U.S. Ice Dance 2016/17 season - news & updates

Dobre

Chemistry66

Yes, it was funny when they all skated out for the warm-up. The ladies I was sitting with & I agreed that we all liked the team in the dark blue/purple costumes.

It was the same with the top four senior teams during the SD. Black, black, black, or black.

And another matter: I was watching videos of some of the Junior Short Dances and even though the patterns are different colors/designs, Green/Green and Gunter/Wein both had black costumes with neon colored designs and I got somewhat confused for a sec.

Dobre

Green/Green and Gunter/Wein both had black costumes with neon colored designs and I got somewhat confused for a sec.

But in this case, the question was . . .
Did you like the team with the different colored neon skate laces?
Or the team with the different colored neon knee patches?

My mother said it looked to her like Wheaton Academy threw a giant hip hop party last spring, and she wouldn't have wanted to be the coach to tell any of those kids they couldn't do hip hop this season either. LOL.

sap5

Yes, it was funny when they all skated out for the warm-up. The ladies I was sitting with & I agreed that we all liked the team in the dark blue/purple costumes.

It was the same with the top four senior teams during the SD. Black, black, black, or black.

I think this might be one of the reasons I like the Gilles/Poirier SD.

Sylvia

TBD
In her blog for Ice Network, Christina Carreira signed her name in Chinese. So cute.
Here's the link to read her blog from Taipei: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017...101-carriera-explores-junior-worlds-host-city

ETA:

Two pre-Worlds media teleconference calls happened on Monday:

Chock & Bates: http://web.icenetwork.com/video/topic/220125674/v1243493983
Lynn Rutherford's tweet:
Call: Since 4CCs [C/B] changed partial step sequence in SD; worked on footwork, "Made a lot of progress."

Hubbell & Donohue: http://web.icenetwork.com/video/topic/220125674/v1243590383
Rutherford's tweet:
[H/D] on step levels: "We have to stay calm, not give in to mental struggle, the devil on your shoulder"
I believe the Shibutanis' call is on Thursday afternoon.

Last edited:

DDNatalia

Exciting to see the visibility and profile of US ice dancers continuing to rise for a broader audience. Go USA Ice dancers!

PEOPLE Magazine feature on Maia and Alex Shibutani ahead of worlds
http://people.com/sports/meet-the-s...sister-duo-taking-over-the-ice-skating-world/

Charlie White covering Worlds for the ISU doing behind the scenes social media
https://twitter.com/ISU_Figure/status/847005796277932032

Tumi Luggage @TumiTravel - Maia and Alex featured again. Sweet pairing of world class luxury brand with world class athletes
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSL0lHZAdHr/?taken-by=tumitravel&hl=en

Willin

I'm insanely happy for Hubbel & Donahue, but what the heck? It's so weird for ice dance results to shake things up like that!

Still, what a great finish for all the US teams in the SP! Our ice dance program is still going strong! :cheer2:

VGThuy

Well, it's been a while since the event occurred and I'm surprised there haven't been any congratulatory posts about the Shibs medaling and thus ensuring us 3 spots for the Olympics next season especially considering how close we could have been to losing it after the FD. And for being the only American medalists at Worlds.

skateboy

Well, it's been a while since the event occurred and I'm surprised there haven't been any congratulatory posts about the Shibs medaling and thus ensuring us 3 spots for the Olympics next season especially considering how close we could have been to losing it after the FD. And for being the only American medalists at Worlds.
Well then, I will.

HUGE congrats to the Shibs for winning the bronze medal, the USA's only medal at these Worlds!!

:encore::respec::cheer::cheer2::biggrinbo

You held it together when it counted. Way to go, Maia and Alex!

semogal

I am pretty sure that I will never watch the FD portion of this year's Worlds ever again. To say it wasn't the US teams day is an understatement. I think all 3 of them would like do overs. New skating rule: NEVER HAVE WORLDS ON APRILS FOOLS DAY!

CassAgain

I'm still too gutted about yesterday to be happy about the bronze medal. The Shibs were underscored in both portions, Chock and Bates were great in the SD and lackluster in the free, and...I can't even yet with H/D.

Great that the US have the spots, but we could have been 3, 4, and 5, and I would have been happy for any order within those places.

VGThuy

"Meh", huh? I guess it's not worth acknowledging that had the Shibs not kept it together, again, then one of the people's preferred teams would have missed out at the Olympics next season. How much more devastating would that have been? Especially for a team that narrowly missed out last time.

I just find the lack of enthusiasm interesting compared to the way Jason, Karen, Ashley, and Nathan were noted for saving/gaining 3 spots without having to medal.

Barbara Manatee

It isn't anything against the Shibs (or Chock and Bates), it's because there were never any doubts that the US would have three teams in dance compared to weeks and months of agonizing over spots in the other disciplines. But cheers indeed to Maia and Alex and Madi and Evan for getting the job done!

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
It isn't anything against the Shibs (or Chock and Bates), it's because there were never any doubts that the US would have three teams in dance compared to weeks and months of agonizing over spots in the other disciplines. But cheers indeed to Maia and Alex and Madi and Evan for getting the job done!

And we can no longer be this complacent with our dance teams. It's no longer an era where just 2 teams dominate the entire quad. This result was a little too close for comfort.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Sorry if I can't get all excited for the Shibs when the two other US teams had utterly devastating moments yesterday. Those are what's sticking with me. I'm not an H/D uber, but that was rough to watch.

CassAgain

I realize that I'm a U.S. ice dance uber, but not an uber for any individual team right now. I am relieved that the Shibs and C/B saved the spots, but really bummed that there wasn't really a triumphant moment for any of the teams except H/D in the short.

U.S. Nationals were similarly less than joyous because H/B had their disaster during their glorious FD. I want them ALL to be happy! (And that's almost certainly impossible.)

jiejie

I thought the Tech Panel and particularly Dostatni would be loaded for bear for the Shibs, downgrading every level they could, and I wasn't wrong. Glad Maia/Alex got the bronze despite panel efforts--IMO it was deserved based on what was put on the ice by all the skaters.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I thought the Tech Panel and particularly Dostatni would be loaded for bear for the Shibs, downgrading every level they could, and I wasn't wrong. Glad Maia/Alex got the bronze despite panel efforts--IMO it was deserved based on what was put on the ice by all the skaters.

The only unusual level call they had was the Level 2 on the partial steps in the SD, and Tanith and Ben (who are always very complimentary of the Shibs) pointed out on NBCSN that they looked to be on some flat edges in that sequence.

DreamsofBliss

Also, at the point the Shibs skated, there wasn't the exact pressure of needing to keep the spots on them (like Karen or S/K had), only one team had underperformed so far. They didn't need to medal to keep the spot, either, they only needed to come in 6th or 7th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information