Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Tuktamysheva

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Elena Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Elizaveta Tuktamysheva for ria.ru

She is unique in Russian figure skating. Probably in the world figure skating. A rising start at the 2011-12 season at the age of 15 with a victory on both GP events and a junior Olympics and nothing for the next 3 years. A triumph come back at 2015, when she picked all the possible titles - the GPF, Europeans and the Worlds and disappearing again.
Tuktamysheva talks to Vaytsekhovskaya about recovering the 3A, which year was the defining for her and why the Olympic champion Pluschenko has no reason inviting her to his academy.

EV: I know you were dreaming participating the Olympics, and yet twice - before Sochi and Korea you showed your probably worst skating in the defining events. Is it destiny? That Olympics are not about you?
ET: I had many different feelings about it and I came to terms with it. Hence now I take anything as a given: everyone has a sports destiny, their way and their actions they have to follow. Hence I take calmly all that happens to me. Am quite satisfied with my last season and the current work. I made a lot of mistakes the last 3 seasons and hope the defeats will be compensated in a way.

EV: I was re-reading one of your interviews over the summer and thought you were as if telling yourself if something goes wrong and I won't be able to come back and be competitive on the top - oh well. It's for a reason.
ET: It is true in a way.

EV: Then why recover the 3A?
ET: To overcome my fears, be stronger than Liza, who skated a year ago, 3 years ago and even 5 years ago when first winning the nationals. It's not about the comparison to the little girls. I just try to improve every practice. Of course I would love to come back this year and participate the main competitions. But every time I start thinking about it I lose my rhythm. Hence I stopped thinking about the future: I just do my job and try to be reasonable at the practices and the competitions

EV: The same interview you said none of the old injuries bothers you anymore. How did you manage it? Have you changed the preparations system or just take your muscles more seriously?
ET: The only injury that I still have is the back injury. To heal it completely I needed 1.5 years. At the same time I learned to prepare my feet to the boots breaking and the training in general - I know where to put the silicon adds so the legs would be always comfortable. Thanks to all that I forgot what is it pain in my legs. It's so great skating when nothing hurts! So after going through all these injuries I found a way to prevent them. I now learned really well letting the discomfort deteriorate till the injury is a no go - anything that feels wrong must be mended immediately. And of course we do put a lot of stress on the physical and special preparations, so the body would be ready for all the figure skating elements. Unfortunately, understanding how important those things are only comes with the age.

EV: How long did it take you to recover mentally from the previous season?
ET: It was surprisingly easy. We started preparing to the new season after the nationals and despite the 7th place, which I can't really count as a success I was quite satisfied with how the work went. All my thoughts suddenly became very clear. Starting February we were working on the new elements, were learning new jumping combinations. And I was really having a great time skating. In April we choreographed 2 new programmes that I just love. The work was so fruitful that at the end of the season I started landing the 3A. And with these feelings it was easy to recover the jump when we got back to work after the vacation. The summer preparations were quite good as well, in my point of view.

EV: I recall in 2015 you said the first time you landed the 3A at the competition you had goosebumps and it was an amazing feeling. Yet you were entering the jump as a suicide. What have changed now?
ET: I still remember the goosebumps. I can't say it became easier mentally, but am not as nervous anymore before the jump. I was landing the 3A in St. Petersburg test skates in the warm up. Am not yet as consistent as I would like to be, but am confident: yes, it's my jump, I can land it. I learned to land the 3A with less speeding up - it's enough doing half a circle to enter the jump and land it. In 2015 I needed a whole circle.

EV: That season I recall how you and Aleksei Mishin surprised everyone with the amount of the competition you participated - before the Nationals you went through 7 competitions, including the GPF and won 6 of them. Do you plan doing the same this season?
ET: Am not yet certain which competitions I will participate. Am certain about the Lombardia Trophy, where we'll go after the test skates in Moscow. Then perhaps another B competition or one of the Challenger and then I'll prepare for the GPs in Canada and Japan.

EV: Before the ISU have changed the rules about the jumps at the 2nd part of the programme, have you considered changing the usual layout?
ET: We did try to change it. But guess am so used to the usual content that I understood from the very beginning: I'd better skate the whole programme clean even if the last 3 elements would not be the hardest and beat with the quality of the jumps. With the current system, if I understand it right, it's exactly what the judges want to see: the better execution of the elements, the better jumps, higher, more time in the air. If moving all the jumps to the end of the programme doubt it will be possible to perform them as well as at the first part. Hence the programme will not look that well. That's the reason when we started working on the new programmes we made a decision to leave the old content with just some minor adjustments.

EV: Speaking of the rules changes, I think they are for the benefit of the older skaters.
ET: I thought so two. The first emotion after reading the new rules was that it was done for the skaters whose forte is a mature gorgeous skating. And not a 3z3r at the end of the programme.

EV: Did it inspire you?
ET: In a way, yes. There is now a hope to be able to compete with the younger skaters.

EV: During the last two season you trained quite a lot together with Carolina Kostner. What was the most interesting experience?
ET: It was interesting just to watch Carolina training. Of course Mishin gave us almost the same things to do. But Kostner's approach to work, her thoughts, the way she warms up, sets herself for the skate - it was very educational for me. I tried to copy some of the things and understood how important it is to find the inner spine, the feeling of the right work. Carolina has a very mature approach. Her health, for example. She is not young and had some injuries. In the last years she found an amazing inner harmony. She skates amazingly.

EV: Who were you rooting for at the Olympics? Kostner?
ET: For Medvedeva. I think she deserved the gold medal more than anyone else.

EV: Did Carolina participate the summer training camps in Courchevel and Tartu?
ET: No, she didn't come there. But I don't think she is going to retire yet.

EV: Do you believe she can continue being as successful?
ET: Watching how much she wants and loves to skate I think she can do quite well at the competitions.

EV: Did you mind when you haven't made it to the main competition and Mishin focused on the Italian?
ET: We also have Tatiana Prokofieva in the group, who, as a second coach, sometimes replaces Mishin. So it was fine. Many coaches have 5-6 elite skaters and have enough time to give attention to everyone. Alexey Mishin did just fine as well.

EV: Does it matter for you who stands near the border during the practices and the competitions?
ET: In the recent years it just happened Mishin and Prokofieva came to all the main competitions, so I haven't even thought about it. Mishin and Prokofieva have been working together for so long - they have the same system, the same approach to a lot of things. Which, of course, is even more comfortable when one of the coaches is not there. They also know exactly how to set the athlete in the right mood for the competition. They need no shrinks.

EV: What are 3 main things that happened over the summer in your life?
ET: The most emotions are about the 3A. In July I landed it for the first time clean.

EV: In Courchevel?
ET: No, by then we already moved to Tartu. For me it's a city of destiny: I first started landing the 3A in Tartu and came back there again. Guess there are some special conditions that suit me, some special aura that gives the athlete some confidence. I was never so confident about the 3A in the off season. When it started working it was like a breath of a fresh air. There were some other amazing moments. I started landing a 3z3t combination. And, guess I should mention the new programmes. When I love the programmes so much and I manage to skate them clean it's a very emotional experience.

EV: What will you remember outside the ice and the trainings?
ET: Unfortunately nothing special happened this summer.

ЕV: Not even a new dress?
ET: Even if I did buy something the emotions were not nearly as strong as the jumps. Guess my life rotates around the ice anyway.

EV: In how many shows you constantly participate?
ET: None. I decided not to waste my time on the shows and concentrate on the professional work only, hence I decline all.

EV: Do you often get invited?
ET: Yes, I can reveal it was hard declining some of the offers. But I had to: it's hard creating a schedule that includes the travels and practices and find several free days. For now the sport is the most important.

EV: Did you have a chance to visit the Academy your coach's pupil Pluschenko opened in Moscow?
ET: No, never.

EV: Didn’t Zhenya invite you there?
ET: No. I think he knows I would never leave Alexey Nikolaevich. Hence no point inviting me.

EV: Your current sports plans end up with one season or the whole Olympic cycle?
ET: I don't really like deciding in advance, but think more than one season. When I think I might end up without the competitions, the sports, the practices, without all that hype my heart misses a bit. I am not ready to leave figure skating, I will skate for as long as I feel I have the power. I love it. It's a huge stress, but it's so interesting. Hence I will just say now I plan skating for the next 2 years and then we'll see.

EV: What are you afraid of about leaving the sports?
ET: I don't know. The retirement, I think, is a major step for an athlete. And a very hard. After all it's leaving the most full and the most interesting part of your life that demanded you to give up everything for so many years. Perhaps I'll miss the adrenaline, people, who surround me now. When I start thinking the end of my career is not so far away I feel very sad. It's hard to accept. Hence I chase away such thoughts for now.

EV: Many of Mishin's pupil after retiring stay and work with him. Do you see yourself in that company?
ET: I thought about it. But as I said, for now I put such thoughts into a black box in my head and will think of it when the time is right. Of course am almost certain after retiring life will bring me to figure skating again in some other role. But I don't know yet how and where exactly will it happen.

EV: If am not mistaken you are studying in the sports university.
ET: Right, am doing the 3rd year.

EV: Is it hard?
ET: Fortunately the lecturers understand what kind of sports am part of and how demanding the practices are. I do the exams externally when I can't visit the uni. I come to the lecturers, they give the assignment and do it in my free time. In general it's not too hard. The most important is that I have to study things I know more or less anyway and what I will need in my future sports profession.

EV: How would you describe your state before the test skates? Nervousness, fear that the new season had almost began or you are looking forward?
ET: Uplifted, because I want to show my new programmes so badly both to the federation and the public. And I think am in a pretty good shape right now. Hence we decided to participate the test skates that took place in St. Petersburg.

EV: Have you skated both programmes in the test skates?
ET: Yes, but without the 3A. I only landed it during the warm up to show I have it.

EV: Do you plan to kill your rivals morally with the 3A in Moscow?
ET: I plan landing it twice in the warm up. Before the SP in Novogorsk and before the LP in Moscow. I'll just have to find the spot during the 6 minutes warm up in Moscow - there are so many elements everyone needs to do, it might be a problem.

EV: What do you expect of this season?
ET: I don't think the new rules will cause a revolution. The rivals are known, I don't think anyone will experiment too much with the programmes. Of course I judge by myself: when you do the same set of elements year after year it's hard to make a decision to change something. To make the progarmme harder - yes, that you should at least attempt. But changing the programme layout completely - I think not many will dare. Especially with the new rules.

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Um... dunno, she sounds like Leonova/Suguri - having no idea what to do next and just keep doing what she knows how to...

starrynight

I love Liza, she's got some spunk.

She truly does seem revitalised. You can tell from her social media presence that she is psyching herself up to be confident this season. And I do like the way she's continuing to train and compete with a healthy uplifted attitude. I think she's a great role model for the sport.

I've loved her ever since that amazing 2014/2015 season and I'm very grateful that she's remained in the sport when the careers of other Russian ladies have been much shorter. I enjoy following her and I am glad that we will continue to see her skate for at least another 2 seasons.

I think it's promising that she's excited to show her new programs and her 3A. I have my fingers crossed for her!

It was also interesting to read she has been turning down offers to skate in shows. I'm sure she would have been in demand for some of those given her status as world champ - and her ability to speak fluent English probably assists potential participation.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
At least she sounds motivated, which is great! There were times when it felt to me as if she was lacking motivation and was skating only because she didn’t know what else to do with her life.

starrynight

I just saw Liza's post on Instagram where she says (in her English translation):

My previous interview had a huge response, I want to clear up something. First of all, I'm always for the truth. I don't care what people are going to say in comments on the big sport websites - I don't afraid to tell my point of view without insincerity. Also a lot of people are saying about correctness of my statements: in life there are no such terms as "right" and "not right". If something right to you it doesn't mean it will be right for others. Be more kind and love sport!))

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnTZwiZleSE/?hl=en&taken-by=liza_tuktik

What is the fuss about? Is it about this interview? I was pretty surprised as the interview is interesting but uncontroversial. I am gathering from some of the comments it is just all about Liza saying she was rooting for Medvedeva at the Olympics? Is it just Zagitova uber fans on attack mode?

Last edited:

Ka3sha

What is the fuss about? Is it about this interview? I was pretty surprised as the interview is interesting but uncontroversial. I am gathering from some of the comments it is just all about Liza saying she was rooting for Medvedeva at the Olympics? Is it just Zagitova uber fans on attack mode?
Exactly :wall:

Bigbird

Um... dunno, she sounds like Leonova/Suguri - having no idea what to do next and just keep doing what she knows how to...

And Voronov. It's a pity they don't have a process for helping them with that transition. Or maybe that should be the role of family?

Because let's face it, singles skating is about much more than the 3A, even if clean.

But in her defence, her candour is refreshing without being disrespectful, with the slight exception being her comment about shows. These could help her PCS, maybe?

bardtoob

I love her skating. I am glad she still likes it.

It sounds like she is going to Uni for Sport (coaching), and I think that would encourage Mishin to continue with her.

Tinami Amori

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnTZwiZleSE/?hl=en&taken-by=liza_tuktik

The fuss is not about Tuk saying she wanted Medvedeva to win, but saying Medvedeva should be the Gold winner. Also, later Tuk took a sling at the value and importance of "3Z/3R" combo after stressing the importance of her 3A. It sounded like what she is doing is valuable and what others are doing is not.

ET: I thought so two. The first emotion after reading the new rules was that it was done for the skaters whose forte is a mature gorgeous skating. And not a 3z3r at the end of the programme.

I did not comment on her IG or anywhere, but now that the issue came up, i think Tuk took a cheap shot at the ladies who can do something more difficult that she can't....

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
She has a beautiful personality to match her exterior. Wishing her good luck both on and off the ice.

starrynight

I think mastering a 3A is as good a reason to continue training and competing as any other. It's a very difficult jump and only a select few senior skaters have achieved it.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
The first emotion after reading the new rules was that it was done for the skaters whose forte is a mature gorgeous skating. And not a 3z3r at the end of the programme.

:rofl:

You say this like it’s a bad thing? :p

anonymoose_au

And Voronov. It's a pity they don't have a process for helping them with that transition. Or maybe that should be the role of family?

Whaaat?! Aren't you excited Sergei's continuing? I sure am, he's just fabulous! :)

I love Liza and I think it's great that she's still skating - it's not like she's that old, only 21! I say go for it!

zebraswan

Because let's face it, singles skating is about much more than the 3A, even if clean.

But in her defence, her candour is refreshing without being disrespectful, with the slight exception being her comment about shows. These could help her PCS, maybe?

What in the world are you even talking about? :confused: Sergei has been coaching on the side for awhile now, and yes CSKA helps him with that. And he WANTS to keep skating, as does Liza. Why is that such a hard concept? If someone is 21 or 31 and they are healthy and doing what they enjoy...why in the world should they stop? Neither one of them is remotely like Fumie Sugiri :rolleyes: who couldn't even qualify to Nationals in the last years of her career. Sergei just won a Grand Prix last season and had the best results of his whole career. Liza would be a top skater for any other country, but it's not her fault that Russia has so many good girls.

Clearly some here do not understand the mindset of an athlete at all. Even Fumie had compelling personal reasons to keep going, and that was her right and she certainly doesn't seem to regret it. They all have plenty of decades ahead of them to sit at home and play couch critic like you.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Yeah. How many of them can do a 3A, again? :lol:

3A is a very difficult jump. It's irrelevant if "other ladies can do it", some can.... And 3A has not helped Tuk lately to get on the podium.

What's relevant is Tuk praising her "difficult jump/3A" and sees it as her big accomplishment, while dissing a different difficult jump "3Z/3R" which is specific to few of girls she is competing against. And then again brags about being able to do 3z3t... :D

Sounds stupid, "my 3A and my 3z3t is what's important" but ""3Z/3R" is not.. :D

Tuk is known for her "athleticism" and jumps, not "feminine skating style" (as the russians call it) or a superb artistry. She is known as a "strong athletic skater". And yet in this article, ironically, she is praising "mature skating" over jumps.. Outside of her formerly strong jumps she is not known for "mature skating" Caro shows for example.. Tuk's "artistic" range is very limited, pretty much "gypsy shoulder shakes", "latin hip shakes" and "egyptian hands" and in a very banal "cabaret style". Her strength are jumps and yet she is dissing jumps... :lol: (other skaters' jumps, not hers).

And this exchange is very dumb..... Tuk is basically saying that she will attempts 3A in the warm up to "psych out other girls", and says nothing about doing it in the programme... :lol:

EV: Have you skated both programmes in the test skates?
ET: Yes, but without the 3A. I only landed it during the warm up to show I have it.

EV: Do you plan to kill your rivals morally with the 3A in Moscow?
ET: I plan landing it twice in the warm up. Before the SP in Novogorsk and before the LP in Moscow. I'll just have to find the spot during the 6 minutes warm up in Moscow - there are so many elements everyone needs to do, it might be a problem.

Based on her tweets, IG, this and other latest interviews, she sounds a bit bitter that her time has passed.... She is a nice girl otherwise, hope she finds something interesting to do after skating.

Tinami Amori

Liza is only going to be 22 right around the time of this year's GPF. Retire? Why would she at 22 years old?
She does not have to retire if she wants to skate and qualifies for competition.

At the same time, she is not placing higher than 9-8-7 at last few Rus. Nat. and GP events; she did slightly better at Challenger and B-events. I think last time she placed is in 2016 at Nebelhorn, and it was not a strong field.

Also, i don't see her invited to skate at many commercial shows and productions, even compared to other "mature" skaters who are not on the World Team and even compared to some who have not skated competitively for several years. I can't recall if she had any parts in Plush, Aver, Navka or any shows lately (maybe she did but i can't think of any).

Everybody wants to be like Savchenko..... but they need to have "Savchenko's talent, dedication, bite and drive" to do that... :D

Sylvia

TBD
Also, i don't see her invited to skate at many commercial shows and productions
From her interview:

ET: None. I decided not to waste my time on the shows and concentrate on the professional work only, hence I decline all.

ET: Yes, I can reveal it was hard declining some of the offers. But I had to: it's hard creating a schedule that includes the travels and practices and find several free days. For now the sport is the most important.

Tinami Amori

From her interview:

I think Tuk is very nervous in the upcoming season and a bit confused, and says strange things lately..

She has not refused any shows so far in 2018 (yet they were only 1 day out of town shows, or galas)….. and as far as known in public, she does not have a sponsor or a source of income other than the basic support every competitive skater gets from the Federation.

Novogorsk town, Feb 2018 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHgSlYyNDJQ
“Together forever” March 2018 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r3Y1h9ZmG0
“Gala of champions” March 2018 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOkPO_VnTSw
“Mishin’s Camp Gala” May 2018 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzJO9A-kXs8

The big production theatrical touring shows, by Plush, Navka, Averbukh, seems did not make offers, and there was somewhere a discussion about it. And she is certainly not asked by foreign productions to participate, unlike Pogo and Radionova..

Also the hype about the 3A is harmless to listeners, but is she deceiving herself? 3 weeks ago she did a live-cast, and said @ 5:45 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us6VZ8on4aU

Q: are you planning a 3A in the programme?
Tuk: Hoping to….. but we have to really really see how it goes (how solid my 3A will be)… with new rules the judges will be tough (on jumps), it used to be -3/+3 and now it is -5/+5… so +3 3A will be worth less than my decent 3Z… and until I am solid on the 3A i will not... because if not (solid), I can bum the SP..

@ 6:50
Q: will you do a 3Z/3R.. (the one she dissed when others do it, as less important than mature woman's skating)
Tuk: oh, no… I don’t have the technique to this combination…… I can’t do a 3R (after 3Z), I can probably only add the loop as an oiler, or maybe add some other jump, but to do 3Z/3R is too difficult for me.

If she does not do shows and does not make it to major international events, it would be wise to start considering how she can make a living. Her father died unexpectedly 5 years ago, her mother is a teacher, and Mishin had to help mother to get a job when they moved to St. Pete. Athletic ambition is good, wanting to “prove to the world” is understandable, but one must be practical.

And it sure does not sound good when she states she is not good enough to do 3R/3Z at all and then tries to diminish her competition doing it and “at the end of the programme” (... and that is part of why some people commented after her interview).

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Yes if a senior ladies skater from any other country was doing smooth 3As during practice in the off season, there'd be massive hype, not calls for her to retire.

So...like people losing their shit over Nagasu landing UR 3As at the beginning of last season and then going crazy when she actually did land it at the Olympics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information