Traveling to Scandinavia - May be

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am close to making a decision to travel to Scandinavia (Denmark, Norway, Sweden but not Finland) this year. The issue I have is that the trip will start around mid September and end just before September end. Is that going to be too cold to enjoy? I avoided summer because the air fares have gone through the roof, for June-Aug.

Would I need snow boots for this trip? I am planning on carrying my usual winter gear - winter jacket, scarf, hat, gloves. The only thing I would like to avoid are the snow boots because I will be limited to one checked in suitcase and a small carry on. The snow boots will occupy a major part of my luggage. I assume the days will be short.
Is it even worth going there at this time of the year?

I do have a plan B (and a plan C) if this turns out to be a bad idea. Plan B is to go there next year in May because I have a reservation for a river cruise in Amsterdam that ends at the end of April. So I could do Scandinavia in early May. Is that too cold too?

I would appreciate information, suggestions, etc.

Miezekatze

Are you going to travel to bigger cities or around the country to very rural or northern parts?

You can see average weather info for several cities in those countries for example here:

I was in Sweden and Finland in March and never needed snowboots ;)

Unless you go to very rural or very northern areas, I don't think weather will be much of an issue either in September or May. You might even be overdressed in winter gear, since it's unlikely to have freezing temperatures, but it's of course always better to be on the safe side with warm clothes than the other way round.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Are you going to travel to bigger cities or around the country to very rural or northern parts?

You can see average weather info for several cities in those countries for example here:

I was in Sweden and Finland in March and never needed snowboots ;)

Unless you go to very rural or very northern areas, I don't think weather will be much of an issue either in September or May. You might even be overdressed in winter gear, since it's unlikely to have freezing temperatures, but it's of course always better to be on the safe side with warm clothes than the other way round.

This sounds pretty good. I won't need my Alaska winter jacket. Just a medium cold winter jacket should be enough, but I could take the next level- regular winter jacket- just to be safe.
Thank you!

I will be mostly in the cities, not in the rural areas.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
Denmark will not be cold in September. It may be rainy, but expect mild temperatures. I would recommend a light jacked against wind and rain, but somedays might be tshirt weather, some days a warm sweater.

Depending on where you travel in Sweden and Norway it could be colder, but for bigger cities it would not be much different. Remember when looking at latitude that the temperatures will not be comparable to North America because of the Gulf Stream.

I'd recommend bringing lightweight layered clothing too. The weather in Denmark can change drastically from hour to hour, due to the costal climate.

Have fun on your trip, I hope it works out.

sus2850

You do not need snow boots. And the days are long enough (sunrise around 6 or 6.30 am, sunset 7 or 7.30 for Stockholm/Oslo). And: why not Finland?

screech

Sweden will likely be chilly but not frigid (especially in the evenings). I'd suggest bringing layers, as you never really know what to expect, though you will not need winter outerwear or boots (though some wellies, as mentioned above wouldn't be remiss).

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
You do not need snow boots. And the days are long enough (sunrise around 6 or 6.30 am, sunset 7 or 7.30 for Stockholm/Oslo). And: why not Finland?
The tour does not include Finland. I would love to visit there on my own, but that would make my trip much longer (and more expensive).

They had another tour that covered the capitals of all 4 countries but I wanted to see more than just the capitals.

ETA- I have finalized the trip. Now it's a matter of packing my bag with the right clothes, etc.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I don't have rain boots (Wellies?)- I live in a desert. I had bought a pair of rain boots when I went to Washington State in February 2020. They are heavy, big, and likely to occupy a major part of my suitcase. I am limited to just one suitcase and a small carry On.

I have waterproof shoes that cover upto the ankles and are easier to carry. Will they be enough?

acraven

That's the sort of footwear I take on trips to areas I expect will be rainy--Scotland, Normandy, Brittany, tje north coast of Spain, Scandinavia, etc. I've never regretted that choice. Boots are far too heavy and bulky.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The May be in the title of this thread is actually happening this very moment. I have already visited Copenhagen and have spent 5 days in Norway so far. Had many sunny days. Some drizzle today. Tomorrow there is rain in the forecast for the first time since I arrived. I have the waterproof shoes (not Welles), if needed. The scenery in Norway is breath taking. I am sure in winter it is even more beautiful (but I won't come here in winter).

I felt that I had brought enough warm clothes but this place is so cold that even hotel rooms are too cold for a desert dweller like me. Since this is an organized tour it is a bit hectic but with my limited time this works for me. I had to drop the idea of going to Helsinki for a few days after this tour is over- time wont allow it even if I had the money (I don't).

I had considered canceling this tour or replacing it with a shorter tour but the penalties would have cost me too much. So here I am in Norway and living it. Will go to Sweden in a couple days.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Visited Lillehammer today. I absolutely wanted to see this town. Next we went to Hamar where the figure skating took place. We only saw the building from a distance but I was not sure it was the same building. It had the shape of a Viking ship. I mentioned the name NorthernLights to the tour director. He didn’t know the name but seemed to think the Viking ship was the FS menu. I don’t remember it well. I am sure someone here does.

On our way to Lillehammer the tour director mentioned the Nancy Tonya controversy. He even played a video of it, with Nancy crying “why why ..,”, then parts of the skating were shown, with Oksana winning. This must be somewhere on yt. Just my luck that I had to watch this again LOL.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It is not terribly cold nor terribly wet even though there is some rain. I used my waterproof shoes yesterday and part of today but by tomorrow I am going to use my regular walking shoes. It is expected to be dry again and possibly sunny. I am in a small town named Karlstadt in Sweden today.

Sylvia

TBD
Visited Lillehammer today. I absolutely wanted to see this town. Next we went to Hamar where the figure skating took place. We only saw the building from a distance but I was not sure it was the same building. It had the shape of a Viking ship.
The "upside down Viking ship" arena you saw was used for the long track speed skating events at the 1994 Olympics:

From wiki - "Nordlyshallen" (previously known as the Hamar Olympic Amphitheatre from 1992–2015) was the 1994 Olympics figure skating venue in Hamar: "The venue has a capacity for 7,000 spectators and was built for the 1994 Winter Olympics, where it was used for short track speed skating and figure skating." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CC_Amfi

Hope you're enjoying the trip - Scandinavia (Denmark, Norway, Sweden) has long been on my travel bucket list.

ETA:
I had to drop the idea of going to Helsinki for a few days after this tour is over- time wont allow it even if I had the money (I don't).
I LOVED what I saw of Helsinki during 2017 Worlds and would go back in a flash. :)

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The "upside down Viking ship" arena you saw was used for the long track speed skating events at the 1994 Olympics:

From wiki - "Nordlyshallen" (previously known as the Hamar Olympic Amphitheatre from 1992–2015) was the 1994 Olympics figure skating venue in Hamar: "The venue has a capacity for 7,000 spectators and was built for the 1994 Winter Olympics, where it was used for short track speed skating and figure skating." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CC_Amfi

Hope you're enjoying the trip - Scandinavia (Denmark, Norway, Sweden) has long been on my travel bucket list.

ETA:

I LOVED what I saw of Helsinki during 2017 Worlds and would go back in a flash. :)
Looking at the Viking ship building I wondered if it was a speed skating arena. It looked too long for FS or short track. I think the tour director was confused. He had not heard the name Northern lights hall/arena.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Did a cruise in Stockholm today. The metro ride with a guide was interesting but tiring. I was tired when I returned to the hotel. Decided to take a shower but the shower was not working. The hotel offered me another room, on a different floor. After I moved one bag there, the key could not open the door. I went back to the front desk three times and each time I got a pair of new keys. None of them worked. The earlier room was opening easily. Finally the front desk guy came with me to my room and opened the door. It was Sunday, so he was the only one working. It wasn't easy for either of us but we laughed at it.

Tomorrow we get to see city hall and where the Nobel prize is awarded. I am going to rest and finish packing. I leave for home day after tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Will post a few thoughts about the tour after I get home.

screech

Not sure if you already saw it, or if you have time before you leave, but in Stockholm I recommend visiting the Vasa Museum. It's dedicated to the Vasa ship which sunk on its maiden voyage about 400 years ago. The ship is the centre of the museum and consists of like 98% its original parts from the 1620s. It's a pretty fascinating place.
Also, not for nothing, but the ABBA museum is practically next door if you like awesome Swedish music... (and even if you don't, it's actually a really well done museum)

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Not sure if you already saw it, or if you have time before you leave, but in Stockholm I recommend visiting the Vasa Museum. It's dedicated to the Vasa ship which sunk on its maiden voyage about 400 years ago. The ship is the centre of the museum and consists of like 98% its original parts from the 1620s. It's a pretty fascinating place.
Also, not for nothing, but the ABBA museum is practically next door if you like awesome Swedish music... (and even if you don't, it's actually a really well done museum)
I had one night in Stockholm during a business conference that took place that week on a lovely wooded meeting center and hotel in the countryside several miles away - we drove by the ABBA museum that afternoon but there was a private event that evening and I couldn't actually go inside. :wuzrobbed I am still traumatized to this day.

The Vasa Museum is something that I am definitely visiting if I ever make it back to Stockholm (no work trips in the future, unfortunately, since I plan to retire at the end of January).

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Just saw your post. We visited the Vassa museum and the city hall (where they hold banquets for Nobel laureates) this morning.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 221

Vash, you're lucky that you got sunny weather in Norway! I've been to Norway in all seasons, and you always run the risk of the breathtaking scenery being made dull or invisible by fog and grey weather. Not sure if you made it to Bergen, but I think it's one of the most picturesque cities I've seen.

The ABBA Museum is the most fun museum I've been to in the world, bar none. Hope you make it there, VALuvsMKwan. Stockholm is beautiful in the summer if you want to plan a solstice trip, post-retirement. I have especially good memories of the boat ride to Sandhamn, a beautiful car-free island on the archipelago, on a sunny day. But jeeeeezus, the Baltic is cold.

The Vasa museum is also great - the level of preservation is excellent thanks to the brackish waters. And the city hall is one of the most interesting city halls in the world.

I also looooooooove Helsinki -- Finnish architecture, way of life, people -- and could happily spend a week or more there. And across the sea, Tallinn is simply one of the most beautiful places in Europe and probably the world.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Vash, you're lucky that you got sunny weather in Norway! I've been to Norway in all seasons, and you always run the risk of the breathtaking scenery being made dull or invisible by fog and grey weather. Not sure if you made it to Bergen, but I think it's one of the most picturesque cities I've seen.

The ABBA Museum is the most fun museum I've been to in the world, bar none. Hope you make it there, VALuvsMKwan. Stockholm is beautiful in the summer if you want to plan a solstice trip, post-retirement. I have especially good memories of the boat ride to Sandhamn, a beautiful car-free island on the archipelago, on a sunny day. But jeeeeezus, the Baltic is cold.

The Vasa museum is also great - the level of preservation is excellent thanks to the brackish waters. And the city hall is one of the most interesting city halls in the world.

I also looooooooove Helsinki -- Finnish architecture, way of life, people -- and could happily spend a week or more there. And across the sea, Tallinn is simply one of the most beautiful places in Europe and probably the world.
Our conference was just before the solstice several years ago - having the sun still up at very late hours was :eek:.

I would like very much to be able to return to Stockholm - we took a quick ride around the city, and the water and the bridges and the architecture are just :swoon:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
We didn't have the time for the Abba museum even though we knew it was there. One couple from our group of 40 somehow made it there.

Our tour director played several Abba songs on video before we reached Stockholm. Dancing Queen was special because it showed the scenes from the king's wedding.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It always amazes me that on cruises that visit Scandinavia, the stop in Stockholm seems to be among the shortest. There's a lot to see and do that it would be nice if there was at least a full day.
I didn't take a cruise. We stayed in Stockholm two nights, and Karlstadt one night. Still it was not enough. I enjoyed walking around the city on my own. I walked near the National museum but didn't have enough time to go inside. The cruise in Stockholm was nice. The weather was great the first day, and rainy the next. I didn't mind the rain.

I got home yesterday. It was a hectic trip. We visited six towns in Norway (Oslo, Vradal, Bergen, Sognefjord, and two more, plus we did shopping in Lillehammer and a brief stop in Hamar). So plenty of time in Norway.

I would have liked to see more of Denmark. We stayed there two nights (in Copenhagen) but one of them was the arrival day, so no sightseeing that day. We made the most of the only full day there. What I loved about Denmark was that their college students get not just free tuition, but they get 'student salary'. They get paid for attending college!

I think we covered a lot, but I like to see smaller places in a country, and not just the big cities. So Norway was more enjoyable than the other two countries. I was able to enjoy the natural beauty. The tunnels in Norway were amazing,by their sheer number.

I would have liked to spend more time in Oslo and Sognefjord. I did some sightseeing on my own. A conducted tour has its advantages and the opposite. The tight schedule created some stress but I didn't have to worry about transportation or hotel reservations. My more enjoyable times involved spontaneous decisions to just walk around and see the places.

I was surprised that it was not too cold, nor too rainy. I had carried my waterproof shoes but used them just once. I needed them on the last day when it was pouring,but I didn't have them on. I had already packed them. :)

I enjoyed seeing the museums and other activities- cruises, waterfalls, palaces and city halls, and magnificent scenery. The people were polite and seemed nice.

The return flight was very stressful and tiring. I am resting Now. There is jet lag of course.

I can't believe I have already finished this!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information