Vanessa James | Morgan Cipres

aftershocks

Banned Member
New interview

"... their setback at Worlds has given them the motivation that they needed to continue competing. 'We think it’s kind of destiny because a world medal could have led us to deciding we were done,' James said. 'This is a sign that we’re not done with figure skating. We still have a lot to prove. We’re not going to stop till we get what we want.'

'We’re going to come back,' Ciprès agreed. 'We just missed this Worlds. It’s not the end of the world.'

'It’s part of our journey,' James said. 'It’s always been like this. Last year fourth at Europeans, first this year. We didn’t make it to Grand Prix Final, we won it this year.'

With or without a world title, James and Ciprès have left their mark on the sport in more ways than one. Their costume and music selections have had a clear influence on the skating world.

'From Olympics till today I’ve never seen as many catsuits as I’ve seen this year,' James said. 'I feel everyone has turned to catsuits now and trying to be more modern in the choices of music. I think it’s an honour because other than results and things like that we’ve made a mark and are leaving something behind for future skaters. We’ve changed the sport a little bit and I think that’s more important than any results. Results are judged but changing something in the sport and people following that trend is a bigger compliment.

'I am really proud of that because you can make history with medals, but every year there is someone new,' Ciprès said. 'You don’t even remember if this guy has a gold medal, but you remember this guy because he did something. He put something in figure skating.'

'We’re all pushing the sport forwards and trying to keep it going in this direction,' James said."

Thanks Vanessa and Morgan. Thanks Hiro Yoshida of Europeonice. It's exactly what I have been saying when I point out the emulation and imitation of J/C's movement style and costumes by other teams. I don't sit down and start documenting every time I notice it either, as proof for naysayers or detractors. That's not necessary. Such emulation of the current trend epitomized by J/C and in a different way by S/M when they were competing, is not a negative. It's a positive! The emulation and imitation occurs to varying degrees and at different levels. Inspiration spawns others taking a trend further, or taking certain moves and doing them in their own unique way. That's exactly what Vanessa & Morgan have been doing, in any case. Some of J/C's recent moves have been seen and done before in pairs, but with the help of their choreographers, J/C have been blending old and new moves together in a fresh and exciting way.

What Vanessa & Morgan and their coaches and collaborators have brought to the ice over the past several seasons is part of a larger trend that evidences the cross-fertilization between pairs and ice dance. In fact, this cross-fertilization has been going on for a very long time. It culminated in a noticeably unique way with the choreography John Kerr did for Savchenko/Massot in their 2016-2017 Quickstep sp, That Man, and in the two programs Kerr choreographed for J/C in 2016-2017 with the collaboration of Silvia Fontana and Jeremy Barrett: Earned It (sp) and The Sound of Silence (fp - Disturbed rendition). At Euros 2017, J/C took their career and the pairs discipline to another level, and they haven't looked back nor rested on their laurels since. It's full speed ahead with continually challenging themselves, just as it should be.

It's no accident that contributions to pairs by former ice dancers and by Julie Marcotte, et al, have been a major impetus to the resurgent cross-fertilization we have been seeing. I'm talking about the work Shae Lynn Bourne & Shae Zukiwsky did for Kayne/O'Shea; some of the work Rohene Ward has done in pairs and ice dance; the choreography previously noted by John Kerr; and last season, the work talented and visionary Benoit Richaud did for the Knierims; the work Charlie White did for Denney/Frazier and for J/C; the lovely choreography Massimo Scali has been doing for U.S. pairs team, Timlen/ Highgate-Brutman; Pasquale Camerlengo's work with Cain-Gribble/LeDuc; Guillaume Cizeron's gift sp for J/C; and indeed, M-F Dubreuil & Patch Lauzon's collaborations on pairs choreography, in addition to the fire they have been lighting in ice dance with Romain Haguenauer for so many remarkable and reinvigorated ice dance teams!

I had planned to point out how and why this entire topic is old news.* But I have been more than a bit taken aback by the OTT reactions I have gotten here and in the Chinese thread suggesting that J/C don't deserve too much (or any) credit for some of movement aesthetic, costume and style trends we have been seeing in pairs recently.

I have to thank those insiders in the skating community who have no problem giving James/Cipres the full credit they deserve for their hard work and for their contributions to the pairs discipline. Good luck to Vanessa & Morgan on BOTB and may they have fun together this season. I know that I will enjoy seeing them compete along with all the other exciting pairs teams this season, no matter what happens. A shout out also to Vanessa for her gracious spirit and her determined approach to pursuing her dreams with her equally determined, supportive and kind pairs partner, Morgan. I am not saying any of this to spark anymore arguments in this thread. Conversations about this exciting ice dance + pairs trend are welcome (perhaps best in the general pairs thread), but not needless confrontations, please.

*Old news, as I said. The below brief article was written in February 2018 when the Pyeongchang Olympics was kicking off. I posted it earlier in this thread around July 2018, and as well in the Savchenko/Massot thread, and in the General Pairs thread in Trash Can at the same time. After the recent hullaboo here and in the Chinese thread, I was planning to point out that the skating community knows and acknowledges the inspiration J/C's breakout 2017 Euros performances provided to the pairs discipline, even if some FSU members don't agree or wish to downplay and dismiss. I'm glad Hiro Yoshida and Europeonice have further highlighted in the article linked above by kittysk8ts, what is already old news and which I previously shared here over a year ago:

Responding to a question about their The Sound of Silence fp to Disturbed's cover rendition:

"James said the popularity of that routine prompted imitation... and she loves it.

'I think it’s good because we’re actually evolving as a pair event, a discipline,' she said after a practice at Gangneung’s Ice Arena, the venue for figure skating at the Winter Olympics. 'Our goal is to skate like ice dancers, which is not always easy because of all the technical stuff we have to do, but it is the goal,' she added. 'I think working towards skating like them and looking at them as examples — transitions into and out of death spirals and spins — it’s evolving our sport and I think it’s great.'”

Savchenko/Massot are also quoted in the above article regarding the resurgent trend of ice dance influencing pairs, which has also occurred in the opposite direction. Emulation, imitation, and inspiration in the sport of figure skating are its lifeblood. It's how the sport evolves and grows. There's nothing negative about it. Every champion team makes a contribution, and every innovative team whether or not they become champions help push the discipline forward.

Thanks also to Charlie White for his recent thoughtful and generous words about working with J/C and their team. Charlie has given J/C credit for their strengths and their beauty, and their knowledge of what works for them on the ice. I also previously posted Charlie's complimentary comments in this thread.

Last edited:

kittysk8ts

Hope it’s ok to put this here. Here’s Vanessa’s hockey player partner for Battle of the Blades. Now THAT is one lucky fellow!

Spun Silver

Hope it’s ok to put this here. Here’s Vanessa’s hockey player partner for Battle of the Blades. Now THAT is one lucky fellow!

They look great together. Beauty and the Beast, or two different kinds of fierce.

kittysk8ts

Oh no. Not necessarily bad news, but I will miss them on the GP.

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

I’m glad that it’s not injury or something, but I find it very odd. I understand why they would take off for the Grand Prix (for Battle of the Blades), but skipping Worlds makes no sense to me. It’s already a tough field to begin with, and it won’t get any easier. If they really want to win a World title before 2022, I think they’d want to try this year. It just seems strange.

Orm Irian

And more news with lots of details here. They will continue on to 2022!

Oooooh, they're going to be working with Chris Dean in the leadup to the Olympics? Good move. S/M's Olympic-winning free skate was a Dean program.

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
I’m over the moon that they are wanting to stick with it through 2022! I don’t blame them for taking it easy, they’ve competed full seasons for so long and they aren’t spring skating chickens anymore. Some rest and an easy season is probably a good idea so they can refresh, refocus, and be on top of their game when they get back into things full time. :) I am going to miss them for most of the season, but glad we will get to enjoy their performances for another few years!

Mad for Skating

Interview with Vanessa and her Battle of the blades partner, Brian McGrattan

Looking good! All the Battle of the Blades episodes will be available on CBC's website the day after they air in Canada, so we can watch and cheer on our gorgeous queen Vanessa :)

Alvyne

Looking good! All the Battle of the Blades episodes will be available on CBC's website the day after they air in Canada, so we can watch and cheer on our gorgeous queen Vanessa :)
You will also be able to vote. I'm not sure how this is going to work for international voters, probably online voting on the CBC web site. Though I think I read that voting will only start on week two, no one will be eliminated the first week.

Mad for Skating

You will also be able to vote. I'm not sure how this is going to work for international voters, probably online voting on the CBC web site. Though I think I read that voting will only start on week two, no one will be eliminated the first week.

I’m excited!

Orm Irian

According to his Instagram stories, Morgan is currently coaching Hamon/Strekalin in France in the leadup to Finlandia - he had them doing off-ice exercises in the great outdoors. Denys was wearing a brace on his wrist but their lift training looked steady so let's hope he's got them settled and good to go after their rocky start on the JGP...

aftershocks

Banned Member
GS interview by Ted Flett with Silvia Fontana, discussing James/Cipres' recent decisions regarding their career. Fontana also responds to questions regarding the ever-improving, dynamically creative, and compellingly watchable Kevin Aymoz!

I love Vanessa's performance with partner Brian McGrattan in Episode 1 of the new BOTB! :cheer2: They should be very competitive going forward. Kaitlyn and Sheldon deserve to be leading. I also think Eric Radford stood out, as did the amazing Katia Gordeeva. This is such a fun show. I'm glad it was brought back.

DreamSkates

Sounds like a good opportunity, they are not ending careers by any means, but now, who will I watch in pairs?

aftershocks

Banned Member
Pairs and ice dance are the most exciting disciplines by far, IMO. Then men and okay for me ladies bring up the rear. :p

Vanessa & Morgan will compete at French Nationals and Euros this season. And then apparently work on gearing up for new challenges to bring us something even more exciting. Meanwhile, the excitement they have contributed over the past three seasons has been contagious and influential, and I'm not alone in thinking that, despite some naysayers and downplayers here. ;)

I always enjoy watching pairs though. There's always interesting moments and compelling takeaways, even when skaters are not at their best, or when consistently the judges' input is confusing and frustrating. Pairs is truly the 'divine' discipline. What pairs partners do together is so tough and exacting. At their best, pairs warriors make it look easy, but boy we know it's not. :)

cholla

Marquessa of Chartreuse
According to his Instagram stories, Morgan is currently coaching Hamon/Strekalin in France in the leadup to Finlandia - he had them doing off-ice exercises in the great outdoors.
Morgan plans to become a coach at the end of his competitive career. This is 1st try with high level athletes and he totally loves it. I think he will make a great coach. He is patient, very observant and he has genuine teaching skills.

Little not so funny anecdote : Vanessa and Morgan were scheduled to skate at Masters gala yesterday evening. Vanessa got stranded in an airport (Frankfurt I think) and couldn't make it. She traveled all the way from Canada for... nothing. And now she has to flight back, of course.

Last edited:

Orm Irian

Morgan plans to become a coach at the end of his competitive career. This is 1st try with high level athletes and he totally loves it. I think he will make a great coach. He is patient, very observant and he has genuine teaching skills.

Little not so funny anecdote : Vanessa and Morgan were scheduled to skate at Masters gala yesterday evening. Vanessa got stranded in an airport (Frankfurt I think) and couldn't make it. She traveled all the way from Canada for... nothing. And now she has to flight back, of course.

I was following Vanessa's Instagram stories of her travel woes, wondering why she was heading for Lyon - mystery solved! And it was her birthday too, not the day you want to have 14-hour delays in airports...

Glad to hear that Morgan is enjoying coaching, too. Might we see him at the boards with Hamon/Strekalin at Finlandia?

nimi

And it was her birthday too, not the day you want to have 14-hour delays in airports...

OMG that really is the most frustrating way to spend your birthday!!! :eek:

I've been to the sprawling hellhole that is Frankfurt airport once (almost missed my connecting flight) and I feel kinda cranky and stressed just THINKING about poor Vanessa being stranded there on her b-day... :( :wall:

I haven't been watching BotB but I sure hope she's having a great time there!

cholla

Marquessa of Chartreuse
Please explain. I know zip about getting to be a high level figure skating coach
It's not so much about getting to be a "high level" coach but just a coach ;) In France, to be an official coach, whatever the level of your trainees is, you need to have a "brevet d'état" = state degree.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Jackie Wong caught up with Vanessa James at Skate America, where Vanessa was providing support to her training mates, Haven & Brandon. We recently saw Morgan giving similar support to teammates and training mates at IDF.

The brief interview with Vanessa is in the Skate America Recap episode. The interview starts around 8:42 thru about 15:26

Vanessa indicates that Morgan wasn't able to coach her at BOTB due to some issue regarding paperwork not being completed in time, so that meant they weren't able to do some training with each other, as they'd planned. Therefore, apparently they aren't necessarily planning to compete at French Nationals and Euros this season. It seems to be up-in-the-air for this season. She didn't say for certain when they will compete again, however she mentions that she and Morgan have worked with their coaches to create "cool new lifts..." they are looking forward to showing. Vanessa also positively observes about the pairs scene: "I see some moves and transitions we were doing last season... We've had an impact on pairs skating and that's cool to see..." :respec:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information