U.S. Men in 2017 - articles & latest news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco

Jason's skating is beautiful but his long program is so boring. Every long program has been to the same style since 2015. It is no different to Karen Chen or Elizaveta Tuk skating to some sort of Tango every freakin' season!

Bellanca

These comments/posts are all over the map suggesting Jason is either brilliant, boring or brilliantly boring. :lol: I'm just happy to see the fight and fire this Oly year. Of course, I'd expect nothing less than this from Jason. Also, I think the two men who will feel the heat and pressure the most from a reinvigorated Jason will be Adam and Max. Nathan and Vincent, sure, but more so Rippon and Aaron.

sk9tingfan

Before Finlandia. I forgot who tweeted that but his mother liked the post attesting to its veracity. I kept on wondering during Finlandia, why he wasn't doing a Rippon lutz and that was probably due to the should that had been dislocated.

vesperholly

I actually liked Jason’s LP. And his SP. Glad I got to see them before getting pre-biased by too much internet chatter. ;)
I mean, it's not "Iceberg right ahead!" bad ... it's watchable. But it feels like a tepid rehash of last year's brilliant The Piano program. I feel like he could do better?

Firedancer

In the arena, Jason’s FS was beautiful and not at all boring. And while I was unsure about his SP when I saw the videos earlier, it was better in person. The quality of Jason’s skating was evident in both programs. All of his practices were also really strong.

jlai

Question everything
This is a nosy question but I hope to get an answer: is Nathan getting more endorsements than Evan back in 09-10? If so what is his appeal? Younger? Better looking?

Willin

@jlai If he is, I'd think it's because of longevity. Evan was at the tail end of his career, so the sponsors couldn't milk his success for long. Nathan's (hopefully) just starting a long and successful career, so he can stay on the sponsors' payroll for another 4-8 years pending continuing success.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Well, I think Nathan has a great deal more buzz-worthy accomplishments and success leading into the upcoming Olympics than did Evan, despite Evan having headed into 2010 Olympics as the 2009 World champion.

Evan was lucky to win Worlds over 'foot-in-mouth' Patrick Chan in L.A., and of course Evan was highly favored by U.S. fed over Jeremy Abbott and Johnny Weir (even though Abbott could not be denied the 2010 U.S. Nats win). Kinda too bad that Abbott couldn't save his U.S. Nats perfection for the Olympics that year.

shine

Also, Nathan just brings the cool factor :cool: Lysacek? Eh.

For real though, I don't think Lysacek was the clear front runner for the 2010 Olympic team like Nathan is for 2018. Abbott and Weir were generally considered better skaters than him while he was the more consistent one, despite being the reigning world champ.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
For real though, I don't think Lysacek was the clear front runner for the 2010 Olympic team like Nathan is for 2018. Abbott and Weir were generally considered better skaters than him while he was the more consistent one, despite being the reigning world champ.

True, but some influential members of USFS and Frank Carroll didn't think so, or moreso didn't care. ;)

olympic

This was the tweet after the men's event by a credentialed media person at Finlandia Trophy about Adam's shoulder: https://twitter.com/Ritti9/status/916727937226936323
I think it did affect some of his jump landings there but he performed well regardless.

Hopefully, all will be well by TEB [Is that where he competes next?]. How long does a separated shoulder take to heal? If he competed and competed well at Finlandia, I would imagine it's not that serious (?)

Cayuse

I love a jammies friendly job. :saint: I think I might send a pair to Javier... :sneaky:

I'm not so sure Jason and boring can realistically coexist in the same sentence, he's too much of a dynamic personality -- a sunshiny day.
Rode on the plane to Calgary with Jason and team.:) He was very comfy in his blue plaid flannel leisure pants (many would describe as jammies). So in blue velvet, Jason was quite dressed up!

yossalu

This is a nosy question but I hope to get an answer: is Nathan getting more endorsements than Evan back in 09-10? If so what is his appeal? Younger? Better looking?
I see a few major pluses in his column. First of all, he's doing the biggest tricks. The quad is the easiest thing to sell to the layman. They can position him as a figure skating Shaun White. He has this "California cool" air to him, which can appeal to the always important younger demographic.

Being of Chinese descent certainly doesn't hurt, either. These international companies can very easily move him into the sort of global marketing strategy that would not have been possible for Lysacek. And as mentioned above, he has a high ceiling and is positioned for future success. It's smart to get in now because his stock will certainly rise if he wins a medal or is seen as a long-term threat.

Sylvia

TBD
For @aftershocks and anyone else who may have missed these 2 USFS features:
(^^^ This photo of Max, Jason, Vincent & Adam is from the October issue of Skating magazine: http://content.digitalpub.blue-soho...SKATING/html/index.html?page=36&origin=reader )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph9Z7A3HrnU A very nice video put up today [Oct. 12, just over 2 minutes long] on Max.
ETA:
The South China Morning Post (based in Hong Kong) published an article last month about Vincent after the Team USA media summit about his upcoming Grand Prix debut in Beijing: http://www.scmp.com/sport/other-spo...or-figure-skating-world-champion-vincent-zhou

Last edited:

FSfan107

Also, Nathan just brings the cool factor :cool: Lysacek? Eh.

I don't think Evan had an edge over his competition like Nathan does with all of his quads, but I thought of Evan as the U.S.'s best hope out the guys they had because of his consistency and ability to rise to the occasion at big competitions. Abbott was superior in terms of skating quality, but unfortunately he was very inconsistent, even back in those days. By 2010, I thought Weir's jumping technique and even his presentation had deteriorated.

I can definitely see why more sponsors could be jumping on the Nathan train given his ability to do 6 quads in a program and the fact his career is just starting (and he's still a teenager).

olympic

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ I disagree with the total emphasis by Plushenko that quads and jumps specifically are the be-all, end-all for the sport of figure skating. If jumps are that important, another sport should be created along the lines of: X-treme Jumping Feats On-Ice. That's the problem and the dilemma. We are so far afield now of how the sport began and the important balance between art and sport. I know jump aficionados enjoy making fun of the art and performance side of the sport. But once again, as the sport tilts further and further toward emphasis on the jumps, fs (particularly men's and ladies) is fast becoming something else.

Obviously, TPTB are belatedly grappling with this very concern that with programs so tech-crammed, the skaters are unable to concentrate enough on the presentation aspects that are an essential part of figure skating. Again, I think that maybe there just needs to be an off-shoot sport, rather than this labeling of skaters like Jason, Adam, Alexander et al., as 'skaters from another era who can't be competitive.' It's the short-sightedness of TPTB coupled with their lack of leadership and vision that's responsible for the current problems engendered by deifying quads. The continuing short-sightedness in ISU's piecemeal plans to yet again nip-and-tuck at the rules will not solve matters.

Hmmm, below is an interesting excerpt from Ambesi's podcast (Max Ambesi with Angelo Dolfini), although I'm not sure I'm on board with all of these views: https://the-a-factor-fs.tumblr.com/post/166669560580/kiss-cry-episode-3

(H): Next question: will Jason Brown complete an FP with this planned content, two quads and eight triples, two of them being triple axels?

(M): Two quads and eight triples? Eh, no. I honestly don’t think he will. Trying that kind of layout would make him lose that quality that makes his programs stand out. The set up he would need for those elements would definitely affect his choreography. If he could execute them with the kind of entries he does for his triples, hats off to him, but… Angelo I don’t know if you remember when he used to try a 3A in the second half of the program and with a difficult entry…

(A): How could I not remember it… the success rate was very low.
(M): It’s obvious that if Jason Brown was able to do 4T and 4S in an FP, this would be a different story. But he wouldn’t be Jason Brown.

(A): Yes, it wouldn’t be in his nature… then of course, we wish to see him execute a quad well, and it’s always pleasant to see him skate clean, but what you said is the truth – this dream about two quads aside – I hope he will rotate them, but I don’t see it happening. The problem is that even doing another 3a is quite complex for him, and we are seeing athletes that do a 3A as the last jump in a program, because it’s almost the easiest jump in their program. At this moment, he can’t compete; he seems a skater from another era, - an excellent skater from another era - but still, he doesn’t have the content to compete with the others now, maybe not even at Nationals, where he might still be a contender, but he can’t win.

(M): We’ve already talked about this, it isn’t certain that he’ll go to the Olympics – and it would be a pity if he didn’t qualify – a skater like him would have been dominant in the 2007-2010 quad –“

(A): Just as it would be a pity not to see someone like Rippon, who has similar characteristics.

(M): Yes, you can compare them. Although Jason Brown’s programs are definitely more intricate than Rippon’s, and he has much more quality on skating skills.

(A): Yes, but when it comes to choreography and interpretation Adam isn’t far from him. Then, it’s true that Jason has something more when it comes to complexity and fluidity. He’s one of the best skaters when it comes to this. And he does have amazing spins as well.

(M): Yes, he’s probably the best when it comes to spins; he’s one of the few athletes who can reach the maximum points for spins, with both BV and GOE. Even Hanyu doesn’t have the same BV Jason Brown has on spins, and Hanyu is a skater with great quality on spins. Jason Brown also has many variations on spins that make him one of the top 3 skaters in the world for that. But this isn’t enough if you don’t have any quads. You said so before, he’s a skater from another era: Jason Brown could have dominated the 2007-2010 quad, he could have been there with Lysacek – given a stable 3A. Because then there’s also that problem.

Last edited:

skatfan

Interesting that Plushenko chooses Hanyu as probable OGM, but out of the other top men, states that Chen, Uno and Fernandez are the other likely medalists. He leaves out Chan and Biyang Jin

Plushy did mention Boyang an afterthought for the podium. But not Chan.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Abbott was superior in terms of skating quality, but unfortunately he was very inconsistent, even back in those days

Not really. I think it's an exaggeration to say that Jeremy was 'very inconsistent, even back in those days.' If that was the case, Jeremy would not have been able to ace U.S. Nationals competitions in 2009 and 2010 with two perfect performances both years.* Nor could he have mounted his comeback at 2012 U.S. Nats. Nor perform so exceedingly well in the sp in 2014. Jeremy was also very on in winning GPF in 2008. In fact, Jeremy won a number of medals on the senior GP, and he was well regarded internationally. *And remember that Jeremy skated a blinder directly after Evan in the sp at 2009 U.S. Nationals. It was like a test, and Jeremy passed with flying colors.

It was U.S. fed that kinda took Jeremy for granted in the era of Evan-Johnny rivalry. The major issue was Jeremy's jitters and miscues on the big stage in his sp at 2010 Olympics. What happened wasn't even a complete meltdown either, but it ended up labeling Jeremy. It was something he had to live down and come back from. U.S. fed actually wasn't a huge supporter of his either in his rebuilding efforts, which may in some way have hampered his confidence, particularly before and after the famous .19 snub of 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information