UPDATED/CONFIRMED: Evgenia Medvedeva leaving Tutberidze for Orser

Meoima

I am afraid this is the real thing. You forget that Russia has got several timezones, so people in the Far East have elready seen the program.
The real thing is over 15 minuets or longer I heard so. This is just a promo.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Wow, I see it so differently.

I think if skating is to be authentic, you have to work with the skater you have. Some skaters are naturally fun and spirited, smiley etc. Yuna never fit into that category. Watch any interview with her off the ice or observe any part of her off ice life caught on camera. You see a reserved person who was pleasant but didn't smile a lot. Apparently when the cameras were off she was less reserved and funny but that was never her comfort level in public.

I would agree that her post 2010 skating wasn't nearly as compelling. Before that I felt energy to her performance and one of the things she does REALLY well is manage the position of her head to express the music in the same way you would position your arms or any body part. Those movements spoke in volumes to me with such a level of sophistication that I found both rivetting and unmatched in skating. Nichol has been teaching this to Sui as well. Watch Sui, say, pre 2016 and then really watch the short in Boston. She's not in your face facially but the position of her head brought so much to the performance and interpretation. Magic.

I don't require an OTT facial expression to be convinced someone is 'into' the performance. I value it more in ice dance where I see Krylova as the queen of projecting her face up into the rafters. I find the play-acting OTT surprised and joyous looks completely fake in a skater like Med who I do feel otherwise loves what she does. I think there's a new and mature level of authentic joy for skating that Wilson will tap into and showcase. I look forward to that.

Yu na's artistry struck me even before she turned senior. She used her body positions beautifully to express the music. To me, that is more important than OTT facial expressions. The ice dance 'artistry' really bothers me, although Krylova gets a pass from me because I loved K&O's skating so much (the Carmen OTT expressions still bothered me). The fake joy in ice dancing bothers me even more than the fake angst. I love it when the skating expresses the music without having to resort to fake facial expressions. That is why liked Berezhnaya so much, though she was slammed on fsu. I loved Sikharulidze too. There was nothing fake about him and he too was a wonderful skater.

Back to the Yu na and Evgenia discussion. I don't understand the criticism of Yu na. I was not her uber fan but I always found her very artistic in her musical interpretation through her skating (not just contorted facial muscles). In 2014 in particular she was the best artistically (except for Mao's incredible LP performance). Mao became a great artist later in her career (after 2010). Carolina at age 18 was nowhere the artist she later became. Actually she was nowhere near what Evgenia has been from 16-18 years of age. So it is inevitable that Zhenya will get better, but she does not deserve to be slammed right now. She did quite well for her age. Not many skaters are great artists in their teens. Oksana Baiul was an exception, in the depth of her expression.

I think Zhenya's choreography/ musical interpretation was geared toward a young skater who had not yet developed the sophistication, though I think she could have, if only they had tried. I assumed that she would develop, even with the Eteri-Averbukh team. I may have been wrong. Their focus was on her consistency, so they simplified the artistic side. The judges didn't care as long as she landed the jumps. They even gave high PCS to Zagitova because she landed the jumps, so the strategy had worked.Clearly Zhenya wants much more. She wants the OGM and develop a long term career too. Clearly it was not going to work out with Eteri whose main thrust was to create a factory of medals using younger skaters.

I think Zhenya is very capable of combining body positions and facial expressions for artistry. It was already there in her LP this year and exhibitions. She wouldn't have received the attention to improve artistically in Eteri's group. So a change was inevitable. The loss of OGM in 2018 may have hastened it.

Fairuza

The real thing is over 15 minuets or longer I heard so. This is just a promo.
No, I don’t think they’ll make different versions of the program for different timezones. It’s within the Sunday analysis of the news of the week, so it was shot earlier and was shown throughout the country at 9 p.m. Anyway, the time is over now in Moscow, and there’s no news of anything new.

Miki89

Not many skaters are great artists in their teens. Oksana Baiul was an exception, in the depth of her expression.

I can name quite a few skaters actually, besides Baiul, from the ladies discipline: Kwan, Lu Chen, Sasha Cohen, and though a pairs skater, Katia Gordeeva was amazing even in her teen years. I've always appreciated Mao's artistry, and some of her best programs were pre 2010 (Nocturne 1.0, Clair de Lune). There are skaters whose artistry grew as they aged (Kostner, Takahashi, Suzuki), but there are also skaters who I found more interesting artistically during their teenage years (Hanyu, Kim). So I think it simply comes down to the individual skater and your personal preferences.

Perky Shae Lynn

Look, Eteri has always been the teenager compared to all her former students. Nothing changes really.
At least she is consistent. This case looks worse because a) there is a clear pattern of petty behavior; b) Medvedeva is universally liked; and c) the traitor card was pulled. Eteri took it to the next level this time around. How is this situation perceived in Russia? Does she get a pass because she keeps producing champions, or is her behavior raising eyebrows?

Fairuza

At least she is consistent. This case looks worse because a) there is a clear pattern of petty behavior; b) Medvedeva is universally liked; and c) the traitor card was pulled. Eteri took it to the next level this time around. How is this situation perceived in Russia? Does she get a pass because she keeps producing champions, or is her behavior raising eyebrows?
It’s fifty-fifty. There are people who think she’s gone too far, but there are those who seriously call Medvedeva a traitor. It’s quite amusing to read. Seems to traditional for Russian athletes to sum up the Olympic cycle with some drama. Last time, it was Ilyinykh/Katsalapov split, now it’s this. Lots of entertainment available.

Meoima

At least now, the ice moms and dads at Sambo 70 know what to expect if one day their kids run away from Eteri. Various interviews on how their kids being lazy and childish.

berthesghost

The problem is that each one of them thinks it’s never gonna happen to them.
Maybe some of them. Some others may feel it’s a reasonable price to pay for world and oly medals and some others may look at the current situation, see how Med is getting most of the sympathy and decide their kid’s career can survive crazy eteri’s 19th nervous breakdown

babayaga

At least now, the ice moms and dads at Sambo 70 know what to expect if one day their kids run away from Eteri. Various interviews on how their kids being lazy and childish.
Now? Eteri has been this way with all of her past students, Lipnitskaya and Pitkeev most prominent. So I wouldn't think that current events are in any way eye-opening to those moms and dads.

Last edited:

babayaga

I don't feel like Eteri's behavior is raising eyebrows this time because I don't think she is taking it to the next level with Medvedeva. In my opinion her remarks about Pitkeev and Voronov were far worse, and except that one inappropriate revelation she barely said anything about Medvedeva's departure. I expected a lot worse knowing her style to be honest.

muffinplus

I can name quite a few skaters actually, besides Baiul, from the ladies discipline: Kwan, Lu Chen, Sasha Cohen, and though a pairs skater, Katia Gordeeva was amazing even in her teen years. I've always appreciated Mao's artistry, and some of her best programs were pre 2010 (Nocturne 1.0, Clair de Lune). There are skaters whose artistry grew as they aged (Kostner, Takahashi, Suzuki), but there are also skaters who I found more interesting artistically during their teenage years (Hanyu, Kim). So I think it simply comes down to the individual skater and your personal preferences.

I think Takahashi had great artistry already when he burst onto the scene in 2005 with his Tango de Roxanne and Rach programs.

Meoima

I don't feel like Eteri's behavior is raising eyebrows this time because I don't think she is taking it to the next level with Medvedeva. In my opinion her remarks about Pitkeev and Voronov were far worse, and except that one inappropriate revelation she barely said anything about Medvedeva's departure. I expected a lot worse knowing her style to be honest.
I am not sure you’re correct on Medvedeva’s mom. As far as I heard from her fans who met her at the meeting, Medvedeva’s mom has been busy and doesn’t even come to her competitions much. If you can find the comments made by Medvedeva’s mom we will talk about that.

babayaga

I am not sure you’re correct on Medvedeva’s mom. As far as I heard from her fans who met her at the meeting, Medvedeva’s mom has been busy and doesn’t even come to her competitions much. If you can find the comments made by Medvedeva’s mom we will talk about that.
You know, you are right actually. I just checked and those comments were made not by Medvedeva's mom, but Eteri's mom :eek: My apologies, I will edit my previous comment.

zoe111

You know, you are right actually. I just checked and those comments were made not by Medvedeva's mom, but Eteri's mom :eek: My apologies, I will edit my previous comment.
My understanding is Med’s mom works full time and barely makes even competitions. It’s the grandmother who goes with her.

Daena

Well, according to what I see on sports.ru and some forums I wouldn't say it's 50/50. I think the most active and the loudest users on Russian boards say Eteri is poor heartbroken darling, bullied by traitorous Medvedeva, cunning Orser, and decaying westerners who cannot raise their own champions, hence they are sabotaging Eteri's work.

Fairuza

Well, according to what I see on sports.ru and some forums I wouldn't say it's 50/50. I think the most active and the loudest users on Russian boards say Eteri is poor heartbroken darling, bullied by traitorous Medvedeva, cunning Orser, and decaying westerners who cannot raise their own champions, hence they are sabotaging Eteri's work.
You can’t take sports.ru seriously - that place is a cesspool any sane person should avoid like the plague. The fsonline forums are fifty-fifty.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
wait, Med went to frank carol and is now representing USA? :lol: do these people know Canada won worlds beating the oly champ, or was that info surpressed by the gov? :p
Oh what’s the difference? They are all rude decayed North Americans. Never mind the fact that the show Ice Age is allegedly 95% American tunes.

Hardly a scientific sample but what I’ve seen on social media is mostly a normal reaction, wishing Med all the best with only an occasional traitor post.

Last edited:

barbarafan

Dirt always rises to the top and sits there polluting

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information