UPDATES ON MY DREAM TO LEARN TO ICE-DANCE...WISH ME LUCK!!

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
I kinda disagree with many here. If social ice dance is your goal, then there is a home for you. Yes, you need to learn the basic moves and edges, from either learn to skate or a private coach, but ice dance at our level is not what you see on tv. It's social and fun and everyone is welcome.

Clarice

Purple skates, I don't think you're disagreeing with any of us at all. We're all saying the same thing: you have to learn to skate first, and then you can learn ice dancing.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
There's talk of needing strong edges and superior basic skills, and if doing the Dutch Waltz for fun on open skate is your goal, not testing through your gold dances, then you don't need them. You need to know enough that you don't take down your partner, of course, and be able to keep up with the music (if you actually bother to put the music on), but you can do preliminary dances without testing through basic skills, IMO. I've danced with adults who were self taught and they did just fine. Until they got to the Swing Dance and had to face the thought of going backwards. :lol:

Now if your goal is testing the Dances and really learning how to skate them, then that's a whole different ball game. But I don't think that's what FSWer is looking for.

Clarice

Totally agree with you, and I think most of us do. I think the talk of advanced skills was just to prove the point that ice dance is not an easy discipline. But all I've ever said is that FSWer needs to be able to do forward stroking, glide on one foot, and forward progressives (which are a lot like forward crossovers). He can learn those things in basic skills classes or with a private coach. When he can do them, he can learn the first ice dance. (Repeating myself here for FSWer's sake, not for you, purple skates, since I'm pretty sure you know these things already!)

ioana

Just weighing in to add that working on edges and basic skating skills is definitely a good foundation for any skating you might want to do later on. I only learned the first few dances and can only speak for myself here, but I would not feel comfortable doing them with someone who spends the whole dance trying to keep up. Everyone has a different comfort level when it comes to these things, but the better your skating skills are, the easier it is to find a partner. Even when you just want to do ice dance for fun.

That is why working with your coach when you first learn these dances is very important. Developing good edges and being able to stroke correctly -either in private or group lessons- is also very important.

Skittl1321

There's talk of needing strong edges and superior basic skills, and if doing the Dutch Waltz for fun on open skate is your goal, not testing through your gold dances, then you don't need them. You need to know enough that you don't take down your partner, of course, and be able to keep up with the music (if you actually bother to put the music on), but you can do preliminary dances without testing through basic skills, IMO. I've danced with adults who were self taught and they did just fine. Until they got to the Swing Dance and had to face the thought of going backwards. :lol:

Now if your goal is testing the Dances and really learning how to skate them, then that's a whole different ball game. But I don't think that's what FSWer is looking for.

Even the dutch waltz requires strong edges, as compared to someone who hasn't passed through Basic skills. The progressives, even if done as steppy crossovers are challenging. It's possible to do shallower edges on the swing rolls if you shorten the rink, but to fill the rink and keep timing, those edges, especially on the short edge, are challenging.

I don't know where FSWer is in his skating, but in the past he has asked how to glide on two feet. That's below the level that a coach would even be able to pull him through the dance. He needs to be able to glide steadily on 1 foot, to do a crossover, and to hold an edge, even if not a deep one. You learn these in basic skills, you just can't skip them. It's fine if you want to do these with a private coach, but they still have to be done.

Maybe FSWer would like a private coach. Depending on the level of his rink (I go to a low level rink where this is possible)- a student at his level could still perform in an exhibition. He and his coach could invent their own dance with the skills he has. But if money is an issue, basic skills group classes are where to pick up the base skills before you spend time learning dances (a lot of which at the lowest level is just remembering the steps!)

FSWer

Just wanted to let you know that my Case Worker is looking into starting me back up with Learn to Skate. I also appreciate every bit of advice you all have given me. I also thank you all for understanding the type of person that I am and all....Say,now that you all know a little more about me,I feel I can ask this and trust you all. But does anyone here know if there have been any famous Skaters in history with disabilities like I have? I've just always wondered.

Kecasyl

Just wanted to let you know that my Case Worker is looking into starting me back up with Learn to Skate. I also appreciate every bit of advice you all have given me. I also thank you all for understanding the type of person that I am and all....Say,now that you all know a little more about me,I feel I can ask this and trust you all. But does anyone here know if there have been any famous Skaters in history with disabilities like I have? I've just always wondered.

I really don't know what disability you have and I'm not going to be nosy and ask. But as far as disabilities go, former American Ice Dancer Eve Chalom was deaf. She's the only one I can think of off the top of my head at this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fMQrW0-h6A

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer there may not be a lot of famous skaters with disabilities, but there are many people who skate who have disabilities. The Special Olympics has figure skating, and ISI also has a Special Skater program with tests and competitions. If you go to YouTube and search on "Special Olympics figure skating" you can see some of the skaters with disabilities.

Sylvia

TBD
@FSWer there may not be a lot of famous skaters with disabilities, but there are many people who skate who have disabilities. The Special Olympics has figure skating
FSWer, are you able to go watch any of the Connecticut Special Olympics Winter Games figure skating events at the International Skating Center of Connecticut in Simsbury on February 27-28?
http://www.soct.org/sports-and-fitness-programs/sports-and-competitions
("Ice Dancing" and "Unified Ice Dancing" events are two of the registration options but whether or not they will be held will likely depend on if enough competitors enter.)

Last edited:

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
FSWer, I think that it would be a wonderful idea if you do check out the link that Sylvia provided. FSWer, I'm disabled now. I had to stay at a nursing facility for rehab to learn how to walk with a walker, etc. While I was still there, some of the physical therapist people or team wanted me to enter the Senior Olympics. It would have been held in Shreveport in September of 2012.

I left before then, and wasn't able to compete in wheelchair races because of that. It was an Olympics that included different nursing facilities in Shreveport and Bossier City, LA.

I believe that the Special Olympics would be perfect for you. I believe you would enjoy it. :)

carriecmu0503

I really don't know what disability you have and I'm not going to be nosy and ask. But as far as disabilities go, former American Ice Dancer Eve Chalom was deaf. She's the only one I can think of off the top of my head at this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fMQrW0-h6A

Meryl Davis has dyslexia, which can make it very difficult to learn steps to dances! She also lacks depth perception, which is scary because she usually does not know how close the other skaters and the boards are to her on the ice.

Lizard8

FSWer I'm an adult skater who started skating in my 40's. At my rink we had a challenged woman who was my age. She had something similar to Downs Syndrome. She had started skating as an adult and competed in Special Olympics. She could do jumps up to a loop. She was slow speed wise but very steady. She tested her preliminary freeskate and passed in the regular track! She competed against kids with a 1 minute 40 second program in regular fun meets around the area. (This was in Canada before there were really any adult competitions in our province). She also tested a few ice dances.
She competed in the Special Olympics as I mentioned above!
I know she skated a few evenings a week and progress was slow, steady and alot of work. That however, could be said for most of us..hard work but fun!
Hang on to your dream and have a wonderful time learning! Get those basic skills down as many others have said so you can feel comfortable on the ice! You do not have to be perfect but you do have to do the skills mentioned.
Good luck! I'm rooting for you!
I haven't skated for about 5 years but I'm going back to it in March!!

FSWer

FSWer, I think that it would be a wonderful idea if you do check out the link that Sylvia provided. FSWer, I'm disabled now. I had to stay at a nursing facility for rehab to learn how to walk with a walker, etc. While I was still there, some of the physical therapist people or team wanted me to enter the Senior Olympics. It would have been held in Shreveport in September of 2012.

I left before then, and wasn't able to compete in wheelchair races because of that. It was an Olympics that included different nursing facilities in Shreveport and Bossier City, LA.

I believe that the Special Olympics would be perfect for you. I believe you would enjoy it. :)

Actually I did ask somebody who runs Special Olympics about if we had Skating in it,and she said they just never had a coach. Anyway,my Case Worker is looking into Learn to Skate for me. Say,I was wondering how many people here believe (when it comes to Ice-Dancing) that I can learn it and Skate with a Partner?

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance

Sylvia

TBD
FSWer, are you able to go watch any of the Connecticut Special Olympics Winter Games figure skating events at the International Skating Center of Connecticut in Simsbury on February 27-28?
http://www.soct.org/sports-and-fitness-programs/sports-and-competitions
If you're interested to go watch, here are the days/times of the figure skating events at the International Skating Center of Connecticut, 1375 Hopmeadow Street, in Simsbury:

Saturday, February 27
10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Figure Skating Compulsories

Sunday, February 28

10:00 a.m. -12:30 p.m. Figure Skating Competition
*Awards: 1:15 - 2:30 p.m.*

FSWer

Good Day everyone!!!! GUESS WHAT!!!! My Case Worker just e-mailed me and to me that she's still looking for a Partner for me.and that one of her co-workers has somebody interested in Partner Skating!!! She is also going to set up a time for me to meet with the Skating Director at my Rink!!! Oh.....I am so PROUD of MYSELF!!!

Kecasyl

I really really hope you have basic skating skills in order to partner skate. It is a very bad idea to try to skate with a partner if you don't have basic skills yourself, it's not going to work. It's hard enough to skate on your own, and with a partner is twice as hard and the chances of one or both of you getting hurt majorly increases.

FSWer

Good Day everyone!!!! GUESS WHAT!!!! My Case Worker just e-mailed me and to me that she's still looking for a Partner for me.and that one of her co-workers has somebody interested in Partner Skating!!! She is also going to set up a time for me to meet with the Skating Director at my Rink!!! Oh.....I am so PROUD of MYSELF!!!

LOL,isn't there ANYONE here happy for me? :(

Kecasyl

Why is this your business? If the Skating Director needs your input on the subject, I am sure you will get a request.

Hope it all works out for you, FSWer!
Wow really? I have been encouraging the whole thread and many of his other threads, but it's okay for people to encourage someone to do something that is going to possibly hurt them and someone else, but not for someone to be concerned. I'm sorry that I give a crap about people.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
Wow really? I have been encouraging the whole thread and many of his other threads, but it's okay for people to encourage someone to do something that is going to possibly hurt them and someone else, but not for someone to be concerned. I'm sorry that I give a crap about people.

Wow, really? Your humanity touches my heart.

If FSWer is--and apparently he is--being helped by people who are actually on the scene, know him and apparently know something about skating, then I think he's being taken care of by people who actually know him and can do something to help him.

Kecasyl

Wow, really? Your humanity touches my heart.

If FSWer is--and apparently he is--being helped by people who are actually on the scene, know him and apparently know something about skating, then I think he's being taken care of by people who actually know him and can do something to help him.

Fine, whatever. If something bad happens then hey it isn't on any of us right? But from what I've seen with the posts about the "people and their info on the scene" they're clueless. Because if they truly knew what they were doing they wouldn't be pairing someone up who doesn't have basic skills from what we've been told.

I'm done being caring and concerned and giving sound advice.

gkelly

Fine, whatever. If something bad happens then hey it isn't on any of us right? But from what I've seen with the posts about the "people and their info on the scene" they're clueless. Because if they truly knew what they were doing they wouldn't be pairing someone up who doesn't have basic skills from what we've been told.

I'm done being caring and concerned and giving sound advice.
Usually beginning I

gkelly

Usually beginning ice dancers partner with their coaches.

Sorry can't edit on phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information