Craig Simpson & Jamie Sale

screech

When we were in 'peak' covid in 2020, I got called a 'Karen' for asking someone in a line to stay the mandated 6 ft from me. I also get side eyed when I take the subway, as I still choose to wear a mask when I'm in an enclosed space with lots of people.
Always makes me wonder who the 'sheep' are here.

jackson

When we were in 'peak' covid in 2020, I got called a 'Karen' for asking someone in a line to stay the mandated 6 ft from me. I also get side eyed when I take the subway, as I still choose to wear a mask when I'm in an enclosed space with lots of people.
Always makes me wonder who the 'sheep' are here.
How pray tell does this have anything related to Ms. Sale or figure skating??

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
A (also quickly unfriended) Facebook friend compared being forced to wear a mask and vaccinated with (don't ask me for the logic) Jews being forced to wear the yellow star. This is in Germany, by the way.
This was actually quite commonly used by anti-vaxxers in the US pre-Covid actually (not the mask part, but they did protest childhood vaccine requirements by wearing yellow stars that said "non-vax" on them). Sad that it has spread.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
A (also quickly unfriended) Facebook friend compared being forced to wear a mask and vaccinated with (don't ask me for the logic) Jews being forced to wear the yellow star. This is in Germany, by the way.
I had a FB friend (who was a friend in real life) compare vaccines to the yellow star too. I called him out on it on his FB post and he blocked me. We haven't spoken since and I have zero regrets.

As for Sale, I would hope her family would intervene but I suspect she's in too deep now.

barbarafan

Because the people judging me for being safe seem to have have similar viewpoints to her?
Sorry for your problems with those who followed the mask instructions just because they had to , not because it made sense to. Many thousands of PPL had Omnicron and passed it on and didn't know it as they were asymtomatic. I got it and was asymtomatic so only knew because of tests. Although we do not have to I always wear a mask when I go out and sanitize hands and cart so that if for some reason I picked it up again I would not pass it on.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The Canadian health care system is overwhelmed right now. Pediatric wards and emergency units in hospitals are understaffed and have hours-long waits (the emergency unit at our region's children's hospital had a nine-hour waiting time last weekend). A lot of that is because of transmissible viruses that might have been under control right now if it wasn't for the misinformation being spread by people like Jamie.

And as long as she bills herself as "Olympic gold medalist" and "world champion" to give some perceived credibility to her views, then discussing her on this board is relevant.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
The Canadian health care system is overwhelmed right now. Pediatric wards and emergency units in hospitals are understaffed and have hours-long waits (the emergency unit at our region's children's hospital had a nine-hour waiting time last weekend). A lot of that is because of transmissible viruses that might have been under control right now if it wasn't for the misinformation being spread by people like Jamie.
But at a certain point, people have to be held responsible for their own actions and take control of their own learning. The people reading Tweets by Jamie clearly have a connection to the internet and can also do the research on their own (from actual professionals in the field) if they so choose. Liking her posts or even using them as a 'source' is almost always just backing up what people already think. In rural USA, as I'm from such a region, people think they know better in their bubble of a world yet their friends circle is all very (literally) vanilla and their information sources are typically said friends and family (ex. "Nobody voted for [fill in the blank]. I don't know a single person! It's all fake!"). And there are also said people that are annoyed by mainstream and supposed groupthink and will just argue the opposite every time, which in turn makes them get the attention they apparently need.

Figure skating is a bubble but if people are really formulating their opinions based on what one Jamie Sale says, then I feel very sorry for their bubble lives. And same for anyone else randomly writing things on the internet. It would be different if children were reading such concepts in required school books, pre-internet, and literally didn't have a means to learn otherwise.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Jamie and people like her spreading misinformation are just as much to blame as people who take what she says at face value and don't investigate it. Plus she has the "credibility" factor of being a well-known athlete, which a crazy uncle on Facebook doesn't have. Surely someone who was a successful athlete knows what is and isn't safe to put into your body, right?

tony

Jamie and people like her spreading misinformation are just as much to blame as people who take what she says at face value and don't investigate it. Plus she has the "credibility" factor of being a well-known athlete, which someone's crazy uncle on Facebook doesn't have. Surely someone who was a successful athlete knows what is and isn't safe to put into your body, right?
If 20 other athletes that said person follows say the opposite and the person still listens to Jamie's side, there was no hope to begin with. They are seeking out further 'evidence' of what they A) already either think or B) want to push as a means of being rebellious against the established norm.

I would hope Jamie Sale isn't at the top of anyone's most favorite athlete list... but this would be a Canadian population-specific problem, I guess.

tony

Someone being stupid is not a justification or an excuse for someone else being stupid.
....Which is the point I was making and countering against what you said. Jamie Sale being stupid is not justification for everyone else not doing the research.

screech

I'll probably jinx myself, but I'm yet to test positive. I wear a mask in enclosed public spaces because while I can trust myself, I can't trust those around me to A. know whether or not they're carrying any viruses, or B. care about others.

Right now, Jamie and those like her are coming across a bit like Jenny McCarthy 20 years ago - spreading misinformation based on the word of some, that can have a real serious effect on those who listen.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
A casual acquaintance of mine - who is NOT a skating fan - just posted Jamie's sexual assault comparison Tweet graphic in her instagram stories with the text "TRUTH!!!!" over top of it. I am really sad and angry at the same time. And I have deleted and blocked said acquaintance.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@screech Jenny McCarthy is an excellent example. For all the screaming about "do your own research", the study that she and others were holding up as a reason to be paranoid about vaccines had major flaws that you don't need to be a scientist to see. Likewise with a lot of the anti-Covid "experts" and their "evidence ".

Last edited:

VGThuy

And the issue is that so many hard science/medical issues really require actual study and expertise to even begin to mount a credible challenge, but a lot of people hang on to quacks who peddle scientific buzzwords and phrases that many studious medical and hard science majors would be able to poke holes in because they really have no idea what they’re talking about. No amount of google research is going to replace an actual education on these subjects, but too many people think they’re much smarter and knowledgeable than they really are. It’s also easier when you accept falsities and misinformation as truth as well.

A huge part of the anti-vaccine and anti-whatever crowd is a way to stick it to “experts” who they see as eggheads who think they are better than everyone else and can “play God” with their lives…well, we’ll show them! They believe they should be considered equal authorities to those who have earned multiple degrees and have devoted their life to serious substantive research and analysis…the being paid off by the government and bought off by big pharma is just another tool to discredit the “experts”. All in all, it’s an insecure projection from people who believe their screaming and Google research should be seen as equal to years of devotion to actual education and study.

People who have observed Jamie and seen her talk and listened/read her interviews should know not to listen to her as an authority on anything. But there are seriously impressionable people out there and when they work in groups, they somehow become even more “persuasive”. That’s why there are laws protecting people from these types but you can’t protect them from everything nor can you completely ban people from speaking their minds on the Internet. Private sites and social media outlets can on their own sites but that’s all you can do.

honey

There are times when I wonder if she had her children vaccinated when they were little and this is a more recent opinion influenced by Q nuts and the Covid pandemic
🤔
I think it is likely a very recent opinion that developed during the pandemic.

At least with her son, she mentioned in several interviews when he was little that they’d had him vaccinated.

This article is from 2008.

https://people.com/parents/jamie-saledave/

canbelto

If you guys look at Jamie's IG, she really goes off the rails around February of this year. Her IG changes from the usual collection of pets, vacations, family, and old skating photos and now it's this Q shit all day, every day.

ribbon

The reason I care about what Q anon says is:

1. social media spreads the info faster to a low informed, high consuming group of people; as much as I want to believe people are smarter than believing it, it’s a significant number of people who do

but for me, it’s my empathetic nature to really be concerned that

2. Each of these people, such as Jamie, have friends and family who have to deal with their loved one becoming consumed into this paranoid fire and this ridiculous conspiracy theory is ruining relationships and breaking hearts…then the family can become further divided with those who follow, those who ignore, those who push back. It’s just a sad, tragic mess.

As for me, I’m in a “blue“ city but know two people dabbling.

one is an older woman who goes to a small, rural church in the town she grew up in. She drives out of her way to go there and has done tons of charity work with them over many decades. Their paster is a q anon nut now. She still goes. She has connections to the church and won’t leave. She doesn’t believe in the conspiracy theory but she offers no pushback whatsoever and she told me with a sigh that she’s seen many longtime friends become paranoid with fear over elections, immigrants, vaccines, etc. Yet, it’s “God’s will” that this happened at her church and there’s nothing she can do. Argh. She used to be a very bubbly person, she’s now rather reserved and world weary.

Another is a professor. She’s extremely left wing, loves alternative medicine but now she doesn’t believe in any vaccines at all, not polio, not smallpox. It’s all big pharma hoax. I push back and she’s giving me some articles of an actual doctor in Arizona (one) who agrees with her. It’s impossible to reason with her, so she’s out of my life. She s gone from being a joyful person to a bitter one. But, she still teaches….Biology. Agh. I feel So sorry for her wife, who looks like she’s aged twenty years who is a teacher too and has remained a vaccine supporter. she Confided that she decided to finally stop fighting because she still loves her (together twenty Five years) and feels sorry for her because her circle of professor friends has dwindled, and her sister cut off contact. The fear is if more people leave, the woman would only Go further down a rabbit hole. She hopes every day the madness will stop.

Last edited:

Judy

And as long as she bills herself as "Olympic gold medalist" and "world champion" to give some perceived credibility to her views, then discussing her on this board is relevant.
She’s in a cult too so oblivious to the harm. She would have to be deradicalized .. which can be complicated.

Last edited:

canbelto

If you look at Jamie's IG, she seems to have cut herself off completely from her former life. The figure skating community is pretty tightknit, and I've noticed that decades after people have retired, they still seem to gather at meets and shows. Not Jamie. She only hangs out with "Canadians for Truth."

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information