Vagabond

LOL - Galliamov is telling the IOC and ISU that they better be invited to any victory ceremony if the bronze medal placement sticks -
If the ceremony is in Paris, these Russian athletes might not be able to obtain a visa, regardless of what the ISU and IOC might wish. This may even be part of why the Americans want the ceremony to be at the Olympics.

marmalade

Stalking Cizeron's Instagram

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
LOL - Galliamov is telling the IOC and ISU that they better be invited to any victory ceremony if the bronze medal placement sticks -

Clearly wants a trip out of Russia, too bad so sad.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member

Another Russian with delusions of importance. :rolleyes:

Dobre

I think it shows that there are some athletes in Russia that know the difference between an Olympic medal and propaganda. Yes, Russia put on its fake ceremony and paid its athletes like gold medalists; but that's not the same as a real Olympic medal of any kind.

Allskate

He seems to think he not only will be invited and provided with a visa, but that he will be welcomed with loving arms:

“In Europe, they really love Russian figure skating, and with their ways and speed of movement, I’m sure that Italians, French, Germans, and our Slavic brothers – fans of Russian figure skating – would join. Maybe then they would pay attention to the significance and development of figure skating in Russia and for Russia."

I think he's been drinking too much of that vodka-laced Russian Kool-Aid. He may be in for a rude surprise. I doubt that there would be loud ovations for the Russians at a medal ceremony at the Olympics. The Russian team members may even be welcomed with a great rounds of boos by opponents of doping and by Europeans not happy about a team representing a country that started a war that has had bad repercussions for Europeans. They might even be serenaded with "Oh, Canada."

puglover

He seems to think he not only will be invited and provided with a visa, but that he will be welcomed with loving arms:

“In Europe, they really love Russian figure skating, and with their ways and speed of movement, I’m sure that Italians, French, Germans, and our Slavic brothers – fans of Russian figure skating – would join. Maybe then they would pay attention to the significance and development of figure skating in Russia and for Russia."

I think he's been drinking too much of that vodka-laced Russian Kool-Aid. He may be in for a rude surprise. I doubt that there would be loud ovations for the Russians at a medal ceremony at the Olympics. The Russian team members may even be welcomed with a great rounds of boos by opponents of doping and by Europeans not happy about a team representing a country that started a war that has had bad repercussions for Europeans. They might even be serenaded with "Oh, Canada."
Personally, I find this very disheartening. If even an elite athlete, who couldn't skate under his own country flag or name, and knows he just lost an Olympic gold medal because of a drug infraction by a 15 year old teammate with the most unbelievable explanation, doesn't think Russia has a problem, how will things change?

Primorskaya

It's called "decades of propaganda" and "wanting to believe the version that makes you happy".

Firedancer

Personally, I find this very disheartening. If even an elite athlete, who couldn't skate under his own country flag or name, and knows he just lost an Olympic gold medal because of a drug infraction by a 15 year old teammate with the most unbelievable explanation, doesn't think Russia has a problem, how will things change?

I don’t think anything has or will change until additional measures are taken. There should be no consideration of Russia returning in anyway until real changes are made.

coppertop1

Am I petty from wanting this to happen?
I don’t think anything has or will change until additional measures are taken. There should be no consideration of Russia returning in anyway until real changes are made.
And let's be real: That's unlikely as long as Putin is around. Just keep Russia out

skatingguy

decently
One of the reasons why the IOC decided not to give the medals is that the russians have not returned them for years. For years!!! This is not something new.
And, by the way, Moskvina, Kostomarov and Enbert said that the bronze medals are ok. Those who want to speak out speak up. For the rest, others will find excuses. As always.
That's a fair point.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
For all those people who say 4 years is harsh, doping penalties are always harsh. And rarely take into account any extenuating circumstances. I understand that the general public might not be aware of this but Phil Hersh most certainly should. In particular, since we have no idea what the evidence is that led to this ruling, people like Hersh who have a platform should be very careful making big pronouncements.

coppertop1

For all those people who say 4 years is harsh, doping penalties are always harsh. And rarely take into account any extenuating circumstances. I understand that the general public might not be aware of this but Phil Hersh most certainly should. In particular, since we have no idea what the evidence is that led to this ruling, people like Hersh who have a platform should be very careful making big pronouncements.
And it should be. A light sentence would greenlight doping minors.

Meanwhile

Last edited:

Allskate

And it should be. A light sentence would greenlight doping minors.

Meanwhile
ITA. Deterring the doping of minors is really important. If people feel bad for Valieva, they should support the deterrence.

Christine Brennan says:

"100 hours of silence from
@ISU_Figure
on why it put Russia ahead of Canada for the 2022 Olympic team skating bronze medal. From early Tuesday morning (5:22 am ET to be exact) to right now: no return emails, no explanation of their math, nothing."

Cuz math is hard. ;) In all seriousness, if the rules required their results, it wouldn't be that difficult for the ISU to say so. And they would have been able to prepare a statement over the past two years.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
ITA. Deterring the doping of minors is really important. If people feel bad for Valieva, they should support the deterrence.

Christine Brennan says:

@ISU_Figure
on why it put Russia ahead of Canada for the 2022 Olympic team skating bronze medal. From early Tuesday morning (5:22 am ET to be exact) to right now: no return emails, no explanation of their math, nothing."

Cuz math is hard. ;) In all seriousness, if the rules required their results, it wouldn't be that difficult for the ISU to say so. And they would have been able to prepare a statement over the past two years.
Given there are appeals, do you not think their legal office has said do not talk to the press?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Given there are appeals, do you not think their legal office has said do not talk to the press?
The legal team should have given them a bland statement to put out. Like they normally do in these situations.

Btw, have appeals been filed or just threatened? We have Canada and Russia both saying they will pursue legal action. Anyone else?

caseyedwards

Christine Brennan says:

@ISU_Figure

I would ignore Christine Brennan too

skatingguy

decently
Ultimately, we would need to know the full details to determine if 4 years was harsh or fair and it seems Russia does not want them to be known. If they made the penalty look harsh, I suspect Russia would be all for releasing them.
I think keeping the documents confidential allows them to play the narrative however they like, and to change that narrative as it suits them.

coppertop1

Exactly. It's clear though that Valieva was the victim (and her behaviour afterwards doesn't change that). This can't happen again
Christine Brennan says:

@ISU_Figure

Hey, ISU, what's 53+2? ISU: ?? 53?

They had two years to get this right and instead they try to appease Russia and wind up pleasing no one. Did they really think Russia would be happy to get bronze?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information