015: Eric Radford
2014: Brian Orser
(using a points-based ranking system):
2013: Volosozhar & Trankov
2012: Patrick Chan

Last edited:

Ohyes

Congrats! Wow, a lot of worthy nominees too. this has been quite the season.

Bellanca

What an impressive group of nominees they had this year! Wowza! Kind of makes one wonder who came in second? A close second, maybe? I don’t know, but each one had a great case, imho.
At the end of the day (or season), Aljona was able to rise to the occasion and make it all happen for herself. :encore: Bruno may have helped a little, too. ;) :40beers:

MsZem

I see the sea
Absolutely the right choice. The rest of the Olympics was completely secondary to Aljona's OGM. I will say that the account of the ending of the S/S partnership seems like something of a revisionist history ;)

Shout out to Bruno for making all of it possible. There's been a lot of talk about how lucky he was that she chose him as her partner, but Aljona was fortunate to find someone who was so supportive and hardworking. It's clear that she's a happier person and skater these days.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Absolutely the right choice. The rest of the Olympics was completely secondary to Aljona's OGM. I will say that the account of the ending of the S/S partnership seems like something of a revisionist history ;)

Shout out to Bruno for making all of it possible. There's been a lot of talk about how lucky he was that she chose him as her partner, but Aljona was fortunate to find someone who was so supportive and hardworking. It's clear that she's a happier person and skater these days.

Hear, hear!!!!

kittyjake5

Well deserved. The other nominees were special but pale in comparison to Aliona’s journey. Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information