Tour de France 2017

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
In advance of the Tour starting tomorrow, here is an interesting article in the NY Times about Taylor Phinney and his recovery from his extensive injuries.

He also tried not to complain. After all, how could he when his father — once so physical that he was nicknamed Thor — was battling Parkinson’s disease and having trouble with his mobility?

“I thought about how my life would be so different without cycling,” Taylor Phinney said in a telephone call on Thursday. “I learned so much about the grand scale of the world and how small the cycling bubble is within this whole scheme of things. And that life would be O.K. for me if I never raced a bike again.”

And of course, the Tour Day Schmalz preview
. :)

Last edited:

MsZem

I see the sea
Yikes, I've clearly been out of the loop - I barely recognize any of the names anymore!

I wonder if I can watch any of it on the last day (not on the Champs Elysees, that will surely be horrifically crowded).

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Outside Online article about the ever interesting Peter Sagan

Sagan trains at altitude near Lake Tahoe and Park City, Utah, and he has a particular fondness for IHOP and muscle cars. A couple of years ago, after he signed a contract with the Tinkoff-Saxo team, reportedly worth between $4.4 million and $6.5 million a year, he started shopping around for a replica of the General Lee from The Dukes of Hazzard. (Apparently, the show is still big in Slovakia.)

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
:eek: Really disagree with today's decision.

I'm shocked. I turned the tv off right after the stage and just read the news now. I'll have to see how bad the crash was, but it's very unusual for them to take this sort of strong action against such a prominent cyclist and popular rider.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
It was a gruesome crash, but it's fairly obvious IMO that Cav was falling and destabilizing Sagan before the elbow motion.

Watching Cav's head under the one wheel was horrifying. :yikes:

morqet

rising like a phoenix
It was a gruesome crash, but it's fairly obvious IMO that Cav was falling and destabilizing Sagan before the elbow motion.

Watching Cav's head under the one wheel was horrifying. :yikes:

Falling because Sagan had cut across his line. Cav was on Demare's wheel, Sagan decides he wants to use Demare as well, moves off his line to the right and forces Cavendish into the barrier. It wasn't really the elbow that he was disqualified for (and I doubt there was anything malicious in it), but it was the reckless and dangerous riding before that. Relevant UCI rule:

2.3.036 Sprints
Riders shall be strictly forbidden to deviate from the lane they selected when launching into the sprint and, in so doing, endangering others.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
Falling because Sagan had cut across his line. Cav was on Demare's wheel, Sagan decides he wants to use Demare as well, moves off his line to the right and forces Cavendish into the barrier. It wasn't really the elbow that he was disqualified for (and I doubt there was anything malicious in it), but it was the reckless and dangerous riding before that. Relevant UCI rule:

2.3.036 Sprints
Riders shall be strictly forbidden to deviate from the lane they selected when launching into the sprint and, in so doing, endangering others.

I know.

Honestly, Demare was the reckless one. He cut across and almost took out Buhanni. Sagan reacted to get on Demare's wheel, which he had to if he was going to have a shot at winning the race. Cav had the same idea, but was behind Sagan, and took the even riskier move of going so close to the wall. He was forcing himself into a gap that essentially closed because of Demare.

This is a gray area of the sport. Sprints are hectic. My real issue is that this punishment is very inconsistent with past similar instances.
While it may be cited that the ruling came down to lanes, Dimension Data pushed for DQ based on the narrative of the elbow being dirty.

It's pretty clear that there are several teams that would have an interest in lobbying for Sagan's DQ. Whose in Green now?

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
So sad about all the crashes on Sunday. I have to start following the green jersey competition more closely now, because it looks like yellow will be a boring competition. But some of my favorite sprinters are gone too. :(

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
This is actually getting interesting. 10 guys can still win the GC.

MsZem

I see the sea
I wonder if I can watch any of it on the last day (not on the Champs Elysees, that will surely be horrifically crowded).
I braved the crowds at the Concorde (in the end it wasn't that bad) and got to see the riders do their loops around the Champs Elysees and the Tuilleries. Which was fun :)

kedrin

Thanks for posting, GK. I've been a bit quiet, but I really enjoyed this years tour. More for the 'side races', for want of a better word than the GC race. I really enjoyed watching Team Cannondale rally around Rigoberto Uran and team Sunweb support each other. Also nice to watch Taylor Phinney in his first tour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information