2024 US Figure Skating Championships

acraven

Google Maps is telling me the UDF at 900 N High St is about 0.9 miles from the arena. There's a CVS at 775 Neil Avenue, about 0.7 miles from the arena. I don't know anything about those neighborhoods or the blocks one would have to walk through to reach them.

North Market Downtown will be a much closer (though much more expensive) source of food.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Google Maps is telling me the UDF at 900 N High St is about 0.9 miles from the arena. There's a CVS at 775 Neil Avenue, about 0.7 miles from the arena. I don't know anything about those neighborhoods or the blocks one would have to walk through to reach them.

North Market Downtown will be a much closer (though much more expensive) source of food.
UDF is in the middle of the aforementioned Short North. CVS is in Victorian Village, a skip away from Goodale Park which is beautiful in the spring and summer (some very $$$ homes around the park, too). If you go a mile north up High Street, there’s a Kroger just before you start to hit Ohio State campus and dorms.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
There are plenty of restaurants in the area around the arena. And just to make it clear for out-of-towners, North Market is not a grocery. It's listed as a farmer's market, but it's really a lot of food kiosks.

Cool place, lots of good food choices, but I bet it will be mobbed. It's not terribly big.

If people want groceries for their rooms, I'd say Kroger is their best bet.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Omg, people... buy your stuffies on Amazon before you leave and have them delivered to the hotel in your name. The hotel will then deliver them to your room. ;)

ice coverage

Whelp it looks like I dawdled too long to buy parking because I can’t find a skating day where the map isn’t showing everything sold out. ☹️ does anyone know if there will be more parking the day of? I would assume there will be, but if I don’t make a plan beforehand something will inevitably implode the day of.

I would suggest taking another look at the prepaid parking page at this point. https://arenadistrict.parkmobile.io/events
As of today, I see availability for Tue-Sun for the non-"private" options. (Maybe they added slots since you last checked??)

I'm not really sure (at all!), but seems possible that maybe(??) day-of parking also would be readily available anyway, without prepayment??
FWIW, here is a different page with some information: https://www.columbussports.org/skate/visiting-columbus/transportation/maps/

If anyone would be interested in an alternative format (all on one page) to the color-coded schedule, see link below.
ETA:​
Caveat: The alternative format has an error in Wed start time of Junior Women warm-up in Main Rink.
Per color-coded schedule, the correct start time is 7:00 am.​

Registration links for more non-competition offerings are at: https://www.columbussports.org/skate/tickets/off-ice-events/

Learn to Skate SkateFest, Friday, January 26 at 9 a.m. OR 10:15 a.m. [Two different sessions.]
[Held in the Nats practice rink, which is not needed for Fri official practice until 1 pm.]
"Get out on the ice and learn the basics. It’s open to all ages and skill levels with no prior skating experience necessary. It’s free to participate and includes free skate rentals. ...."
DISCLAIMER: Registering for Skatefest does not automatically grant access to any of the U.S. Figure Skating Championships sessions at the Nationwide Arena. ...​

Breaking the Ice, Sunday, January 28 at 12:30 p.m.
Join us at the Lincoln Theater for Breaking the Ice: Exploring Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion in Figure Skating, a panel discussion hosted by U.S. Figure Skating DEI Director, Kadari Taylor-Watson. The panelists, including founders of diverse ice-skating programs, coaches, choreographers, parents, athletes, and officials, will share their unique experiences and insights on advancing DEI within the sport. This engaging conversation will take place at the Lincoln Theatre, a cultural landmark with a rich history of incubating talented emerging artists in the African-American community.
The Theatre also helped secure national anthem singers and an artist to create a skating-themed postcard.
[Ends at 1:45 pm. Men FS begins at 2:45 pm. If Google is reliable, Lincoln Theatre apparently is a six-minute car ride of 1.4 miles away from Nationwide Arena? But if anyone really registers for the DEI panel discussion, pls check the transportation time for yourself.]​

Just a few examples of community collaborations from the long compilation at: https://www.columbussports.org/blog...s-around-the-us-figure-skating-championships/

The Fashion Alliance is a nonprofit collective of creatives passionate about the fashion industry in Columbus. We sought their support to design a gift to present to skaters. They sourced local artists to design a scarf that will be worn around the necks of athletes along with their medals at the conclusion of their event.

Rock on Ice, a Columbus-based ice sculpture company, will be creating ice sculptures on Battelle Plaza on Saturday, January 27 between skating sessions. That includes a live ice carving demonstration.

In partnership with U.S. Figure Skating, the Greater Columbus Sports Commission has partnered with the National Veterans Memorial Museum and Special Olympics Ohio to recognize these groups at the championships. A group of veterans will be offered free entry to the Championships on Thursday, January 25 while a group of Special Olympic athletes will be offered free entry on Friday, January 26.

The Columbus Downtown Development Corporation oversees Columbus Commons and the Scioto Mile. We wanted to promote the event at these two amazing outdoor spaces, each with a bustling schedule of events. The partnership included sharing information on the screens at Columbus Commons, distributing marketing materials at events and use of figure skating themed lawn games.​

FYI, Jan 22-27 is Restaurant Week in Columbus:

Last edited:

YukiNieve

I don't know if there is a Whole Foods in the area but they also sell stuffed animals....wildlife/endangered species, from some company that uses recycled products and gives a portion of proceeds to WWF.

Barnes & Noble also sells stuffies.
Target near OSU is in Lennox Town Center, which also has Barns and Noble, according to its website.Hope that I can find something there!

tony

Target near OSU is in Lennox Town Center, which also has Barns and Noble, according to its website.Hope that I can find something there!

That Target is not walkable from downtown or really even the Short North. The best bet really would be to Amazon yourself some stuff to the hotel, as suggested above. Unless you plan on Ubering everywhere once in Columbus.

YukiNieve

That Target is not walkable from downtown or really even the Short North. The best bet really would be to Amazon yourself some stuff to the hotel, as suggested above. Unless you plan on Ubering everywhere once in Columbus.
Of course I will not plan to walk, even though I like walking in general, lol.

Joubabe

So a bag of stuffies isn’t subject to the general restrictions on bringing bags into the arena?

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
So a bag of stuffies isn’t subject to the general restrictions on bringing bags into the arena?
We ask that all the time, right @jkl? :rofl:

They may not allow it in Columbus but we’ve seen trash bags of stuffies brought in. Very silly to allow that when there are bag restrictions.

acraven

For any others staying at the Red Roof Plus+, I see there's something called The Hills Market Downtown at 95 N Grant Ave, 0.6 miles from the Red Roof and 0.9 miles from the arena. I don't think it's large, but it could be useful. https://www.columbusfoodmarket.com/departments/

There's an Eastern European restaurant (pierogi!) very close to the market. (I'm not in Columbus yet; I'm just looking at Google Maps.)

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
There's a Jeni's at North Market, which is an easy walk from the arena, and they do tastings :D.

The high on Thursday is supposed to be 57F :lol:. Everyone from out of state will wonder why we've been whining about how cold it is.

jennysk8oboe

So at the risk of looking like an idiot, I am nervous about this whole “tickets on your phone” thing. (Yes, I’m a nationals virgin!). I’ve managed to get my tickets into my Apple wallet. But here’s my concern—- can they also be put on my hubby’s phone in case he wants to come later than I do? He’s an android user! Someone, please pm me!

tony

So at the risk of looking like an idiot, I am nervous about this whole “tickets on your phone” thing. (Yes, I’m a nationals virgin!). I’ve managed to get my tickets into my Apple wallet. But here’s my concern—- can they also be put on my hubby’s phone in case he wants to come later than I do? He’s an android user! Someone, please pm me!
Should be able to email him one of the tickets and then he can put it in his Google Wallet, similar to what you did on your phone.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series

Yep, if you go to the tickets in your Columbus Blue Jackets account there’s a Transfer option. You can transfer his seat for every event to him all at once via email. Then he can save them to his phone.

Also, I’m so excited for you attending your first Nationals! There’s nothing like the awe and excitement of the first time. Just know you’ll now be hooked and will want to return again and again. 😊

mtnskater

Looks like umbrellas will be needed most days of Nationals? Darn. I always enjoy walking from the hotel to the arena. I’m about a half mile away, not far.

Anita18

It depends!
Completely unrelated to any of the previous convos since I've been SO out of the figure skating loop for the past few years...but my husband flew super early today out of OAK for a work trip and says he sat randomly in between a figure skater and her coach! Of COURSE it would happen to him while I'm solo parenting our 2-year-old who's potty training at daycare this week too. :p

He's absolutely in no teknik in figure skating (he says the coach mentioned they were going the World Championships, but it must be Nationals due to timing), so he had absolutely NO idea what level she might have been, even if they were reviewing practice clips on the coach's phone. But says he asked after he noticed her "Team USA" jacket. The only descriptions he could muster were that the skater was an East Asian girl, coach was older white woman, the girl was speaking another language to her mother who came over a bunch. Probably didn't narrow it down any. And I don't see anyone local or training in the Bay Area who's competing. Maybe we'll never find out who this was. :rofl:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The only descriptions he could muster were that the skater was an East Asian girl, coach was older white woman, the girl was speaking another language to her mother who came over a bunch. Probably didn't narrow it down any. And I don't see anyone local or training in the Bay Area who's competing. Maybe we'll never find out who this was. :rofl:
Mia Kalin, who is going to Nationals as a Senior, trains in the Bay Area and represents St. Moritz ISC. But her coach is a guy (Vadim Shebeco).

Laura Lepitsky is a coach in our area who has skaters going to Nationals who I think might be in her 40s??

Anita18

It depends!
Mia Kalin, who is going to Nationals as a Senior, trains in the Bay Area and represents St. Moritz ISC. But her coach is a guy (Vadim Shebeco).

Laura Lepitsky is a coach in our area who has skaters going to Nationals who I think might be in her 40s??
I just saw Mia on the Team USA roster, but he was adamant that the skater was East Asian. (He's not THAT clueless of a white dude. :rofl: ) I saw that Sherry Zhang is from San Jose, but she also apparently withdrew months ago. It's also possible that they were flying out of OAK for non-training/family reasons? 🤷‍♀️

I just sent him the link to the roster gallery, maybe he'll recognize a face tomorrow. 🤞

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information