'New Quad Kings' are IceNetwork's People of the Year for 2015-16 (+ the other 7 nominee articles)

Sylvia

TBD
For pushing the technical limits of the sport in ways never seen before, a quartet of teenagers -- USA's Nathan Chen, Boyang Jin of China, Daniel Samohin of Israel and Shoma Uno of Japan -- are the 2015-16 icenetwork People of the Year.

'New Quad Kings' pushed technical limits of sport
Jin, Chen, Uno, Samohin made us rethink what's possible in men's skating

Posted 5/24/16 by Amy Rosewater, special to icenetwork
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2016/05/24/178839720

The other nominee article links:

Last edited:

Spun Silver

Hmm. Congrats to all the new quad kings, but to my mind, it was Yuzuru who started the ball rolling on the multi-quad programs with sky-high scores and Javi gets credit as well. Plus, all these guys except Uno are still half-baked artistically, and Uno is a different kind of quad jumper -- he doesn't do a gazillion in one event, and he is an artiste -- putting him in the same category as Boyang Jin doesn't make sense to me. Third, as soon as Nathan pulled off his great feat, he hurt himself doing... another quad, launching a big debate about how safe or wise the emphasis on multiple quads is.

Personally, I liked some of Ice Network's other nominees better. I don't mean to minimize these guys at all, but I would rather see the award going to more complete skaters. Or Boston -- I liked that nominee. :)

ETA: Now that I see Sylvia linked the other nominees, I like ALL of them better than this one. :/

Last edited:

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I found the article on Hanyu interesting. I focused on his record score, and his many quads. But I honestly think think that just as big as his great technical elements was the programs he used this year.

Both his programs are so artistic and beautiful. His free skate particularly, very unique and very well performed. I think ending on a beat is courageous - he cannot end before or after, but ends right at an exclamation point. I think having that sort of performances, coupled with the technical difficulty is what makes Hanyu so special this season.

MAXSwagg

Yeah, but did he really inspire more people to go for it? The efforts to dismiss Jin's role for inspiring others to go for more quads including the top skaters is just ludicrous.

Inspired who? Jin did not inspire Yuzu to do two quads in the SP. This is a rampant misconception. He was already thinking of doing this before Skate Canada even ended (during the Gala practices he was tinkering around).

Jin may be technically proficient (even that's debatable) but the skating of all four of the named skaters, at this point, leaves much to be desired when compared to the top three men (Patrick/Yuzu/Javi). Frankly, the quads of all four of these skaters are not that good, for the most part.

VGThuy

I think the point is that these four are the start of a new dawn in Men's skating and will inspired the future generation to have multiple quads in their repertoire the way killing compulsory figures with Tonya and Midori leading the charge changed the game for ladies skaters who now needed to attempt a full arsenal of triples to be competitive. I did think it was sort of odd that Yuzu isn't included but maybe he's seen an older generation rather than a sign of the changing tides.

ninjapirate

Inspired who? Jin did not inspire Yuzu to do two quads in the SP. This is a rampant misconception. He was already thinking of doing this before Skate Canada even ended (during the Gala practices he was tinkering around).

Yeah, I'm sure it's a complete accident he didn't go for two quads at Skate Canada and then went for two quads when he was going up against Jin after Jin was successful at Cup of China... and I'm sure Yuzuru didn't see this from last September...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr-6rB4UlZU&feature=youtu.be

ninjapirate

You're delusional. Also seem to like spreading false information...

Oh please, Hanyu had 5 previous seasons to do a 2 quad SP and doesn't do it until someone else did it first he was directly competing against.

ninjapirate

You can believe what you want to believe. But it's incorrect...

Without Jin, Hanyu doesn't do a 2 quad SP at NHK nor at the GPF... period. You can choose to believe he had this 2 quad SP planned the whole time despite the fact he went to two competitions only doing one.

Meoima

Oh please, Hanyu had 5 previous seasons to do a 2 quad SP and doesn't do it until someone else did it first he was directly competing against.
He trained for 2 quads SP at Skate Canada practice already because he did Zayak. And Brian Orser confirmed it in the interview they changed the SP was because of Skate Canada Zayak. You can look up the interview Brian Orser did with Goldenskate. Personally I believe in his coach's words, not some assumption and speculation.

Last edited:

Tahuu

Jin may be technically proficient (even that's debatable) but the skating of all four of the named skaters, at this point, leaves much to be desired when compared to the top three men (Patrick/Yuzu/Javi). Frankly, the quads of all four of these skaters are not that good, for the most part.

Here's some data to support your claim that these four youngters' quads are not that good, ;).

Highest scoring 4Lz: 15.74 (GOE 2.14) Boyang Jin
Highest scoring 4S: 14.55 (GOE 3.00) Javier Fernandez
Highest scoring 4T: 13.76 (GOE 2.43) Nathan Chen
Highest scoring 4F: 13.06 (GOE 0.76) Shoma Uno

Meoima

Here it is, the thought of 2 quads SP was mostly because they wanted to avoid Zayak again, and his quad sal has become stable as much as his quad toe. http://www.goldenskate.com/2015/12/yuzuru-hanyu-4/
----
Looking at the extraterrestrial scores he has recently produced, it is hard to believe that only a month ago the three-time GPF winner finished only sixth in short program segment at Skate Canada due to two invalid jumping passes which had no credit at all. However, that humble experience turned into the catalyst for the greater performances afterwards.

I knew that after Skate Canada we had to make a change,” said coach Brian Orser. “My change was a little bit more conservative, and his change was more ambitious.”

The ambitious change was to upgrade the solo quadruple jump from a quad toe to a quad Salchow, and then upgrade the first jump of the combination from a triple Lutz to a quad toe.

By doing this, we can avoid what happened at Skate Canada,” Orser explained.

MAXSwagg

Here's some data to support your claim that these four youngters' quads are not that good, ;).

Highest scoring 4Lz: 15.74 (GOE 2.14) Boyang Jin
Highest scoring 4S: 14.55 (GOE 3.00) Javier Fernandez
Highest scoring 4T: 13.76 (GOE 2.43) Nathan Chen
Highest scoring 4F: 13.06 (GOE 0.76) Shoma Uno

One quad out of how many attempted/executed? And why did you include Javier? He's even older than Hanyu! And I don't count that 4F, which is more like a 3.25F given the excessive pre-rotation...

Meoima

Personally I think Icenetwork's choices are so much biased and unfair. Last year Liza won everything and they ignored her, this year Evegnia won everything and even broke records but they also ignore her. maybe to them, the choices should often have at least one person from North America.

Reactions: Lys

Tahuu

One quad out of how many attempted/executed? And why did you include Javier? He's even older than Hanyu! And I don't count that 4F, which is more like a 3.25F given the excessive pre-rotation...

Good quads score high by the judges, not what we claim them to be. You can see 3 out of 4 highest scoring quads to date were done by the youngsters.

Meoima

Do we have the list of ice network's people of the year over the years? I wonder how many of the choices have had non North American people? ;)

Meoima

Huh? She is one of the nominees :huh:
Did they choose her? Same with Liza. They both won everything respectively in one season. Liza even came back from the bottom. She was the first lady to perform a clean 4 triples short program. Is there any reason they shouldn't be chosen?

clairecloutier

Did they choose her? Same with Liza. They both won everything respectively in one season. Liza even came back from the bottom. Is there any reason they shouldn't be chosen? Other than... Maybe because they're...well... Russians?

Why would you assume they didn't win because they're Russian? maybe Hanyu didn't win because he's Japanese? :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information