Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
She’s my type of gal
Mine, too! She would put the dirty dishes down the hall outside someone else's room so Frank wouldn't know :lol:.
Why would she need meds like Cytoflavin? It's a treatment against diabetes polyneuropathy
[C]ytoflavin promotes physical fitness of the athletes by improving energy supply, psychoemotional conditions, and competition form. It is recommended to use cytoflavin for the training of athletes in the pre-competition period.

Kosinets VA, Stolbitskiĭ VV, Shturich IP. [The use of cytoflavin in sports nutrition]. Klin Med (Mosk). 2012;90(7):56-8. Russian. PMID: 23019978.

Vagabond

I am going through the decision right now.

On 22 July 2021, the Athlete, together with her mother, Ms Alsu Valieva, signed the ISU’s “Declaration for Competitors and Officials entering ISU Events” (the “ISU Declaration for Competitors”). The ISU Declaration for Competitors provided in relevant part as follows:
“I, Kamila Valieva …

VI) am familiar with the ISU Code of Ethics … as well as ISU Anti-Doping Rules and ISU Anti-Doping Procedures … and also with the current List of Prohibited Substances and Methods and I declare that I will fully comply with such Rules. …”

[All of which is to say that she acknowledged beforehand that she knew the prohibited substances that were eventually found in the sample were in fact prohibited and took it upon herself not to let anyone (herself or someone else) administer them to her.]

At the end of 2020, Ms Valieva was diagnosed with “athlete’s heart” and was prescribed Hypoxen. For a period after that, she underwent a medical examination every month and an examination on 4 May 2021 showed that her heart had returned to “normal”. “After that there were no problems with the heart.”

[The above-quoted text is based on an interview with Valieva's mother.

Ms Valieva did not complain about any problems with her heart except in March 2021 when the FMBA recommended, upon a detailed medical examination, that she decrease her workload.

Athlete's heart is not a medical condition. It describes the normal changes that occur in the hearts of individuals who participate in intense athletic training. Such changes are subtle.

Although there are many approaches to this, one of the most definitive is a period of detraining. Over six weeks of minimal exercise, most athletes' hearts will return to normal.

Detraining or medicating so that she could compete? I wonder what advice Eteri Tutberidze gave her. :unsure: ETA: See below]

Ms Valieva was once followed by her male fans “to become acquainted”

[Again, this is the mother's account. I suppose that this kind of stalking must be more widespread than we know.]

ETA:

[According to Eteri Tutberidze] Ms Valieva did not complain about any problems with her heart except in March 2021 when the FMBA recommended, upon a detailed medical examination, that she decrease her workload.

[In other words, the doctors prescribed Hypoxen, which Valieva still takes, and then merely recommend that Valieva decrease her workload.]

[According to Kamila Valieva] At the end of 2020, during the regular six-monthly examination, the FMBA diagnosed her as having an “athlete’s heart”. She was told to reduce her training load and she was prescribed Hypoxen and L-carnitine. The FMBA checked in March 2021 and she was told that “everything was fine and it has not happened since.”

[According to Dr. Shvetskiy] In 2021, Ms Valieva was diagnosed with a “functional disorder of the conduction system of the heart muscle”, which did not require any “medical correction” or for Ms Valieva to cease training. Dr Shvetskiy did not
recommend to Ms Valieva “any medications for correction of this disease, but someone from the other team doctors or doctors of FMBA might have prescribed something.”

[The observant reader will already have noticed that the respective accounts of Valieva's mother, Tutberidze, Valieva herself, and Shvetskiy do not tally with each other. Be that as it may, it is clear that she was determined to have "athlete's heart," which, accourding to Stanford University is not a medical condition, was given Hypoxenn for it, kept training at the height of the pandemic, and still takes Hypoxen even though detraining would have worked.]

Sodium polydihydroxyphenylene thiosulfonate (гипоксен, Hypoxen) is under laboratory studies in Russia as a potential regulator of cell metabolism. It is purported to affect mitochondrial function,[2] though this has not been proven in any high-quality, peer-reviewed publications.

It is registered in Russia as an antihypoxic agent, but has not been subjected to any clinical trials meeting internationally accepted standards, and has no regulatory approval as a prescription drug outside Russia and some former Soviet states.

It sounds like folk medicine of the kind my great-grandmother might have given out.]

Last edited:

Vagabond

[Kamila Valieva says]Her diet is recommended by a dietologist – “balanced food, meat, grains, vegetables, fruits and sometimes something else”.

[Hundreds of calories per day, no doubt.]

In the future she is going to be “more concerned about every supplement and is going to be more careful”.

[💡What a good idea! She might even consider not using supplements.]

In November-December 2021, “the disorder of the biliary system in Kamila Valieva was detected following the results of the abdominal scan and biochemical analysis and the medications, which are not prohibited in sport, were recommended for the use and treatment, I don't remember their name, but choleretics”. Mrs Valieva asked for recommendations in this regard. Dr Shvetskiy checked the names provided by Mrs Valieva and made sure that the medications were not included in the WADA Prohibited List and he approved their use.

Pancreatic and biliary diseases in children are very rare

🤔

Last edited:

Vagabond

As to sabotage, the basis for this explanation is the assertion by the Athlete that the manufacturer of one of the supplements that she was using, Hypoxen, also manufactures TMZ such that there was a possibility of cross-contamination. There is “nowhere near
enough evidence to conclude that some sort of contaminated medication or supplement was the cause of or in any way related to” the Athlete’s ADRV and this explanation must also be discounted. The DADC did not accept this explanation either.

There is, in the Panel’s view, an air of unreality surrounding the idea that the Athlete, an elite athlete educated on and aware of her obligations with respect to food security, would ask a train attendant to refrigerate her strawberry dessert on the train from Moscow to St Petersburg.

The principal character in the explanation is Mr Solovyov and yet he was not called by the Athlete and did not give evidence before the Panel. Moreover, his evidence before the DADC was comprised of a pre-recorded video and a written statement. It is apparent therefore that none of his evidence has been tested, and the Panel has been afforded no opportunity to assess the witness or his evidence....

Likewise, in circumstances where he was fit and well enough to provide a recorded video of his account to the DADC in early 2022, it is difficult to be believe that he was not able to manage giving remote evidence to the Panel.

In the end, the evidence provided by Mr Solovyov, such as it was, was untested and the Panel takes the view that it is not in any position but to afford it very little weight.

a. As Prof. Rabin explained, if the Athlete was exposed to TMZ residues and thus to a low dose (i.e. between 0.5 mg and 7.5 mg and not between 7.5 mg and 35 mg) then she would have a urine concentration of 1-1.7 ng/mL three days after the last intake – which meant that her reported urine concentration of 2.1 ng/mL on 25 December 2021 was not consistent with a scenario whereby she was exposed to TMZ contamination on or before 21 December 2021 in Moscow. If she did ingest the substance in Moscow it could only be explained on the basis that she ingested not residues but an entire pill. (When asked about this Prof. Kintz agreed that there were “serious doubts” that contamination could have occurred in Moscow.)

b. It thus became important for the Athlete to be able to say that her exposure to the TMZ continued after 21 December 2021, which she has now done by reference to the strawberry dessert, which she says she carried with her and ate over the days she spent in St Petersburg, with her last in time eating of the dessert some 50 hours prior to the test.

In light of the fact that the Athlete has not established, on the balance of probabilities, that she did not commit the ADRV intentionally, it must follow that the period of ineligibility is four years.

The Panel is aware that some may think that a four-year ban imposed on a 15-year old Athlete in circumstances where it has not been established that she committed the ADRV intentionally is harsh and disproportionate. The Panel carefully considered whether there was scope for the exercise of its discretion to reduce the period of ineligibility according the principles of proportionality adumbrated in CAS 2006/A/1025 and CAS 2007/A/1252. In the result, however, on the principal basis that this sanction is entirely in accord with (the strictures of) the Russian ADR (and the 2021 WADC), a majority of the Panel decided against such a course and in this respect adopts what was said by the panel in CAS 2018/A/5546 at ¶¶86-90:

“86. Additionally, the CAS jurisprudence since the coming into effect of WADC 2015 is clearly hostile to the introduction of proportionality as a means of reducing yet further the period of ineligibility provided for by the WADC (and there is only one example of its being applied under the previous version of the WADC). In CAS 2016/A/4534, when addressing the issue of proportionality, the Panel stated: “The WADC 2015 was the product of wide consultation and represented the best consensus of sporting authorities as to what was needed to achieve as far as possible the desired end. It sought itself to fashion in a detailed and sophisticated way a proportionate response in pursuit of a legitimate aim” (para. 51).

*****​

Having read through all this, I think that Valieva's account of having brought the strawberry dessert on the train and then giving it temporarily to an attendant sealed her fate.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
In one of their interviews in NYC last week, Madison Chock said there is a website, run by USADA, where U.S. athletes can enter the name of any supplement or med they are taking/considering to see if it contains any banned substances.
WADA has an app! (There is always an app for that. ;)

Mafke

Her entourage basically threw her to the wolves.
One of the reasons I think doping penalties need to float upwards.... coaches and federations need to start paying a bigger price.
Then maybe it'll be reduced.
Lots of unprincipled terrible people are willing to dope up young people because they know they personally won't be punished.
Need to change that calculus.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
On that list - none. The question is what are those supplements, and drugs covering, and compensating for that is banned.
Add to that that supplements in excess can damage liver, kidneys, blood circulation etc. One of the meds she was given is used, among other indications, to treat hepathic encephalopathy which is linked to advanced liver ailment. The accumulation of neurotoxics in the body exceeds what the liver can filter and it spreads into blood, reaching other organs including the brain. That or said med was given to her in search of effects that it's not originally designed for. In both cases, it's abuse, as the rest of all the stuff she was given and certainly didn't need at 14 and 15.

coppertop1

But it's totally unfair for Western athletes to get TUEs,. right :rolleyes:. The worst part about this IMO is their constant whining and deflecting, sending their bots and trolls to go after anyone who dares criticize them

This whole mess makes me really feel for any clean athlete who has had to deal with this BS.

just tuned in

Add to that that supplements in excess can damage liver, kidneys, blood circulation etc. One of the meds she was given is used, among other indications, to treat hepathic encephalopathy which is linked to advanced liver ailment. The accumulation of neurotoxics in the body exceeds what the liver can filter and it spreads into blood, reaching other organs including the brain. That or said med was given to her in search of effects that it's not originally designed for. In both cases, it's abuse, as the rest of all the stuff she was given and certainly didn't need at 14 and 15.
Yes, I can see how her liver would struggle to deal with all the other substances they gave her.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Oh what a tangled (strawberry) web we weave, when first we practice to deceive..

Jokes aside when you really look at the info and at all the crap they are pumping into these undeveloped bodies it really is criminal.

Even you Russian apologists have to see how bad this is, if you really care about these girls you should be f***ing pissed.

And also a moment for everyone who championed these girls and their coach and their "Ultra C" elements to think about going foward. It was always obvious their results were unrealistic and impossible to compete with, it was never a fair playing field.

Vagabond

Let me take you down
'Cause I'm going to Strawberry Schemes
Nothing is real
And nothing to get hung about
Strawberry Schemes forever

Living is easy with eyes closed
Misunderstanding all you see
It's getting hard to be someone
But it all works out
It doesn't matter much to me

Let me take you down
Nothing is real

Nothing I think is in my treat
I mean I must be high or low
That is you can't, you know, tune in
But it's all right
That is I think it's not too bad

Let me take you down
Nothing is real

Always, no sometimes, think it's me
But you know I know when it's a dream
I think I know I mean a yes
But it's all wrong
That is I think I disagree

Let me take you down
Nothing is real

Eteri sauce. Eteri sauce.
💉

Mafke

ussian apologists have to see how bad this is
To be very clear I have nothing but sympathy for Valieva who I'm sure had no say in any of this (either not informed or not given a choice about taking banned substances).
I have nothing but scorn for the coaches and federation that let his happen (as well as Eteri's reign of terror wrecking young bodies with bad technique for short-term gains).
I would let Valieva skate tomorrow if she could do so divorced from the toxic infrastructure she's stuck in....

Vagabond

To be very clear I have nothing but sympathy for Valieva who I'm sure had no say in any of this (either not informed or not given a choice about taking banned substances).
I have nothing but scorn for the coaches and federation that let his happen (as well as Eteri's reign of terror wrecking young bodies with bad technique for short-term gains).
I would let Valieva skate tomorrow if she could do so divorced from the toxic infrastructure she's stuck in....
The Court of Arbitration for Sport said that there was an "air of unreality" to Valieva's sworn statement. This is akin to Carolina Kostner's false statements to the police. Here, Valieva has gone so far out of the way to make up stories that I have serious doubts as to whether she actually had no say in or knowledge of what was administered to her.

Last edited:

Judy

One of the reasons I think doping penalties need to float upwards.... coaches and federations need to start paying a bigger price.
Then maybe it'll be reduced.
Lots of unprincipled terrible people are willing to dope up young people because they know they personally won't be punished.
Need to change that calculus.
Good luck though with Russia though unfortunately.

Hedwig

Antique member
I always have to think of the pur abused athlets from East Germany who got drugged against their will or knowledge. Many are suffering still from the aftereffects. Some do not because they died already prematurely.
It is not only unfair to clean athlets. It is a fecking travesty against children who do not know enough or even nothing.

Mafke

"air of unreality" to Valieva's sworn statement.
Given the context I doubt if much of any part of it came from her. I'm sure she was told exactly what to say and thoroughly rehearsed and threatened if she went off script.
russia is, unfortunately, that kind of place and russian sports federations have a long history of using and throwing away people at the bottom and even potential gold medalists are at the bottom of the hierarchy.

Mafke

She would put the dirty dishes down the hall outside someone else's room so Frank wouldn't know
I did not know that! I do remember a Sports Illustrated article at the time mentioning her cheesecake addiction (and dislike of Danon yogurt... OK, that may have been the author of the article).

just tuned in

Goodness.

“In the period from 01.01.2020 to 31.12.2021 the athlete Kamila Valieva was given the following medications, sports nutrition and dietary supplements by the Center’s doctors Mr Adamov, Mr Shvetskiy and Mr Shumakov: Amino Vital Multi Energy, Stimol, oral injection solution, Magnelis B6, Vitrum Superstress, Panangin Forte, Hypoxen capsules, L-Carnitine, fluid Mg complex, Kreon, Flitrum-STI, Imudon, Polyoxidonium, Ibuclin, Versatis plaster, Sustamin, Nimesulid, Traumeel S, Supadryn, ISODRINX, Orthomol Sport, Geladrink, Agisept, Grippferon, Doppelhertz aktiv, CoQ10, Glycine, Tot’hema, Ketrolac, Sorbifer Durules, Riboxin, Berocca Plus, Gorpils, Maxilac, Omega 3, Stimol, Amino Vital, Bilactin, Diara, Metoclopramide, Voltaren, Junior Active Complex, SportExpert, BCAA+, Esslial Forte, Amino Vital Gold, Aspirin C, Valmedin drops, Guarana 300, Carmolis lolly, Coldrex Maksgrip, Creatine Ox, Xylometazoline, Tot’hema, Cytovlavin pills, Tilaxine, Calcimine Advance, Imudon, Hypoxen, Alfa Normix, ACC … .”
I pasted this section into a spreadsheet and sorted it alphabetically. A couple of the substances were listed two or three times, so I wish that the authors had checked for that.

Then, it is fun to google some of the supplements. For example, Gorpils are throat lozenges. Metoclopramide relieves nausea, vomiting and reflux. Voltaren is a pain killer for arthritis, but appears to have been taken off the market.

Former Lurve Goddess

Then, it is fun to google some of the supplements. For example, Gorpils are throat lozenges. Metoclopramide relieves nausea, vomiting and reflux. Voltaren is a pain killer for arthritis, but appears to have been taken off the market.
Voltaren cream (which autocorrect wants to change to Voltaire!) exists in Canada. My mother uses it almost every day.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
I pasted this section into a spreadsheet and sorted it alphabetically. A couple of the substances were listed two or three times, so I wish that the authors had checked for that.

Voltaren is still on the market in the US as an OTC creme.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information