U.S. Ladies [#23]: Triple Axels? What a Novice Idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
That is too bad. What's wrong?
From what I recall reading (before her Instagram post was removed), she wrote, paraphrasing, that she doesn't want to compete again until she feels ready. Her right foot was pictured on her IG in a walking boot back in September.

ETA: She didn't mention Tallinn Trophy (about 1 week after Rostelecom Cup) so perhaps she may still compete there... or be moved to the final ISU Challenger, Golden Spin of Zagreb, December 5-8?

Last edited:

vesperholly

I have to say as someone who has primarily cheered for Nagasu (and to a lesser extent Gold), I've often overlooked Bell in the past; however, this weekend she really impressed me with her skating. I doubt she'll ever be a world beater, but I do think she could challenge for top of the podium at Nats. this year. Beyond that, her beautiful skating was a wonderful surprise during a weekend of wonderful skating.
It just goes to show what the right program can do for a skater. I have liked Mariah's skating since she was a junior, but there have been many poor music choices in her senior career. The FS music + Shae Lynn choreo is magic. :cheer2:

cgirl8

From what I recall reading (before her Instagram post was removed), she wrote, paraphrasing, that she doesn't want to compete again until she feels ready. Her right foot was pictured on her IG in a walking boot back in September.
Exact quote from the post:
"although I know that injures make me stronger, I also understand that it takes time. I need to be patient with this whole recovery process, so I realized that Russia isn't doable. This wasn't an easy decision, but I know that I want to feel 100% ready when I emerge back onto competitive ice."

Marco

I doubt this is a sudden event. I hope Karen is notifying the organizer with enough lead time for them to arrange for a substitute. Sometimes it isn't easy or quick to apply for a visa to Russia.

lurkz2

Seems like she gave them the same amount of lead time that most skaters do who drop out.

Is she dropping out for sure? Her name's still on the entries list. Maybe she changed her mind after she realized she'd be out of Nationals if she quits Rostelecom?

Sylvia

TBD
Karen already has an automatic bye to Nationals due to placing in the top 5 last year. I assume she "jumped the gun" in posting about her WD on her IG (instead of going through USFS and having them announce first/officially notify).

Last edited:

kwanatic

I can't say I'm surprised to hear about Karen withdrawing. The fact that she's basically been injured since the summer and hasn't competed since Pyeongchang did not inspire much hope for the GP this season. She just needs to take her time and get better. There isn't much of a rush at this point.

Any word on Gracie? Unless I've missed it, it's just been too quiet from her camp for her to show up in Russia ready to go. I could be wrong but to be honest, I'm expecting her to withdraw too. :(

I remember Mariah Bell blowing the house down at 2016 Skate America where I believe she even stole the show from Wagner. That one skate made me overvalue her chances for the next seasons. I had forgotten what a great skater she could be and I'm glad she's reminding all of us this season.

I've been a fan of Mariah's since her 2015 Titanic FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN_vZl68VD0

She's one of the more talented US women when it comes to being solid across the board: decent SS & TR, lovely performance, great spins and really lovely jumps when she's on. Her SA performance in 2016 proved that she has the goods to challenge for the top spot for the US women but she struggled so much with inconsistency. She seems stronger this year. 135+ for an international FS score is massive and the fact that she did that without a 3-3 is amazing. It means the quality of her jumps, other elements and performance was recognized and rewarded by the judges.

If she can put together the strong SP (with 3-3) and hit this layout for the FS at nationals, I think she'd really challenge Bradie for that #1 position and could possibly beat her.

wickedwitch

I can't say I'm surprised to hear about Karen withdrawing. The fact that she's basically been injured since the summer and hasn't competed since Pyeongchang did not inspire much hope for the GP this season. She just needs to take her time and get better. There isn't much of a rush at this point.

Any word on Gracie? Unless I've missed it, it's just been too quiet from her camp for her to show up in Russia ready to go. I could be wrong but to be honest, I'm expecting her to withdraw too. :(
I'm not expecting her to withdraw, because if she does, she loses her bye to Nats. But that's literally the only thing I expect from Gracie this week skating-wise.

just wondering

Golden Spin entries were published today and 3 U.S. ladies are listed (and no subs): Mariah Bell, Bradie Tennell and Megan Wessenberg.

Must USFS list subs to replace a skater at a Challenge Series event? Or can assigned skaters be used as place holders if no subs are listed?

Dobre

To show how uneven these GP events have been, Mariah's 5th place score at NHK would have earned her a bronze at Skate America and silver at Finland.

GPF qualifiers really needs to be determined by scores.

Regardless of the field (which was terrific at NHK this season), the scores at NHK are always likely to outpace Skate America. People are more ready. Scores already determine tie-breakers. And homefield and high-scoring events already have too much of an impact in who makes the Final, IMO.

Frida80

Golden Spin entries were published today and 3 U.S. ladies are listed (and no subs): Mariah Bell, Bradie Tennell and Megan Wessenberg.

For some reason they always allow substitute not on the list in Zagreb. Last year when both Karen and Bradie dropped out, they put in Emmy and Hannah Miller as replacements even though they weren't on the list.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Must USFS list subs to replace a skater at a Challenge Series event? Or can assigned skaters be used as place holders if no subs are listed?
It depends on the willingness of the host federation (and the ISU too?).
For some reason they always allow substitute not on the list in Zagreb. Last year when both Karen and Bradie dropped out, they put in Emmy and Hannah Harrel as replacements even though they weren't on the list.
Hannah Miller, not Hanna Harrell. :) Yes, Golden Spin has shown a tendency to be more flexible re. last-minute additions than other CS competitions.

Frida80

It depends on the willingness of the host federation (and the ISU too?).

Hannah Miller, not Hanna Harrell. :) Yes, Golden Spin has shown a tendency to be more flexible re. last-minute additions than other CS competitions.

Yikes I did it again. Let me correct that.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
To show how uneven these GP events have been, Mariah's 5th place score at NHK would have earned her a bronze at Skate America and silver at Finland.

GPF qualifiers really needs to be determined by scores.

They are about to be even more uneven with Rostelecom... but thats how Rostelecom always is.

Willin

Ashley's doing a great job on Olympic Channel's coverage. She sounds a bit nervous, but she provides some really good insight and knows when to shut up during a program. It's also interesting to hear some of her coaching/skating opinions on the technique of skaters.

Tinami Amori

They are about to be even more uneven with Rostelecom... but thats how Rostelecom always is.

Rostelecom's original roster was quite even... until some National Champions and World Medalists started to withdraw ..;)

Also, when the invitations were given during past summer, it was not known that Tuktamysheva is planning a comeback with 3A and the "attitude". Originally Japan too invited their 3 top ladies, and did not invite Med or Zag, by the way.. :D

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
^^^ yeah, Their Dance selection was a joke. I had to google 2 teams to even see who they were.

Also pairs.

Its like they are sooooooo worried to get their teams medals that they dig way (I mean wayy) down the list to complete their rosters.

Marco

Golden Spin for Mariah and Bradie may just be the preview for the battle of the National title this season...

Frida80

Golden Spin for Mariah and Bradie may just be the preview for the battle of the National title this season...

I don’t think either are going. At least not Bradie. She dropped out last year to focus on nationals. When Ashley dropped out in 2016, she mentioned it would take several days out of her training. Which is true. She has to stop training to go the competition then has to take a few days off to get over the jet lag.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Yes, Golden Spin has shown a tendency to be more flexible re. last-minute additions than other CS competitions.
I'm guessing because TES minimums need to be earned 21 days before championships, which, for Euros, usually means by the end of December. This season, Golden Spin is the last "open" international event of the year for Seniors and includes all disciplines. For 4C's, they have two more weeks to get the TES minimums, but there is no Pairs event at Mentor Turun and only singles for EduSport the first full week of January 2019.

Although a lot of the skaters mentioned upthread don't need the minimums, it makes sense for them to be consistently tolerant :)

Last edited:

aml78

Is it safe to say yet that Gracie isn’t dropping out and we will see her in Russia? I know many people expected she would never actually make it to this competition.

kwanatic

Is it safe to say yet that Gracie isn’t dropping out and we will see her in Russia? I know many people expected she would never actually make it to this competition.

I'll admit it: I'm skeptical. Maybe once we see an official practice video that will alleviate some of the doubt...assuming she appears to be in competitive form. If she's looking the way Polina looked last year at her events, expect the withdrawal conversation to continue.

Anyone know where I can watch Olympic Channel coverage of the women's event for NHK? I'm interested to hear Ashley's commentary.

aml78

I'll admit it: I'm skeptical. Maybe once we see an official practice video that will alleviate some of the doubt...assuming she appears to be in competitive form. If she's looking the way Polina looked last year at her events, expect the withdrawal conversation to continue.

Anyone know where I can watch Olympic Channel coverage of the women's event for NHK? I'm interested to hear Ashley's commentary.

I agree. I won’t believe it until I see her live. fingers crossed.

About Ashley, not sure. Much of it hasn’t aired yet. Pairs was last night so those videos may pop up on YouTube. The rest of the disciplines air each night this week.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Does she keep her bye to Nationals if she does the SP and then withdraws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information