U.S. Ice Dance 2016/17 season - news & updates

VGThuy

People see this excitement, but I find them boring and not compelling to watch. I'll watch more of their videos and come back to you guys later.

suki

:confused:
Ramalama was taken DIRECTLY from Wade Robson's concept and choreography on SYTYCD. Right down to the costumes and makeup. That does not make M/C unique or special.

They are powerful, aggressive, and strong- no doubt. Original and unique, not so much. It will be interesting to see how they make the jump into a very strong Senior field.

Interesting. P/C copy their Mozart FD move-for-move from a ballet (the choreographer's name escapes me at the moment), and they and their coaching team are hailed with such terms as "brilliant," groundbreaking," "greatest ever," blah, blah.:confused:

Twizzler

Interesting. P/C copy their Mozart FD move-for-move from a ballet (the choreographer's name escapes me at the moment), and they and their coaching team are hailed with such terms as "brilliant," groundbreaking," "greatest ever," blah, blah.:confused:

My response was about M/C. Only. I never claimed that P/C were "brilliant or groundbreaking." In fact, I've never mentioned P/C or any other teams ability (or lack of) to be innovative. Just stated a fact that Ramalama was directly copied from Wade Robson's choreography and concept.

I never said M/C weren't good- in fact, I stated that they are very powerful and aggressive. I do not happen to think they are the least bit original. Sorry if you disagree. A team can be very good without being original and vice versa....

thvu

Usova's Apprentice

If this were true, P&C's Mozart would be a different program with overt sexual overtones.

cheerknithanson

My response was about M/C. Only. I never claimed that P/C were "brilliant or groundbreaking." In fact, I've never mentioned P/C or any other teams ability (or lack of) to be innovative. Just stated a fact that Ramalama was directly copied from Wade Robson's choreography and concept.

I never said M/C weren't good- in fact, I stated that they are very powerful and aggressive. I do not happen to think they are the least bit original. Sorry if you disagree. A team can be very good without being original and vice versa....

I understand your point. Like I myself wish they skated to more contemporary songs. Like some pop, rock, alternative, etc. I really believe they can do well skating to contemporary songs. Just like with their exhibition from the 2015-2016 season to "I Want it that Way" by the Backstreet Boys. https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x...nter-2016-world-junior-championships-ex_sport

Dobre

You can skate to contemporary music and not be original. (In fact, two years ago it seemed like about every other exhibition program looked exactly the same). And you can skate to classical music and be original. (In movement, interpretation, etc). Which is not at all to say that I don't appreciate those athletes who tackle different music, musical forms, and versatility. I appreciate all of these things very much.

laviemn

Hawayek/Baker announcing music choices without any news about coaching changes leads me to believe that the rumors about the dissolution of their coaching team aren't true. Have I missed any news about this? Or about Weaver/Poje going to Zueva?

Debbie S

FYI, Ice-dance.com is posting Chesapeake Open results and pics on their Facebook page.

I saw the Junior SD - I think most teams had at least 1 stumble but that's to be expected at this point in the season, with new programs. Most teams did blues and hip-hip (standard format seems to be blues for most of the dance and then hip-hop for the last min or so, for the footwork sequence). Gunter/Wein started with hip-hop (Paula Abdul's Straight Up) and then went to blues. Both Gunter/Wein and the Greens wore black and neon patterned costumes (hello 80s, lol). Lewis/Bye did blues and swing (didn't recognize their blues music but the swing part was Jumpin Jack by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy), their twizzles seemed a bit wild but looked like they hung on. Carreira/Ponamarenko looked good except for a stumble on twizzles, good speed - they both project the music and rhythm very well.

Moustaffask8r

So I guess C/P really stand out from the other.... 57.52, 8 points apart from second place and seems like no twizzles !
Any pictures???

Dobre

Any information about music?

Debbie has been posting further details in the Kiss & Cry thread entitled Chesapeake Open. (I believe it's accessible to everyone right now).

Carreira & Ponomarenko's FD: Moonlight Sonata
Lewis & Bye's FD: Rhapsody in Blue/Embraceable You/I've Got Rhythm
Green & Green's FD: Bang, Bang He Shot Me Down + something else

Sylvia

TBD
6 teams received GP assignments (4 got 2, 2 got 1) on June 30 (10 slots, 1 TBA):

Skate America (Oct. 21-23): Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue, Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani, TBA
Skate Canada (Oct. 28-30): Madison Chock & Evan Bates, Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker
Rostelecom Cup (Nov. 4-6): Madison Chock & Evan Bates, Elliana Pogrebinsky & Alex Benoit (GP debut)
Trophée de France (Nov. 11-13): Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue
Cup of China (Nov. 18-20): Anastasia Cannuscio & Colin McManus, Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani
NHK Trophy (Nov. 25-27): Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker

For the GP skaters, USFS' Champs Camp in Colorado Springs is August 20-24, 2016.

USFS currently lists 8 ISU Challengers & 1 regular Senior B on their 2016-17 International Assignments page (6 take place before the start of the Grand Prix):

Not listed by USFS - Lake Placid Ice Dance International (Senior/Junior/Adv. Novice), July 27-30, 2016: http://www.lakeplacidskating.com/events/lpicedanceintl.php

Lombardia Trophy (*Bergamo*, ITA)
Sept. 7-11, 2016

U.S. International Classic (Salt Lake City, USA)
Sept. 14-18, 2016

Nebelhorn Trophy (Obertsdorf, GER)
Sept. 22-24, 2016

Autumn Classic Intl. (Montreal, CAN)
Sept. 28-Oct. 1, 2016

Ondrej Nepela Trophy (Bratislava, SVK)
Sept. 28-Oct. 2, 2016

Finlandia Trophy (Espoo, FIN)
Oct. 6-9, 2016

Ice Challenge (Graz, AUT) *not part of the Challenger series this year*
Nov. 15-20, 2016

U.S. Sectionals (Eastern/Midwestern/Pacific Coast) - final Nationals qualifier
Nov. 17-20, 2016

Tallinn Trophy (Tallinn, EST)
Nov. 22-27, 2016

Golden Spin (Zagreb, CRO)
Dec. 7-10, 2016

Last edited:

Jammers

Unbelievable that M/C didn't move up and decide to push themselves against the top teams in the world and instead stay at a level that will not make them a better team next season. Their coaches don't seem willing to take chances and are playing it way to safe. And exactly what does winning a 3rd US Junior title do for them? :wall:

Sylvia

TBD
Gigi Becker and Luca Becker (J8) and Lydia Erdman & Alexey Shchepetov recently were removed from USFS' International Selection Pool (assumption is both teams have split although I have yet to see an official announcement about the Beckers).

Hopefully Julia Biechler and Damian Dodge (J5) will be added to the ISP as a senior team by later this summer (they qualified for the 2016-17 Team C envelope due to their JGP bronze medal in Austria last year), and will receive at least one international assignment, along with Danielle Thomas/Daniel Eaton (S6) and Karina Manta/Joseph Johnson (S7) - these 2 teams are already in the ISP.

Charlotte Maxwell/Ryan Devereaux (S8) may be considered for the ISP as well - Maxwell mentioned they will compete next in Lake Placid (July 27-30) and posted this fun video last week: https://www.instagram.com/p/BHNYba2BtIG/?taken-by=charlotteamaxwell
"Hip hop with the incredible [Serge Onik] this past weekend at @usfigureskating dance camp!"

Hubbell/Donohue are entered again in the Quebec Summer Championships, August 4-7 (I've posted a list of Senior entries in the Ice Dance discussion thread for those without Kiss & Cry access): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...dance-fans-2016-17.98503/page-12#post-4821714
Aya Takai (J11 at 2016 U.S. Nationals)/Dominic Barthe CAN S9 (new) are entered in Sr. for Canada.

Last edited:

Dobre

I have yet to see an official announcement about the Beckers).

Hmm. I was thinking they were in that photo from dance camp. Likely shows how poorly I identified umpteen other people.

So currently we have . . .

Payton Howland, Cameron Colucci, Avonlea Nguyen, possibly the Beckers, etc.

There's some talent up in the air there.

Meanwhile, this makes six open U.S. dance spots on the JGP from last season. I'm assuming Gropman & Somerville will get a second one and Gunter & Wein could take two. Any thoughts on the other two spots? Maybe Efimova & Petrov.

Sylvia

TBD
Hmm. I was thinking they [Beckers] were in that photo from dance camp. Likely shows how poorly I identified umpteen other people.
It's possible that split teams/teams removed from the ISP may still have been allowed to attend the dance camp?

Avonlea Nguyen [Int2] removed her IPS profile a while back - hopefully because she has found a partner.
Meanwhile, this makes six open U.S. dance spots on the JGP from last season. I'm assuming Gropman & Somerville will get a second one and Gunter & Wein could take two. Any thoughts on the other two spots? Maybe Efimova & Petrov.
Lake Placid IDC should clarify things. Gunter/Wein and new dance teams have yet to be added to the ISP.

Replying to @Dobre's question in the GP Assignments thread here:
Are these two [Biechler & Dodge] committed to skating next season? Because if they are, why are they not on the ISP when they're on this list?
Yes, they reportedly are. Perhaps because junior teams from 2016 Nationals that have aged out of ISU Junior events have to get a senior score in a summer competition before they can be considered?

Dobre

Yes, they reportedly are. Perhaps because junior teams from 2016 Nationals that have aged out of ISU Junior events have to get a senior score in a summer competition before they can be considered?

But not Pogrebinsky & Benoit? Because they moved up before aging out? The criteria Biechler & Dodge met qualifies them for the same tier & same envelope as P&B so I'm just trying to clarify why the difference?

Yes, I hope Avonlea has found a partner. And a good one!

Thank you for all your thoughts & answers.

Sylvia

TBD
But not Pogrebinsky & Benoit? Because they moved up before aging out? The criteria Biechler & Dodge met qualifies them for the same tier & same envelope as P&B so I'm just trying to clarify why the difference?
My assumption is that Pogrebinsky/Benoit were included in the initial ISP because they still are ISU Junior age-eligible in 2016-17 and Biechler/Dodge are not (ditto for 2016 Junior pairs champs Weinberg/Fernandez who also are not yet listed in the ISP).

Sylvia

TBD
From Eliiana Pogrebinsky & Alex Benoit's FB page last month: https://www.facebook.com/Pogrebinsk...692358919836/1232400836782319/?type=3&theater
We've been having a royal time bringing to life our blues/swing SD, set to the most iconic music from the American songwriting team of Leiber & Stoller [Smokey Joe's Cafe]. We will debut this sexy, sassy and flashy program at Lake Placid...

First IDC photos of the new season!

2016 Chesapeake Open Free Dance of Senior/Junior teams: http://www.ice-dance.com/site/photos-2016-chesapeake-open/

Dance camp the same weekend: http://www.ice-dance.com/site/photos-2016-u-s-figure-skating-dance-camp/

Sylvia

TBD
For those with Kiss & Cry access, the 2016 Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships practice groups list was posted today and, from it, I've compiled the entries by level here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...-international-july-27-30.98893/#post-4829304
Competition dates are July 27-30.

U.S. teams are copied out below (I assume the Senior/Junior international entry list is not yet published):

SENIOR
Danielle Thomas / Daniel Eaton S6 at 2016 Nationals
Charlotte Maxwell / Ryan Devereaux S8
Kseniya Ponomaryova / Oleg Altukhov S11

JUNIOR
Lorraine McNamara / Quinn Carpenter J1
Christina Carreira / Anthony Ponomarenko J4
Caroline Green / Gordon Green USA N1
Alina Efimova / Alexander Petrov USA, (new)

NOVICE
Allie Rose / Spencer Emerson N8
Leah Krauskopf / Caleb Niva N9
Claire Purnell / Luke Purnell N11
Cherri Chen / Yuanshi Jin N12
Elizabeth Tkachenko / Alexei Kiliakov Int1
Isabella Amoia / Cory Fraiman Int3
Jordan Lin / Morgan Sletten Int4
Isabel Blahunka / Will Shawver Int5
Katarina DelCamp / Maxwell Gart (new)
Molly Cesanek / Nikolay Usanov (new)
Lindsey Grigg / Vincent Kirov (new)

INTERMEDIATE
Maria Soldatova / Faddey Soldatov Juv2
Claire Cain / Andrei Davydov Juv3
Paulina Brykalova / Daniel Brykalov Juv5
Olivia Sebastiani / Dillon Berry Juv6
Anna Pettersson / TJ Carey
Oona Brown / Gage Brown
Cordelia Pride / Benjamin Lawless (new)
Dana Vulaj / Volodymyr Patsukevych (new)

JUVENILE
Nastia Efimova / Jonathan Zhao Juv7
Alice Serbin / Kenan Slevira Juv9
Ashley Cohen / Camden Rider Juv12
Elliana Peal / Ethan Peal
Veronica Chunikhin / Maxim Korotcov
Rebecca Ogorodnikov / Matthew Sperry (new)
Isabella Hagan / Shawn Hagan, Jr
Sabrina Foti / Christian Bennett
?
Mika Amdour
Kristina Bland
Gabriel Francis
Emma L'Esperance

Last edited:
Reactions: mai

mai

JUNIOR
Lorraine McNamara / Quinn Carpenter J1
Christina Carreira / Anthony Ponomarenko J4
Caroline Green / Gordon Green USA N1
Alina Efimova / Alexander Petrov USA, (new)

Do you know why Caleb and Emma not listed for junior in LP?

mai

It's possible they are entered in the international event? The ISU Senior/Junior international (LPIDI) entries have not yet been published online.

That would be different ...and perhaps better for them?

JSB

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...cf08e0-4480-11e6-88d0-6adee48be8bc_story.html

This talks about McNamara/Carpenter and a pinch about the Parsons. I literally freaked out a pinch when I saw the article.

“A lot of coaches, once they reach a higher level, they stop concentrating on the younger ones,” Novak said. “Then at some point it fizzles out.”

Oh, really? So far, it hasn't fizzled for Shpilband, Zueva, and many others.
In the meantime, the Wheaton Academy hasn't produced a single Senior team - 15 years, and we are still waiting ...

VGThuy

I thought the bread and butter of almost every coach's business are the younger and/or lower-level students.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information